PDA

View Full Version : Problem neighbor in condo--what can we do?

YouAreTheFocus
01-11-2012, 02:19 PM
We live in a nice, quiet condo building--have been here for almost 8 years w/o a single complaint. 6 months ago the unit directly across the hall was foreclosed, and maybe 2 months ago a man moved in. The first time I met him warning bells went off--I feel ridiculous writing this, but he just struck me as scary and unpredictable. Not someone I would want to be alone in a hallway with. Anyways, I tried to brush it off. But everytime we've run into him he seems drunk, talking loudly and erratically.

Well it turns out he's also excessively loud at inappropriate times. He will start playing electric guitar at midnight on a weeknight, turned up to 11. Or play a car racing video game so loud we can hear the revving and smashing in our unit. Or blast music...you get the idea. This is nightly. He's also a heavy smoker--now when you come around the corner to our hallway, the place reaks of smoke (I guess it is seeping under his door).

Honestly if it was anyone else, I would go knock on their door and say "it's midnight and you just woke my baby up, could you please turn your music down?" but neither my husband nor I are comfortable confronting this guy.

What should we do? Tell the condo association? Police (noise complaint)? In regards to the smoke, he has a right to smoke in his unit but it is ruining a communal area. If this guy owns the unit, I don't know what anyone can do.

gatorsmom
01-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Or he could be renting the condo from the owner. I would contact the homeowner's association and find out, if you can. I'd let them know your complaints, too and I'd try to do it anonymously, if possible. Can you speak to any of your other neighbors there to see if hw is bothering anyone else? If the music is that loud, I'm sure other tenants sharing walls are disturbed. Your complaints will probably be given more weight if there others complaining too.

YouAreTheFocus
01-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Yeah, the anonymous thing is the part that gives me pause. I definitely wouldn't want this guy to know we complained about him. The way the bldg is configured, he only shares a wall with one unit. I can talk to that guy. We are actually across the hall. His other 2 walls are external. So if there is a complaint, it could only be us or his wall-sharing neighbor. Perhaps the person above him as well? There's no one below.

I'd be THRILLED if he is a renter.

ETA: Just went on blockshopper and found the name of the buyer on 9/1/2011. Pretty sure it's him :(

HonoluluMom
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
That's a tough one. I agree that I wouldn't want him to know you complained. I agree with a PP to talk with the other neighbors including those who don't share a wall with him (if you can hear it across the hall, I'm sure others without a shared wall can too). Then, maybe do an anonymous complaint to the HOA indicating several neighbors also are bothered by the noise.

Good luck!

minnie-zb
01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Another suggestion would be to read your condo docs and find out what the rules are in your building for noise violations (and what constitutes a noise violation). I'd also research noxious smells (smoking).

You should check and see what the rules are in your municipality for noise and noxious smells.

I'd talk with someone on the board about how to go about complaining -- I'm not sure if the board will take you and your neighbors seriously if it is anonymous. At the same time there's no reason for the board to tell the owner who complained.