PDA

View Full Version : is your Montessori school AMI or AMS certified?

AnnieW625
01-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I am just beginning to think about preschool for DD2 and both DH and I think she'd benefit greatly from a Montessori preschool education. My problem is there is only one AMS certified school in our area, and it is about 10 miles from our house, but at least can be on my way to and from work. We are in SE LA County that borders the middle west to SW Orange County. I used to work at a AMS school in college (now it is AMI certified) and it was very by the book and that is what I want. I do not want a school that claims to be Montessori that really isn't. So if your kids go to a Montessori school is it certified, or was that not a factor for you?

If you are local to my area please send me a PM if you have any input on Montessori schools in my area.

Kindra178
01-10-2012, 04:46 PM
My twins' school is AMS, but they will most likely be AMI in a few years. AMS is still an excellent certification. From what I understand, AMI has some annoying rules like if you have a toddler program, it has to be 5 days a week. That doesn't affect the primary program at all, but AMI won't certify a school unless it meets all the criteria.

essnce629
01-10-2012, 06:48 PM
The Montessori school that DS2 and I attend for our weekly parent & me class (and that he'll hopefully be attending for preschool) is not certified by either, but is very traditional and by the book, which is also what I wanted.

I would think that since you actually used to work at a Montessori school you would be able to tell right away during your observation if the school was traditional Montessori or not. I had never stepped foot in a Montessori school, but after reading up on the Montessori method online and a book I got I was able to tell immediately that the first two Montessori schools I visited were strictly Montessori and very by the book. The third school I went to, I knew from the minute I pulled into the parking lot, that it was not a true Montessori-- the kids were all running around outside at 10am (isn't this the typical "work" time?), the school reeked of cleaning chemicals, they had a "tv room" and computer area (this is only a school that went up to age 6), they had very little traditional Montessori materials, on Fridays they didn't really follow a schedule and just "ordered pizza for the kids and did a lot of art" (yes the director told me this!!!!), and they provided lunch for the kids and the menu consisted of more pizza, chicken nuggets, and burgers.

Here is the list of questions I took with me on all my observations. They are mostly yes/no questions that I was able to check off while I observed.

Montessori Observation
 Name of School:
 Location of School:
 Tuition:
 Notes on Financial Programs:
 Notes on Teacher Training:
 Experience With Children Who Have Special Needs:

 Children choosing activities themselves, having sustained focus on the activities, and caring for the classroom and materials. Y | N
 Work period close to 3 hours. Y | N
 Children working and helping one another in a natural way (without looking for approval or praise from adults). Y | N
 Older children giving lessons to the younger ones. Y | N
 Children solving their own disputes without adult intervention. If adult intervention is involved, please make exact notes. Y | N
 Minimal behavioral management does not involve yelling, threatening, etc. Y | N
 An orderly, pleasant environment, with materials that are attractive, complete, and well-cared for. Y | N
 The presence of traditional Montessori materials. Minimal “toys,” and all toys have a specific lesson-based purpose. Y | N
 Child sized furniture and equipment, and materials at the children’s level, set up in orderly and accessible ways. Y | N
 Children moving about and talking to one another freely, but still respecting each other's space. Y | N
 Teachers who speak quietly and respectfully to the children. Y | N
 Teachers giving individual or small group lessons. Y | N
 Teachers journaling and/or actively observing the classroom in action, without taking an active role. Y | N

Observations From Conversation with Teacher or Administrator:
 Notes on Depth of Teacher/Administrative Understanding of the Work:
 Notes on Depth of Teacher/Administrative Understanding of the Philosophy:

What is the typical daily schedule? What are drop off and pick up procedures? How does parent-school/teacher communication take place?
 What are the clothing and personal item restrictions?
 Is the school AMS or AMI or [insert other] oriented? What is the training most common among staff? Is circle time a regular or unusual part of the class schedule?
 How are lessons presented? How is a child’s progress through materials monitored?
 Where does the school expect children to be at the end of the 3-6 year old period? Does the school offer Montessori for children older than six, and if so, what percentage of children continue at the school?
 How does the school describe it’s approach to discipline? (Also, any concerns such as lack of boundaries placed on restraint, etc.)
 Are teachers ever one-on-one with a child or class of children? In what type of scenarios? For what length of time?
 What type of scenario would signal to the teacher/administrator that Montessori or that the school is not a good fit? Are there any types of students who the teacher/administrator feels would have a harder time in the school? What type of testing is required for admission/what’s the admission criterion?
 Are there any “specials” offered, and if so, how frequently and at what cost (gym, music, foreign languages, etc…)
 What is the teacher turnover rate? Do staff members appear happy and satisfied by their work? What is the level of support and compensation of staff?
 How does the school describe its approach to diversity? What is the classroom approach to family structure diversity (adoption, same-sex parents, etc.)? What is the current level of diversity (gender, ethnicity, race, first language, family structure, etc.) among the children, their families, and the staff:
 Notes on the facility (playground, library, garden, etc.):
 Notes on general sense of the school:

Overall sense of the school on a scale of 1-10

Questions
"Why is choice important in the classroom?"
"Why don't you do worksheets and workbooks?"

smilequeen
01-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Ours is AMS. Either way, you do have to observe what they do, but they should both be pretty by the book if they are certified, but AMS is a little more open to change...a little modernization of Montessori whereas AMI tends to do things exactly how Maria Montessori would have done them. Some Montessorians prefer one or the other. I think it's going to depend on the school. I went to an AMI school to observe too and I really liked it, but the AMS school was warmer and friendlier and a little more creative. It just suited my guys a little bit better. Plus ours has a traditional upper elementary and my husband was happier with that :)