PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for convertible for subaru outback (08)

echoesofspring
01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
We took DS on a trip over the holidays where we were in the car longer than usual, plus plane flights, and I don't know if he just had a growth spurt or what but all the sudden he no longer seemed comfortable in his infant seat. He's 9 months, we'll get a definite weight/height tomorrow at the dr, but I'm guessing at least 30" and about 22lbs. He still fits in the seat, but looks kind of smooshed, I think he's actually too chubby rather than too long. FWIW, I think it's his torso where he carries his height (and girth) ;)

Any suggestions for a convertible for an outback (i think it's an 08, might be 09)? We've been doing a center install with the belt, since the LATCH is only available on the side. We have extremely limited local options of places to go try out (small town walmart and target), so I need to be able to order online with the option of returning.

I'm pretty confused at this point after reading various threads - Radians/Diono don't play well with Subarus and maybe the true fit won't work since the side seats are designed with a slight bucket (an earlier thread mentioned a bump in the middle, I can't really see that right now with the infant seat installed, will have to check tonight). And then I see occasional things about Britax being too wide for anyone else to fit back there (really?), and possibly too short. We've fit 2 other small adults (women, not men) in the back with the infant seat, not the most comfortable and tough to find your seatbelt, but doable when someone comes to town, etc.

Any recommendations? FWIW, the seat only has to work in the subaru right now, DH has a small truck and down the road we'll probably just get MIL her own seat, but right now the subaru is the only car DS is driven in. DH has been making some noise about the outback feeling too small for us now, but I'm not ready to part with it just yet, and even if we do change cars, we'll need the seat before we make a car decision. I can't believe I waited until we needed the seat to make this decision, but so it goes...
as always, TIA!

Penny's Pappa
01-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I have a Britax Boulevard installed in my '07 OB. It does seem awfully large. I've installed it in an outboard position (passenger) not the center. One person can easily sit in back, but two would be a squeeze. I think it might be a squeeze even for one person if you were to install it in the center though I've never tested that.

MontrealMum
01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
We had a RN XTSL installed RFing in the middle of our '08 Outback for about 2 years, and now we have a MA installed FFing in that same position. The MA also fits fine RFing. It's possible for an adult to sit next to either seat, but it's not super comfy, and it was definitely more comfy when the seat was RFing. Though most of the adults in our family are tall so the discomfort comes more from legs being squished than squeezing next to the carseat. Our backup seat was a TF and we were never able to get a good install with it in that car.

khalloc
01-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I have an 05 Subaru Outback and a Marathon and Radian installed. The Marathon is by far easier to install. Both are FF on the outboard seats.

HIU8
01-11-2012, 10:24 PM
My dad had a 2005 outback. I have had a FF Marathon and a FF scenera (also RF scenera) and a Safeguard GO along with the Marathon. I've also had a GO and a high back booster. I've only done outboard b/c of the hump in the middle though.

echoesofspring
01-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Just wanted to update in case it helps someone else. We ended up with a Marathon 70 (not classic). DH was able to install it (non latch) in the center over the hump. He's not sure he can fit into the passenger seat up front, but I'm able to. I guess the biggest issue with the passenger seat is the tether.

Width wise it doesn't seem that much wider than our infant seat, but we haven't had a reason to have someone sit in the back yet.