PDA

View Full Version : NYT Mark Bittman article on decreased meat consumption

TxCat
01-11-2012, 02:35 PM
One of my friends on FB linked to this Mark Bittman op-ed (http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/were-eating-less-meat-why/), and I thought it was fascinating and encouraging, especially since my husband and I definitively fall into the "flexitarian" category (ok, he's more restrictive - a pescatarian, really).

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
As a veggie, this makes me happy!

AnnieW625
01-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Not a veggie and no plans to be one, but I can't wait to see Anthony Bourdain's rubuttal.

wellyes
01-11-2012, 04:37 PM
My husband is a huge Bordain fan (we have about 10 hours of No Reservations on our Tivo right now) but I think he's a big ol' hypocrite when it comes to meat. He speaks rapturously of it, but when he buys it for himself, he buys the ethically raised stuff. He must know that 95%+ of his fans don't.

YouAreTheFocus
01-11-2012, 05:03 PM
My husband is a huge Bordain fan (we have about 10 hours of No Reservations on our Tivo right now) but I think he's a big ol' hypocrite when it comes to meat. He speaks rapturously of it, but when he buys it for himself, he buys the ethically raised stuff. He must know that 95%+ of his fans don't.

As an aside, have you or dh watched his new show, The Layover? The premise is that he spends 48 hrs in one city, with the show documenting all his drink/snack/meal choices. It seems much more real and raw than NR, which can often wander into the preachy/political. We watched the SF one last night; it was pretty amusing to watch him get trashed at a series of dive bars and then stumble into a hole in the wall watery at 3am.

kijip
01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Ok, disposable income is down due to stagnant incomes + higher fuel, energy and food prices. Is it really a surprise? Most people in this country are hit hard by this and have pretty modest to low incomes. I am sure there are other reasons at play- preferences, export etc but it seems clear that people are economizing more and more with anything that they can.

MissyAg94
01-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Ok, disposable income is down due to stagnant incomes + higher fuel, energy and food prices. Is it really a surprise? Most people in this country are hit hard by this and have pretty modest to low incomes. I am sure there are other reasons at play- preferences, export etc but it seems clear that people are economizing more and more with anything that they can.

:yeahthat:

If I want to save money on a grocery trip, I skip the meat and expensive produce.

maestramommy
01-11-2012, 10:15 PM

I think this is a more likely explanation, given meat prices have stayed the same or gone up. I know because we eat a lot of meat. No way could we do this if we had to eat the sustainable meat.