PDA

View Full Version : Calculate the nutritional value of your kid's lunch

wellyes
01-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Very neat calculator here: http://www.parenting.com/healthy-lunch-ideas-kids?lnk=nav&loc=recipes

I read about it at It's Not About Nutrition. (http://itsnotaboutnutrition.squarespace.com/home/2012/1/10/what-is-in-your-lunch-box.html) She's a little critical of the calculator, but I see value in it. And I was surprised to learn that a PB&J on whole wheat delivers 100% of a 3 year old's protien needs! PB and milk are more than enough protien for my little girl, which is good to know.

Kindra178
01-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Helpful starting point. I assume the calculator is based on the protein recs provided by the gov't, which, imo, are way too low. We try to encourage protein at every meal.

wellyes
01-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Why do you think they are too low?

My observation is that most parents very strongly emphasize protein but have almost zero concern about their kids' green and orange vegetable intake.

Kindra178
01-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Why do you think they are too low?

My observation is that most parents very strongly emphasize protein but have almost zero concern about their kids' green and orange vegetable intake.

I, too, push the veggies. Sometimes I am successful and other times no. Protein is better for long term energy. I feel like most kids would eat carbs all day long if they could.

kijip
01-10-2012, 03:18 PM
You mean I can't just read the label on the kids Clif Bar?

Kidding. Sort of.

sste
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
I am a little confused about "kid nutrition" at different stages.

I do actually emphasize green veggies and in particular dark, leafy greens. I feel like I have spent recent months neck-deep in kale!! I try with yellow-orange and great on carrots, OK on sweet potato fries, meh on squash with the kids.

I do alot of protein because my kids are baby/toddler and preschool age and my understanding is that their iron requirements are particularly high as are their fat requirements. Higher than for older kids. DD is on a iron-rich diet and we have had her iron tested using the more sensitive blood tests that look at iron stores. IME, it is a real b*tch to increase your kid's iron level. Iron is very, very poorly absorbed particularly by milk-drinking babies and little kids. DD is on an iron supplement, I am giving her daily sources of non-heme iron mixed with vitamin c rich foods, and multiple times per week she has meat, chicken, or fish. She is still on the low side of normal! I have now moved to feeding her meat, chicken or fish every single day and eggs multiple times per week IN ADDITION to other protein sources that we have alot like iron-enriched tofu and bean soup.