PDA

View Full Version : Do 3 year olds teethe?

L'sMommy
01-10-2012, 11:27 PM
So, DS has been complaining that his mouth hurts. But he also says his back hurts when he doesn't want to do something so I'm wondering if he's making it up that his mouth hurts. BUT, I have no idea where he could have come up with his mouth hurting as an excuse. I get the "back hurts" thing because DH has a lot of back problems and often says his back hurts. So I'm wondering if he's teething and his mouth really hurts, and he's not making it up.

rlu
01-11-2012, 01:50 PM
It seemed DS had teeth coming in for years and years. I think up until 5 or so is totally normal? Maybe some of our dental professionals will chime in.

DS got the red flags on his cheeks, elevated temperature and sometimes his stomach hurt (excess drool?) when he was teething. Plus, you know, he tried to eat his fingers (i.e. he was always putting his fingers in his mouth).

crl
01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Does he have his second year molars yet? Ds' came in really early the ped said it was more common during the second year, so maybe your ds is just late with those?

Catherine

secchick
01-11-2012, 03:16 PM
DS iwill be 3 in a couple months and he is just getting in some new molars. I assumed he was teething when he had an onslaught of excessive drooling, and just yesterday when I was brushing,I notices that they new teeth were just poking through.

BabbyO
01-11-2012, 03:30 PM
If he doesn't have 2nd year molars, I'd say, "yes." He could be teething. DS1 is 2.5 and has only 1 molar that you can see is starting to think about poking through. The other 3 are no where to be found...I expect he'll get them around 3. We actually saw our Ped this morning and she asked about them...and mentioned that the 2nd year molars take a long time and are generally painful.