PDA

View Full Version : learning a second language for fun

boilermakermom
01-10-2012, 10:44 AM
I want to learn Polish as a second language, and I thought DD could do it with me.

Are there kits/dvds, etc. for learning a second for kids? Rosetta Stone is the only language kit I know of, and they are pricey if I remember correctly.

lizzywednesday
01-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Some public libraries have Rosetta Stone software available for loan or use. I don't know that they would necessarily have Polish available, but it's worth a shot. You never know!

You can also try your local community college to see if there's anyone offering conversational Polish through their adult/community education classes; depending on how old/mature/patient your DD is, you might be able to enroll her in class as well. (I know that my mom would have done this for me!)

(The only language-learning DIY program I can think of for kids is Muzzy, about which I know nothing beyond their commercials, which I find to be dated and quite irritating.)

tiapam
01-10-2012, 06:05 PM
this is supposedly free:

http://www.byki.com/fls/free-polish-software-download.html?l=polish

but i have a feeling they also have a more enhanced product you can pay for. i would check with your public library and ask what they offer online and for actual checkout. i have studied three foreign languages and have always found a class to be the best way. so i would do that if available and affordable. you could also hire a tutor to teach both of you.