PDA

View Full Version : Help for DH -anxiety: therapy, meds?

niccig
01-10-2012, 05:09 PM
DH doesn't do well with any medical procedure. He's very squeamish about needles, and is often sedated for things that they normal do under local, as he'll start to have a panic attack. He had an MRI 18 months ago and has been claustrophobic since, mostly just on planes, but as we travel a lot, so this is an issue.

Today after an incident at urologist's office when consulting about a vasectomy, he finally agreed to see our Dr about the anxiety. He was just reading about the procedure, nothing medical happened to him today. I think maybe some therapy as well to talk about the anxiety. He feels awful about how he reacts, like he should be able to man-up, and says he's a wimp. And it probably doesn't help that I'm half his size and I don't flinch when I have anything done to me.

He's not anxious about other things. It's medical procedures, and now claustrophobia.

I did tell him that we can put the Vasectomy on hold, no rush, and we have other BC options, so we don't have to do it. He still scheduled it today, as they're going to give him xanax to take before he comes him, twilight anasthesia. I told him to really think about it, as he doesn't have to have this done.

Thanks.

sste
01-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Oh the poor guy.

I would try a therapist specializing in cognitive-behav. therapy for phobias and anxiety. He sounds like he has phobias. Per my neuropsych friend, meds plus therapy are most effective but CBT alone is as effective or more effective than meds. I think there are reasons to save meds for a last resort so I tend to think CBT first. He probably won't need a ton of sessions- - it works pretty fast.

The only thing that made me a little bit concerned is that your DH seems to be adding new phobias. I wonder if that is due to some underlying anxiety or stress and instead of being able to process it as a work stress issue for example it kind of pops up as a newfound terror of medical procedures? A therapist should be able to help with that too.

You should ask your former therapist for recs for a phobia person. Always best to ask a good therapist for recs ime.

Good luck!

pinkmomagain
01-10-2012, 05:45 PM
My DH uses Xanax when he flies in a plane. It's the type of med that can be taken situationally.

DrSally
01-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I think CBT for anxiety could be helpful. I also don't think it's the end of the world to take some meds situationally in order to undergo certain proceedures. But, since this isn't an urgent medical need, he may find therapy helpful, as he can use the skills in all situations. He's lucky to have a wife who is so supportive and understanding as you are. It's definitely not something he can control right now or just "man up", feeling bad about it only makes things worse. You can see why anxiety and depression are so closely linked.

niccig
01-10-2012, 10:07 PM
He's lucky to have a wife who is so supportive and understanding as you are. It's definitely not something he can control right now or just "man up", feeling bad about it only makes things worse. You can see why anxiety and depression are so closely linked.

Don't give my any props. At first, I didn't realise how bad he was feeling and I was thinking "come on, get over this", so glad I didn't say anything. But then I realised how bad he was, didn't help that he didn't have any breakfast this morning. I know he has no control over how he feels...and it is difficult for me to understand, as I've never felt that way about these things. The Dr. was great and without asking said if you decide to go ahead, there's things we can do to help - zanax, twilight etc.

I think he needs to feel more in control so seeing someone to work out how to deal with the situations that cause anxiety will help a lot.