PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 3rd grade math strategies??

SASM
01-10-2012, 02:55 PM
PLEASE HELP...DS is in 3rd grade. Academics has always been a struggle for him, since 3yo preschool. With hard work, he has shown signs of improvement throughout the years with various challenges such as ABCs, reading/comprehension, & writing. Math has been his main issue for 2nd and 3rd grades. He has qualified for additional help but it really does not seem to help. The more intensive program was cut by the state so it seems that is all that the school can offer. His teacher seems very matter-of-fact as well, not offering any suggestions, other than referring us to his webpage, which we already use. DS is REALLY STRUGGLING and it is only going to get worse. DS seems to respond well to technology so we have math games for the DS, math apps for the iPod, and a few math websites as well, which seem to help somewhat, but I'd really like to supplement the electronics with something else. Please...any other suggestions or tips??? THANK YOU SOOO MUCH, I hope!

Elilly
01-10-2012, 03:00 PM
What specifically does he need assistance with? Adding, subtracting, multiplication?

SASM
01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
What specifically does he need assistance with? Adding, subtracting, multiplication?
ALL of it. :( He freezes/meltdowns with even the simplest addition or subtraction in spiral review homework. :( Doesn't matter the time of day, before or after snacks, before or after activity, weeknight or weekend. Thank you.

kijip
01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Have you looked into tutoring or after school help?

We have not used the centers but one of the things we have liked is the Kumon workbooks.

Have you used any math manipulatives with him? Sometimes seeing and touching make all the difference vs. paper/screen only.

Kindra178
01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Do manipulatives work for you guys? I think actually seeing/feeling/touching actually helps make math more concrete. If you ask my 5.5 year what's 4 plus 3, he gets there eventually but if you say, "You have four pieces of candy and Mommy gives you 3 more" he gets to 7 immediately.

Look into Montessori math materials as well. It's a great, concrete approach to math.

SASM
01-10-2012, 03:19 PM
We HAVE tried manipulatives. I am going to the teachers supply store tomorrow...I'll look into the Kumon book and see if they have anything Montessori-ish. We are looking into a tutor. He qualified for after-school help last year but it is supposedly NOT available in this grade...WHY I have NO idea.

Kindra178
01-10-2012, 03:28 PM
We HAVE tried manipulatives. I am going to the teachers supply store tomorrow...I'll look into the Kumon book and see if they have anything Montessori-ish. We are looking into a tutor. He qualified for after-school help last year but it is supposedly NOT available in this grade...WHY I have NO idea.

I am not sure what state you are in but I think you need to push the teacher/principal/district to get extra help. It may be helpful to have a conference with the teacher and figure out what he or she can do, what you can do, etc. If the conference doesn't get you anywhere, I think you need to get the principal involved.

Green_Tea
01-10-2012, 03:39 PM
If he is struggling with *all* aspects of math, I would not look for books/resources that address 3rd grade concepts. I'd go back to 1st and 2nd grade concepts and work on those. Math is a subject that spirals and builds on itself. If he struggles with addition and subtraction, he will likely struggle with multiplications and division too. It is better for him to lag behind but develop a strong foundation, because then he has a fighting chance at actually catching up. Attacking 3rd grade concepts without that foundation will be frustrating for you and for him. I'd look for addition/subtraction resources like books, manipulative and apps - look for stuff he's already mastered to build his confidence, and then move on to stuff that's just *slightly* harder.

Has the school given you information about assessments they've performed, and where, exactly, he falls in terms of his peers? If he is truly far behind them and you are in a public school, they are obligated to get him the help he needs. Usually they are very interested in getting kids up to speed in math because it is a huge component of standardized testing, which typically commences in 3rd grade.

wendmatt
01-10-2012, 03:48 PM
If he is struggling with *all* aspects of math, I would not look for books/resources that address 3rd grade concepts. I'd go back to 1st and 2nd grade concepts and work on those. Math is a subject that spirals and builds on itself. If he struggles with addition and subtraction, he will likely struggle with multiplications and division too. It is better for him to lag behind but develop a strong foundation, because then he has a fighting chance at actually catching up. Attacking 3rd grade concepts without that foundation will be frustrating for you and for him. I'd look for addition/subtraction resources like books, manipulative and apps - look for stuff he's already mastered to build his confidence, and then move on to stuff that's just *slightly* harder.

Has the school given you information about assessments they've performed, and where, exactly, he falls in terms of his peers? If he is truly far behind them and you are in a public school, they are obligated to get him the help he needs. Usually they are very interested in getting kids up to speed in math because it is a huge component of standardized testing, which typically commences in 3rd grade.

Totally agree with this. Also in 3rd grade it's a lot of memorization (multiplication facts) and they should already know their addition and subtraction facts. My DD used to practice her math facts (+ _ ) by jumping over her dads outstretched legs. He'd hold up a flash card and she'd jump over as she said it, being physical while she was practicing really helped. Right now in 3rd grade they are counting money, adding subtracting etc. Can you get a pile of coins and notes and let him count up how much a video game costs, how much he has to save etc, make it real for him. Good luck

KpbS
01-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Since you mention he does well with electronic type teaching tools, I highly, highly recommend the website, IXL http://www.ixl.com/promo?partner=google&phrase=IXL%20-%20Branded%20-%20Arkansas&gclid=CKeDs7eexq0CFSwBQAodrBGIfw It is awesome!!! The work is fun (yet purely educational) and separated by grade level and skill. Since he is struggling (and behind I am assuming) he may need to work below third grade level to begin. If you explain this to him hopefully he won't mind and can make some good progress. :hug:

ellies mom
01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Have you looked at the Kahn Academy website? It has videos and practice exercises. It starts with basic addition and he can progress through it at his own pace. It is pretty neat. They earn points and rewards so there can be a motivation component to it. When they master one subject, it directs them to another subject, sometimes giving a choice of subjects so you can see what he needs to master to be ready for a specific topic. I used it to review for a math test this fall and it was nice because if I was struggling with one topic, I could trace back to the topic I had forgotten. The other nice thing is that you can be a "coach" and view their progress and see how they are doing.

What I would probably do is to start right at the very beginning now to see where he is and get him started while I worked with the school to get him the help he needs. I would probably try to start off with some sort of reward to help get him past his initial anxiety. Like maybe a small treat for making it to level 3 or getting X number of points or I don't know whatever you think might get him playing around with it.

SASM
01-10-2012, 05:56 PM
A HUGE "Thank You!!" to everyone for your wonderful suggestions I am going to look into the websites tonight. More importantly, I am going to inquire tomorrow with the principal. I have had numerous conversations and emails with his teacher regarding his difficulties, so the principal is definitely the next step. I am not hopeful, though, as we REALLY do not care for the principal's methods. She tends to brush off a lot of issues that we've brought to her attn in the past. :( Needless to say, we are definitely looking forward to a new school in the Fall. THANK YOU!!!!!! Any more suggestions...please keep them coming! What a wonderful start!