PDA

View Full Version : What I learned about Girl Scout cookies...

BabbyO
01-10-2012, 10:55 AM
So I knew the GS used two different companies to make their cookies (thus the different names for some of the same cookies). What I didn't expect is that the ingredients are different in the same cookies.

I was looking because my DS' have an allergy/intolerance to Dairy.

If we get GS cookies made by the ABC cookie company we can eat 5 of the 8 options, including thin mints and peanut butter patties. If the cookies come from Little Brownie Bakers, we can't eat ANY of the cookies, including the thin mints and peanut butter patties. The LBB company has milk or milk products in ALL of their cookies.

I was surprised to find the ingredients so different.

So I guess that was totally random...

nfceagles
01-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I've been looking for cookies from the ABC company. We could eat 2 of them, none from the other. If you figure out how they're divvied up and where to find each let me know. I'm guessing it's geographic, but I don't know.

WatchingThemGrow
01-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Probably very good information for lots of people! I wonder if certain states/areas get cookies from one company or from both?

BabbyO
01-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I've been looking for cookies from the ABC company. We could eat 2 of them, none from the other. If you figure out how they're divvied up and where to find each let me know. I'm guessing it's geographic, but I don't know.

My understanding is that it is geographic and depends on the local council and who they decide is going to provide their cookies. Around here, the cookie sheets say right on them which baker provides the cookies. I would think you could look up and call your local council to determine which baker provides the cookies.

Probably very good information for lots of people! I wonder if certain states/areas get cookies from one company or from both?

It depends on the coucil that the troop belongs to. We have girls from 2 families that send their cookie sheet into the office and they often have different prices because the cookies are provided by different bakers. So you just need to know what council you're purchasing from...or as I said, the sheets I've seen in the last 2 years note right on the sheet what baker is providing the cookies.

scrooks
01-10-2012, 11:38 AM
The cookies definitely taste different baker to baker. They changed bakeries in our local area and they changed back the next year because of the public outcry!:ROTFLMAO:

veronica
01-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Somoas are so different per bakery. Makes me sad now :(

lizzywednesday
01-10-2012, 11:50 AM
The bakery each council sells is determined by the council.

In NJ, the Lenni Lenape Council in North Jersey (Passaic, Sussex and possibly Morris Counties) sells Little Brownie.

The Raritan Valley Council in Central Jersey (Middlesex & possibly Monmouth) sells ABC. I thought that the DelVal Council in PA also sells ABC (my only evidence of this is that their bulletin board on 95 shows the "Caramel De-Lite" cookie and not the "Samoa" - the De-Lite is slightly hexagonal while the Samoa is round) - nfceagles: do you know which council is in your area?

I don't have allergy concerns, but I do have taste particularities and prefer Little Brownie. (And, as a kid, I sold Little Brownie.)

ray7694
01-10-2012, 12:00 PM
I just heard on the radio this morning that Central IL uses ABC. They also stated that the new cookie the smile is made by the Little Brownie Company only.

AnnieW625
01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
LA County uses Little Brownie Bakers, and Orange County has ABC. LBB has Samoas and ABC has Carmel de Lites.

LBB has a find cookie locator so if you type in your zip code and it diesn't come out then you have ABC. Little Brownie Cookie Locater (//cookielocator.littlebeownie.com/)

I used to think I preferred ABC because that is what I sold, but last year I only bought ABC and was somewhat disappointed with my cookies. They tasted a tad dry.

buddyleebaby
01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
That must be frustrating. I hope you can find someone selling ABC.

We prefer Little Brownie Bakers primarily because I think they taste much better, but also because we can buy more corn syrup free varieties through them. ABC had corn syrup or HFCS in all but one of their varieties , which was a no-go for us.