PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way an ipad could be a bad gift for DH?

Canna
01-11-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm seriously considering buying an ipad for DH's birthday soon. He's never expressed any interest in one, but his computer is from work and it's kind of clunky and not a pleasure to use for surfing the internet. He also doesn't have any kind of ereader (I have a Kindle that's a couple of years old).

He wouldn't be able to use the ipad for checking his work email, however, because work stuff has to be super-secure.

He's also reluctant to buy expensive toys for himself, so it falls into the category of things I think he would never get himself.

Does this sound like a good birthday present? I know I'd like one!!

ALSO - Any thoughts on how many GBs one really needs for this device??

wellyes
01-11-2012, 11:51 AM
If he's anxious about $$ it might not be a great gift. Otherwise it's an 100% awesome present!! You can get the smallest one in terms of GB, since most people use it to stream music and tv/movies instead of storing.

He wouldn't be able to use the ipad for checking his work email, however, because work stuff has to be super-secure

You never know, many companies are developing secure apps for their employees or work through one of the apps designed for just that (for example activesync).

arivecchi
01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
I recently got my DH a refurb original ipad. He was happy that I did not pay full price and he absolutely loves it. I would not get less than 32GB. He uses it for web surfing and to read. He has a kindle too but prefers the kindle app on the ipad. HTH.

P.S. I also got him an Amazon Basics wireless keyboard so he does use it for some work-related things as well.

hillview
01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
I got DH one and he loves it. He is not a techie.

AnnieW625
01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
IPad3 might be coming out soon as iPad2 has been put for almost a year now. I would wait for that just in case ipad2 gets cheaper so Tgat might be my only reason for not getting one now.

larig
01-11-2012, 12:47 PM
IPad3 might be coming out soon as iPad2 has been put for almost a year now. I would wait for that just in case ipad2 gets cheaper so Tgat might be my only reason for not getting one now.

It's looking like March for ipad3. (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/11/ipad-3-production-underway-for-early-march-shipments/)

It will likely have better cameras and a new retina display. These things may or may not matter to you or your DH, but the ipad2 will likely be a little cheaper after the release...some people get pissed when something they buy is upgraded 2 months down the road and some are just happy to have the older tech to use for those 2 months that they'd have been waiting for the upgrade.

amldaley
01-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Eh. I did not want one and never asked for one but received one for X-Mas. It is handy in certain situations, like sitting on the sofa with DD or sitting in bed to surf, but I detest typing on it, find surfing on it is not as convenient as I would like, and find myself reverting to my laptop nightly anyway.

As far as gadgets go, it is cool, for sure. I just don't really find it useful for the types of computer activity I mostly do.

For the same money or close to it, you could buy him a new laptop that he WOULD be able to use for work emails, etc.

hwin708
01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Eh. I did not want one and never asked for one but received one for X-Mas. It is handy in certain situations, like sitting on the sofa with DD or sitting in bed to surf, but I detest typing on it, find surfing on it is not as convenient as I would like, and find myself reverting to my laptop nightly anyway.

As far as gadgets go, it is cool, for sure. I just don't really find it useful for the types of computer activity I mostly do.

For the same money or close to it, you could buy him a new laptop that he WOULD be able to use for work emails, etc.Agreed. I find typing really inconvenient. Yes, you can get a keyboard for iPads, but then it's hard to use easily on your lap.

I like the iPad for traveling and when I quickly need to look at images online, like when I had a contractor over the other day, and I could flip through images to show him what I was after as we wandered through the house. But when I'm doing more aimless web surfing or, for instance, typing on this board, I want my desktop or laptop.

I can't speak for you DH, but you may want to hint around, just discussing how cool iPads are and how much fun it would be to have one etc, to see if he shares any of your interest. Also, you mentioned that you had a Kindle and he did not - has he ever expressed any interest in yours? Some people (myself included) just don't like e-readers. Again, very convenient for travel, which I do often. But at home, I want a real book in my hands.

karstmama
01-11-2012, 06:10 PM
just as a thought, look at a kindle fire & see if that fits your (his) needs better. it sure is cheaper & does quite a bit.

maestramommy
01-11-2012, 06:28 PM
If your Dh is anything like mine, it wouldn't be a good gift, from ME, that is. Because:

1) $$$
2) He's not very keen on Apple products. doesn't like that everything is "locked up."
3) Probably wouldn't like that he'd need to buy a data plan to use the online features. That's what you have to do, right?

Otherwise, I think it's an AWESOME gift. Just not for everyone.

crl
01-11-2012, 06:56 PM
No need for a data plan with an iPad. Mine hooks in through our wireless network.

Dh works for a huge international law firm that handles cases and deals in the billions of dollars. Trust me they take security seriously. He can check work email on both his iPhone and his iPad. He has some explanation as to why this is more secure than a blackberry. So it may be possible for your dh to check work email on an iPad.

I love mine. Love, love, love it. Hate it when I have to use a laptop now. I did not want one--dh surprised me with it as a birthday gift. First techie gift I have ever actually liked!

But not everyone does love them so it's hard to say for sure.

Catherine

hoodlims
01-11-2012, 07:09 PM
If your DH is anything like mine, this could be a very bad gift because he would never sleep nor shower as he would be glued to the thing. In other words, he'd love it, but maybe a little bit too much!

larig
01-11-2012, 07:43 PM
If your Dh is anything like mine, it wouldn't be a good gift, from ME, that is. Because:

1) $$$
2) He's not very keen on Apple products. doesn't like that everything is "locked up."
3) Probably wouldn't like that he'd need to buy a data plan to use the online features. That's what you have to do, right?

Otherwise, I think it's an AWESOME gift. Just not for everyone.

Just to clarify a few things.
2) iOS devices can be jailbroken for people who have that interest/inclination. (My techie programmer hubby does not have interest in that, because he does that for a living and really just wants something that works and works well.)

3) you don't need to buy a data plan or a 3G model to use the online features, because all of them have wifi built in. We have just had wifi models. As long as you've got wifi in your house, and that's where your DH is going to use it, I don't see the point in a 3g model (it's just $150 extra). There have been a few times when it would have been nice (like on the drive from WA to AZ), but we have iPhones too, so to me it would have been overkill. (If i had unlimited funds, maybe I"d get the 3G, but I don't, so ....)

Like your DH, he has a work computer at home, but the iPad is his primary personal computing device. He is NOT a big poster on boards, so the virtual keyboard is no big deal for him. I think it would be for me, mostly because I'm super long-winded and like to post here and a few other places online. He has a Facebook account, but doesn't post stuff there. He mainly uses it to consume media (surf, watch netflix, watch ripped movies...) and to record his own music (he is also a musician) with Garageband (which is an amazing piece of software and really showcases the iPad's user interface's strengths). He does have a keyboard for it, but he just doesn't type stuff in his day-to-day personal life. (work's another story.) I also just picked up a stylus for him at TJ Maxx. He was pleased with it.

larig
01-14-2012, 11:38 AM
The iPad 3 (from the rumors) (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/13/ipad-3-with-lte-quad-core-processor-and-retina-display-set-for-march-launch/) sounds to be pretty souped up, relative to the 2.