PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider cocktail attire?

HIU8
01-10-2012, 11:37 AM
DH and I have a party this weekend. The invite says cocktail attire. Last year I went in a sleeveless dress that I have worn to black tie weddings. I was not overdressed. However, even with a pashmina, I was FREEZING. This year I want to dress warmer (I'm always cold). I have a chiffon skirt that I can wear and pair with a fancy black and white jacket that you have to wear an inset with (I have several of these some fancier and some more casual---I would go fancier of course). The jacket is waist length (almost like a woman's short suit jacket but not as conservative). Do you think I can get away with an outifit like this or am I tied to a cocktail dress?

iaam
01-10-2012, 11:52 AM
If it were me, I would stick to a cocktail dress (and complain about the cold)!

boolady
01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
If it were me, I would stick to a cocktail dress (and complain about the cold)!

:yeahthat:
Do you have a cute cardigan, either solid or patterned, that you could wear over the black cocktail dress to help combat the cold?

SnuggleBuggles
01-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I would also just wear a dress and suck it up. :) It may be warmer this year!

wendmatt
01-10-2012, 12:09 PM
I hate being cold so would wear what was comfortable, I don't really understand what you are describing but if it's dressy and you think it's OK then you should wear it and be comfortable. If you went last year you'll know what the general attire is and will know if it would be OK.

HIU8
01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm trying on all the outfits tonight and making a decision. I remember most of the younger women (read 30 and under) in very slinky dresses that were pretty short and showed way more skin than I could ever do. 30-40 were in what I consider a more appropriate cocktail dress (black, knee length, sleeveless or cap sleeve type) with some sort of shawl. 40 and over were in more conservative suite like dresses. I guess since I'm turning 41 in 10 days I can go either way.....I may be posting pictures later.