PDA

View Full Version : How do you make meatballs?

happi
01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
I want to try to make some meatballs tonight and I don't know how. Does anyone have any easy recipes that you would like to share with me?
thanks
happi

MelissaTC
01-11-2012, 05:34 PM
I use a mix of beef, veal and pork. I use a bit of Italian seasoning, 1/4 c bread crumbs, 1/4 c parmesan cheese, one egg and a splash of milk. I form the meatballs and bake them unil done at 350 degrees.

veronica
01-11-2012, 05:37 PM
no formal recipe here but my "secret" ingredient is adding 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. I use a mix of salt, pepper and garlic as well. One egg, bread crumbs, and occasionally very finely diced onions-but DD likes to try and pick those out, so I have held back!

ETA: I put EVOO in a skillet and slowly cook them, covered for about 30 minutes until very lightly browned on medium heat (constantly turning them). after that, I add sauce to the skillet and continue to slowly cook for 40 more minutes on low.

m448
01-11-2012, 05:38 PM
These are my favorite.

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/04/albondigas-aka-meatballs.html

mom2khj
01-11-2012, 05:40 PM
I use a mix of beef, veal and pork. I use a bit of Italian seasoning, 1/4 c bread crumbs, 1/4 c parmesan cheese, one egg and a splash of milk. I form the meatballs and bake them unil done at 350 degrees.

This. They are better (but more time-consuming) when pan-fried though.

KLD313
01-11-2012, 05:42 PM
A lot of bread and alot of milk make really soft meatballs. Like five slices of bread in a food procerssor and enough milk to make them wet but still able to form a ball. A few cloves of garlic, i just throw it in with bread and I prefer Romano cheese to parm but it doesn't make a huge difference. One egg, that's about it. I never use the mixed meat, just beef. You can add parsley too but I don't.

Cam&Clay
01-11-2012, 05:44 PM
I open the bag of frozen meatballs and throw them into the sauce. :rotflmao:

eagle
01-11-2012, 05:51 PM
i have two recipes that i use. one of them is this: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/swedish_meatballs/

that said i have some tips to make things easier.

i prefer recipes that use a panades (milk soaked bread or panko. i mostly use panko but bread/toast is really the same).

you can use a small disher. (my preferred size is the purple handle - the standard purple handled dishers are #40, or _almost_ two tablespoons.) dishers keep the meatballs standard so that cooking times are the same for every ball.

to form the balls: rinse hands in cold water, scoop out meatball, scrape top of disher flat, then roll into balls with hands. rinse hands under cold water when they get too sticky.

if you have the time AND space in your freezer, freeze for about 10-15 minutes to firm them up. most of the time i dont have the space to freeze. i would if i could.

if you want, you can also bake them so you dont have to brown them tediously on the stove. bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes on a cookie sheet (you can also place them on top of a cooling rack if you wish to have the fat drip down onto the cookie sheet, but thats not required. just fussy-neat. i prefer it that way).

those are my tips for success! good luck!

mackmama
01-11-2012, 06:01 PM

:rotflmao: Sounds like my style, although I've also been wondering how to make them since I haven't found any frozen. :)

happi
01-11-2012, 06:02 PM
How do you make bread crumbs? Can you use crackers? How do you know what consistency they need to be? I am so confused.

Kaylee31
01-11-2012, 06:47 PM
I use store-bought Italian style breadcrumbs. They are a fine consistency, and that is way too much work for me to make my own. ;)
My recipe: 1 lb. beef, 1 egg, 1/2 c. of parmesan cheese, 1 c. of breadcrumbs, some garlic salt, pepper, parsley. I bake them the night before and then let them simmer w/the sauce in a crockpot for several hours...so tender & delicious.

KLD313
01-11-2012, 06:51 PM
I just day old bread and stick it in the food processor. Or just leave bread sitting out for awhile. Process till it look like breadcrumbs. My grandmother used to just rip it wither hands

alien_host
01-11-2012, 06:54 PM
You can microwave them too. I make the meatballs, put them in a corning ware round dish, just line the outer edge and cover with a glass top or Saran wrap. I nuke 2 minutes, I flip them over do another 90 seconds or so. Remove the meatballs and I then simmer them in sauce stovetop. This will make sure they are cooked through.

After each batch, drain the oil that has collected in the corning ware dish and repeat. It is faster than stovetop frying and my Italian MIL taught me this method.

o_mom
01-11-2012, 06:59 PM

LOL! I was going to say I drive to TJs...

Puddy73
01-11-2012, 07:21 PM
You can microwave them too. I make the meatballs, put them in a corning ware round dish, just line the outer edge and cover with a glass top or Saran wrap. I nuke 2 minutes, I flip them over do another 90 seconds or so. Remove the meatballs and I then simmer them in sauce stovetop. This will make sure they are cooked through.

After each batch, drain the oil that has collected in the corning ware dish and repeat. It is faster than stovetop frying and my Italian MIL taught me this method.

I do this when I'm in a hurry or don't feel like dealing with the mess of pan frying. I saw it in a Cook's Illustrated magazine years ago. It sets the meat just enough so that they don't fall apart in the sauce.

HIU8
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I do either beef or turkey (or sometimes mix them) with:

1 egg per lb of meat
bread crumbs (usually italian style)
Garlic powder
worchestershire sauce

I boil my meatballs b/c they come out much much softer than if I bake them.

KHF
01-11-2012, 07:57 PM
LOL! I was going to say I drive to TJs...

And I drive to IKEA :)

candaceb
01-11-2012, 08:02 PM
I use this recipe - we all love them. I double the recipe and freeze them and then it's easy to warm up a few for dinner.

Beef Meatballs

Because the meatballs are baked and not fried, they won't fall apart when turned over.

1 1/2 pounds ground round
1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400�.
Combine all ingredients except cooking spray in a bowl; stir well. Shape mixture into 30 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400� for 15 minutes or until done.

Yield: 30 meatballs (serving size: 5 meatballs)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 228(35% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 3.4g,mono 3.5g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 27.4g; CHOLESTEROL 73mg; CALCIUM 95mg; SODIUM 370mg; FIBER 0.8g; IRON 3.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8.2g

Alyson Moreland Haynes
Cooking Light, JANUARY 1997

Jo..
01-11-2012, 08:21 PM

I am a pretty good cook, but for some reason I can't master anything that needs to stick together (crab cakes, latkes, meatballs). So I generally just buy a big ole frozen bag at Sam's Club. :(

I'd love to know the secret to getting stuff to stick together. I've tried more eggs, fewer eggs, more breadcrumbs, less breadcrumbs. I wind up with a mess!

nfowife
01-11-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't use breadcrumbs.
1 lb ground turkey (85/15)
1 egg
About 1/4 cup grated parm
About 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
Salt, pepper, dried herbs (parsley, Italian blend) to taste
If necessary add a splash of milk.
Form balls and cook in sauce for 30 minutes. Yummy!

I make my own sauce, too. It's easy and so yummy!

Babymakes3
01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
DS has food allergies so I hunted and tried a bunch of recipes before I came up with one that we all liked. I finally settled on a Pioneer Woman recipe.

I use ground turkey instead of beef and soy milk. For the sauce I just do ketchup, brown sugar, worcestshire and tabasco to taste.

1 ½ pounds ground beef
¾ cup quick oats
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons very finely minced onion
1 ½ teaspoons salt ground black pepper
4 tablespoons canola oil
½ cup flour

In a bowl, combine ground beef and oats. Pour in milk, then add diced onion and salt. Add black pepper, then stir to combine.

Roll the mixture into tablespoon-size balls and refrigerate for 30 to 40 minutes to firm.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Dredge meatballs in the flour. Brown meatballs in the skillet until light brown. As they brown, place meatballs into rectangular baking dish. Drizzle sauce evenly on the meatballs. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until bubbly and hot. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Sauce: Stir together 1 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 4 to 6 tablespoons minced onion and a dash of Tabasco.

August Mom
01-12-2012, 05:25 PM
You've probably already made your meatballs, but here's my recipe:

2 lbs. ground chuck
2 T. soy sauce
1/3 c. ketchup
1 egg, well beaten
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. fine bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil

Preheat oven to 400°.

Combine all ingredients except cooking spray in a bowl; stir well. Shape mixture into 30 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place on a broiler pan. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes, turn meatballs over with tongs and continue baking an additional 7 minutes or until done.

Yield: 40 meatballs

I used to pan fry meatballs and had trouble with them falling apart. Once I started baking them, they turn out really well. I usually double this recipe and then freeze the extra meatballs, packaged in a serving size for our family. I then reheat them in the microwave on full power for 20 seconds per meatball.

turtle12
01-15-2012, 05:31 PM
You've probably already made your meatballs, but here's my recipe:

2 lbs. ground chuck
2 T. soy sauce
1/3 c. ketchup
1 egg, well beaten
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. fine bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil

Preheat oven to 400°.

Combine all ingredients except cooking spray in a bowl; stir well. Shape mixture into 30 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place on a broiler pan. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes, turn meatballs over with tongs and continue baking an additional 7 minutes or until done.

Yield: 40 meatballs

I used to pan fry meatballs and had trouble with them falling apart. Once I started baking them, they turn out really well. I usually double this recipe and then freeze the extra meatballs, packaged in a serving size for our family. I then reheat them in the microwave on full power for 20 seconds per meatball.

thanks for posting! made these today; they were relatively easy and a big hit! :) now i have a go-to meatball recipe. :)

August Mom
01-15-2012, 08:29 PM
thanks for posting! made these today; they were relatively easy and a big hit! :) now i have a go-to meatball recipe. :)

You are welcome. BTW, I just noticed that the instructions mention cooking spray. You can spray the broiler pan before you put the meatballs on there, but I find that I don't need it because the meatballs don't stick.

Also, you shouldn't technically do this (because you aren't supposed to overmix the meat), but one of my friends suggested mixing the meat mixture in the KA mixer. I do this and it works great. I've never had a problem with the meatballs being too dense and it keeps my hands cleaner. :)

turtle12
01-15-2012, 09:19 PM
You are welcome. BTW, I just noticed that the instructions mention cooking spray. You can spray the broiler pan before you put the meatballs on there, but I find that I don't need it because the meatballs don't stick.

Also, you shouldn't technically do this (because you aren't supposed to overmix the meat), but one of my friends suggested mixing the meat mixture in the KA mixer. I do this and it works great. I've never had a problem with the meatballs being too dense and it keeps my hands cleaner. :)

thanks, good idea on the mixer. because this time i did 1/2 a batch, and it was all gone in one meal! i def want to double the batch for next time, and the KA would be great for this. i used the broiler pan, great tip on that too. thanks again. happy to have found a keeper!

dec756
01-15-2012, 10:35 PM
ground beef
onion
celery
garlic
worchestershire sauce
ketchup
one egg
breadcrumbs from 2 slices bread
salt
pepper