PDA

View Full Version : should i move DS to bed before baby comes?

lmh2402
01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Yes, we’ve got plenty of time. But I’m getting so much pressure all of a sudden, many uninvited sources. Asking when (why it hasn’t happened already?!) we will be moving DS into a bed.

DS loves his crib. He is happy to get in for nap and nighttime. He has never once asked about a bed.

My thought is why rock the boat, but my mother is insisting that we will “of course” have to make the switch “well before” July, so he’s adjusted by the time the baby arrives.

Baby will be getting their own furniture, and when we’re ready, DS’ crib will convert – we’ve already got the conversion set sitting in the basement.

So, just wondering. Should I be planning to switch before baby comes?

If so, when? And…why?

Thanks

o_mom
01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
If you are planning on getting a second crib, why bother? No need to add another adjustment in. I would tell your mother that if *she* would like to come stay and put him down for naps, bedtime and return him to the bed everytime, you might think about it. All else fails - blame the doctor "Oh, Dr So-and-so said that we should minimize disruptions and not try to change that right now."

MamaMolly
01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Wait, is Baby getting his own crib? If so, people are probably just wrongly assuming that your DS is handing his down. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Just tell the Nosey Parkers that you've got it under control. ;) Don't engage and they can't argue.

arivecchi
01-10-2012, 01:42 PM
HELL NO!

Leave him in his crib! You don't want another source of sleep disruption!

JoyNChrist
01-10-2012, 01:44 PM
HELL NO!

Amen! If everybody's happy and sleeping well, leave that ALONE!

The only reason we moved DS1 before the babies were born is because we moved and he was excited about buying a new bed. And he was 3.5 and huge. ;)

janine
01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
how old is your DS?

Our DD was 3 when DD2 arrived and we did get her whole big girl bed/room set up well before the baby arrived. It does allow for adjustment, plus it was easier on us too in that it was done and not another thing to work on once the baby was here. DD1 loved her crib too- never once made an attempt to escape. But at 2.5 I figured she was ready and we started talking up the big bed that was coming. We let her choose her own bedding (well the color at least - pink of course) and I was surprised but she was estatic once it arrived and didn't seem to care about the crib. I also changed all the crib bedding so I don't even think she realizes it was hers!

So I do recommend making the transition before and with enough time to adjust. Because if in worse case he rejects his big bed it gives you time to work on it or come up with Plan b.

I see I'm in the minority though, so I guess ultimately it's up to you. In our case DD never got out of bed until we showed up (and still doesn't) so that piece wasn't an issue for us. Also we did not get another crib, but a whole new bedroom set for DD1 instead (we also have a convertible but decided to go for new big kid furniture instead).

JBaxter
01-10-2012, 01:48 PM
hell no!

this!!!!!

mommylamb
01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
HELL NO!

:yeahthat: No way in hell would I move him. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

My DS also loved his crib, and was in it until after he turned 3. We had a seamless move to a twin bed at that point.

daisymommy
01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Amen! If everybody's happy and sleeping well, leave that ALONE!

Yeah that! Why invite trouble upon yourself if everything is working for you, and you're getting another crib too? Its fine developmentally, I promise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178
01-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Leave him. What's the reason to switch? I would wait until he's well over three.

lmh2402
01-10-2012, 01:52 PM
thanks, all. this confirms my thoughts

baby will have their own crib.

DS will be 3 yrs, 3 mnths when baby arrives

and he too is huge. but he fits in his crib and he's happy in there. he actually seems to love it. and that is just fine by me. ;)

scrooks
01-10-2012, 01:54 PM
HELL NO!

:yeahthat: Seriously, buying a second crib was the best $$ we ever spent on baby gear!

elektra
01-10-2012, 02:02 PM
HELL NO!

One more :yeahthat: to this. :)

jgenie
01-10-2012, 02:10 PM
:yeahthat: Seriously, buying a second crib was the best $$ we ever spent on baby gear!

:yeahthat: So, so true for us!!

swissair81
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
HELL NO!

:yeahthat:

If I was really smart, I would have bought a second crib. DS would still be sleeping peacefully in a crib. I moved him when DD3 moved to a crib at 6 months or so.

WatchingThemGrow
01-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Sleeping peacefully, but waking to quite the opposite...hmmm... have you tried him in another bed or do you not want to rock the boat? Just wondering...

lmh2402
01-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Sleeping peacefully, but waking to quite the opposite...hmmm... have you tried him in another bed or do you not want to rock the boat? Just wondering...

ah yes, this is of course the nuance...right?

we have an appt with an ENT on fri to discuss apnea.

i haven't tried him any other bed b/c really, it's the only place that he appears to sleep well - much like the other traveling thread, DS is not a happy traveler b/c he just doesn't sleep. only other place he sleeps is in the crib that my parents have at their house, i assume b/c it's familiar to him and has been the same for as long as he can remember.

klwa
01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
We moved DS about the time we found out DD was coming, but that was because we did NOT plan to buy a new crib. I'm with the others. Don't move him until you & he are ready if you're getting a second crib!

wendibird22
01-10-2012, 02:41 PM
If it works for you and you are ok with a 2nd crib then by all means leave him.

We did however move DD1 before DD2s arrival because we didn't want a 2nd crib. We moved DD1 to a twin mattress on the floor when she was 27 mo. We were thinking like you mom...needing time to adjust/transition...but you know what, she slept on it for her first nap and never looked back. Never asked for the crib and never once got out of the bed. She'd yell to us when she was awake to come get her. So, though we had planned for a 4 mo buffer for "transition" she didn't need it and so that crib sat empty for about 6 mos (4mos plus 2mos when DD2 arrived and was in a PNP in our room).

All that to say that if you want to try moving, there's also no harm in that either. DD1 never asked for a big kid bed but loved it once we had it and really there was no transition needed.

BabbyO
01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
We had no intention of moving DS1 to a big boy bed when DS2 was on the way. We got the second crib, then 1 month before DS1 turned 2 (about 3 mo before EDD with DS2) DS1 decided to start climbing out of his crib.

We ended up converting his crib to the toddler bed. That said...I'm still glad we got a second crib. We moved DS1 to a new bedroom about 2 mo before DS2 arrived and his bed/crib was the one thing that remained constant for him.

AnnieW625
01-10-2012, 03:16 PM
DD1 one day at 27 months decided she didn't want her crib anymore . It was completely out of the blue. If it were me I would just wait as long as possible to make a decision unless you have a crib you know you want already for the baby and need to order a crib a couple of months in advance. The practical side of me would hate to buy a crib and then all of a sudden not need a second crib and not be able to resell it.

If it matters any the first couple of weeks in a bed vs. the crib are pure hell (getting to sleep is the worst), but it slowly gets easier. Best thing we did was put the gate on the door do SdD1 couldn't get out.

BabyBearsMom
01-10-2012, 03:51 PM
DD1 will be 2 when DD2 gets here. I have no intention of moving DD1 out of her crib until she decides she is done with it. The last thing I need is my toddler on the loose when I am dealing with a newborn in the middle of the night.

KpbS
01-10-2012, 04:10 PM
DS loves his crib. He is happy to get in for nap and nighttime. He has never once asked about a bed.

HELL NO!

a big :yeahthat: to that.

Leave him. What's the reason to switch? I would wait until he's well over three.

This is what we did with each of ours. Worked great. And a big pass the bean dip to anyone who is pressuring you to otherwise.

vludmilla
01-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I would not move a perfectly happy child out of their crib. I can see no benefit to making that change before he and you are ready. DD was in her crib until 3.5 because she liked it and was safe there (no attempts to climb out).

nfowife
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Echo everyone else. Leave him be!

Why are people so obsessed with getting kids out of a crib? I don't get it!

theriviera
01-10-2012, 05:25 PM
HELL NO!

:yeahthat: DD1 is the same age as your DS and we have no intention of making the switch any time soon.

swissair81
01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I actually have my DS sleeping in a pack n play now. We're still staying in a hotel, and I can't have him wandering around at night. The seamless transition back to 'crib' from sleeping in a bed for more than 6 months, tells me that he should have just stayed in the crib. He feels so secure there.

elephantmeg
01-10-2012, 06:02 PM
hell to the no