PDA

View Full Version : Ever Used Kiddie Transport/Limo or Hired Driver?

sste
01-11-2012, 02:15 PM
We are thinking about enrolling DS in a camp that is 15 minutes a way. Our regular nanny does not drive - - and we love her too much to ever part with her.

I found a kiddie limo service but (this is not PC! Warning!) I am freaked out by the fact that the drivers are men and DS could potentially be alone in the car with them. Also I suspect the owner may have answered the phone when he was driving though I am not sure of that.

We could also hire someone privately and pay them $15 bucks per ride or something like that. It is pretty hard to find someone who can do that small of a job and I would be nervous that camp time would come and we wouldn't have found someone.

Anyone hired drivers or kiddie limo services or the like? Thoughts or experiences?

pinkmomagain
01-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Well if he's got hands-free bluetooth, then he could've answered the phone while driving legally.

That said, have you thought about trying to carpool with a fellow camper (or straight compensating another mom if you cannot reciprocate in any way) or looking for a camp that provides bussing?

sste
01-11-2012, 02:31 PM
pinkmomagain, I thought about carpooling/paying another mom but what scares me is that I will need to enroll and forego other camps and then hope that that works out. DS is only four and I feel like car seats have greatly complicated carpooling -- you not only need someone willing to do it/be paid for it but also they either need a large SUV/minivan or only one kid of their own.

I can't find any camps with bussing. I need to look into this further. I suspect there may be more of that once DS is older. And I can wait on this camp for another year it is not going anywhere. But we were excited because it offered swim 4X per week and jewish education (JCC camp).

Kindra178
01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
We are thinking about enrolling DS in a camp that is 15 minutes a way. Our regular nanny does not drive - - and we love her too much to ever part with her.

I found a kiddie limo service but (this is not PC! Warning!) I am freaked out by the fact that the drivers are men and DS could potentially be alone in the car with them. Also I suspect the owner may have answered the phone when he was driving though I am not sure of that.

We could also hire someone privately and pay them $15 bucks per ride or something like that. It is pretty hard to find someone who can do that small of a job and I would be nervous that camp time would come and we wouldn't have found someone.

Anyone hired drivers or kiddie limo services or the like? Thoughts or experiences?

I know people that have done it and it's been fine. Personally, I would feel better if your ds was older.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Could the nanny ride along a few times? For peace of mind?

pinkmomagain
01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Sste, have you joined that JCC yet and met any of the members? Have you spoken to the camp director...maybe he/she can tell you what others do or if there might be a good match-up for you? I know this sounds kooky but if it's hard to find someone with room for the extra car seat (my kids carpooled to prek with carseats) due to sibblings...maybe something could work out with your nanny watching the sibbling/s during the commutes (could possibly work in the right situation)? I would imagine some moms would welcome that extra pocket $$...

crl
01-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Could the nanny ride along a few times? For peace of mind?

I was thinking this. Can the nanny just ride along? Or does that create a transportation issue for her on the other end?

Catherine

Kindra178
01-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Wouldn't public transportation work?

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Wouldn't public transportation work?

Right, or a taxi with the nanny.

rin
01-11-2012, 05:11 PM
But with a taxi, the nanny would have to install his carseat in the taxi each time, then take it out and bring it (somehow) back to the house, right?

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2012, 06:13 PM
But with a taxi, the nanny would have to install his carseat in the taxi each time, then take it out and bring it (somehow) back to the house, right?

If it was a short ride, I wouldn't do a carseat. I don't take carseats in taxis (I know, the logic is weird!). eta- what about one of those harnesses that clip onto seatbelts instead? Go Go Kids or something like that?

sste
01-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks so much everyone!

Unfortunately, the public transportation (bus) route would be a long slog for my nanny and she would have our baby with her. The nanny accompanying him in the limo is an interesting idea but we would have to pay for round trips twice per day to not leave the nanny and DD stranded. And that would be two carseats installed on the taxi with the two kids. :(

Tell me if this sounds absolutely crazy. My main concern - - and it is visceral, probably irrational - - is for some sort of child abuse. The actual drive is a straight shot, the kiddie limo place uses sienna vans, car seats, etc. I am not exactly driver of the year in my civic no less so it is hard to paint a picture of the car ride being less safe.

I was thinking of getting DS, age 4(!), an iphone just for camp - -this would probably be my old one as I want to switch to verizon. My bizarre idea is that he and I/Dh would "facetime" during his kiddie limo and then he would give the phone to his camp for safekeeping. That way I could "accompany" him on his limo ride at least until I feel comfortable.

I am def. going to work the other mom/carpool angle too but right now they don't have an enrollment list and no one knows there summer plans anyway.

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2012, 06:53 PM
I really would encourage either looking for a different camp unless you have already paid. Each year I find new camps in my area, well established ones that I managed to miss. :)

What about pre and/ or after care so either you or dh can take responsibility for transport They almost all offer that. Usually they have staff on hand from 7-9 or 4-6ish.

Ds1 is the same age so I understand the hesitation. I wouldn't trust him wit an iPhone though. ;) I would explore lots of options before the private transport company idea.

pinkmomagain
01-11-2012, 06:55 PM
I really would encourage either looking for a different camp unless you have already paid. Each year I find new camps in my area, well established ones that I managed to miss. :)

What about pre and/ or after care so either you or dh can take responsibility for transport They almost all offer that. Usually they have staff on hand from 7-9 or 4-6ish.

Ds1 is the same age so I understand the hesitation. I wouldn't trust him wit an iPhone though. ;) I would explore lots of options before the private transport company idea.

Yeah to all of that.

JoyNChrist
01-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Can't you only FaceTime with wifi? Would it even work going down the road?

sste
01-11-2012, 07:01 PM
I don't know - - I thought with the data plan???

DS is probably more trustworthy with the i-phone than DH but I do see the potential for problems!

I am going to look into more camps but "walking distance" is pretty tough. One camp drops off and picks up in different places and the walk is too far on pickup. The other one we identified that is walking distance has a ratio I am very unhappy with 2 counselors to 20 four and five year olds and they go to the lake once per week and swimming class. It is starting to feel like a risk:risk tradeoff . . .

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2012, 07:06 PM
There are probably lifeguards too. That ratio is ok for 4-5yo otherwise, right? Just thinking out loud before you rule out that swimming one- the ratios for the riskier parts may be better. :)

niccig
01-11-2012, 07:34 PM
DS goes to a camp that is 20 mins drive from us. The send out a list of families that live in your area, that will also be attending. There are some families in my street (long street, so don't know them), but the days they were going, didn't match mine. Contact the camp and see if something similar is done there.

I've had DS in aftercare with the camp, and at times paid for a sitter to pick him up.

If you get find a way to get him there/home, I would find a camp that your family can get him to. He's a little younger than I would like for a kiddie driver service.

mctlaw
01-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Hi SSTE,

I'm not sure what camp you're thinking of, but if you would trust another parent to drive your DS, maybe you could post on the bulletin boards at the local library, Starbucks & Brothers K to see if there is another parent in your area?

TwinFoxes
01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I can only answer the iPhone question. You need wifi to FaceTime.

vludmilla
01-11-2012, 09:51 PM
I know you are a good researcher but I am wondering if there are camps that provide transportation that you have missed. In my area, there are several high-end camps that provide bus transportation. I imagine there would be a demand for this kind of camp in your area too.

egoldber
01-11-2012, 11:31 PM
:yeahthat:
I would look for a different camp or one that provides transport.

arivecchi
01-11-2012, 11:36 PM
I would explore lots of options before the private transport company idea.:yeahthat:

That would be my last resort. Driving is the riskiest activity a child can engage in (statistically speaking) and driving with a stranger by himself in some unknown car seat which could be improperly installed would be a no-go for me. I would really look into a camp with bus service or just settle for the closer one. That ratio does not sound that bad to me were it not for the swimming portion.

sste
01-11-2012, 11:40 PM
OK, continuing to look for camps!

I think alot of options are going to open up in summer 2013 when DS is five -- alot of camps seem to be 5 and above. Summer 2012 is going to be a challenge but I am off to call some area friends to see if there is a camp I am overlooking.

I can deal with the blah ratio camp - - it is just kind of underwhelming.

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Does he need to go to camp? Like you said, there are lots of options next year; maybe it would be worth waiting till then? I think that the kids do get more out of the experience as they get older. Can your nanny handle both kids at a swim club, playground and that sort of thing? I love summers that are free form though and that doesn't appeal to everyone.

sste
01-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Snugglebuggles, alot of it is my particular DS. He is a complete macher in personality and would be crushed to stay at home all summer. He went to three year old camp 3 hours per day last summer and had a blast. It is kind of funny walking around our town with him because people say hi to him who I do not know all.the.time. With his current set-up of two preschools, three "lunch and learn" enrichment thingies, and two other classes his social network is far better than mine. And he aims to expand further - - he is already discussing his travel and class and camp plans for summer!

I was much more like your boys as a child. I never liked camp and liked the lazy days of summer.

niccig
01-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Do either of the preschools do camp over the summer? Our preschool did camp with a different theme each week.

I agree, you'll have a lot more options once DS is older. At his age, camps are still under Childcare Provider laws, at least that's the situation here in CA.

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Snugglebuggles, alot of it is my particular DS. He is a complete macher in personality and would be crushed to stay at home all summer. He went to three year old camp 3 hours per day last summer and had a blast. It is kind of funny walking around our town with him because people say hi to him who I do not know all.the.time. With his current set-up of two preschools, three "lunch and learn" enrichment thingies, and two other classes his social network is far better than mine. And he aims to expand further - - he is already discussing his travel and class and camp plans for summer!

I was much more like your boys as a child. I never liked camp and liked the lazy days of summer.

Maybe forcing him to have a lazy summer could reset him? ;)

Very best of luck finding great solutions for you and your little guy!