PDA

View Full Version : I love it when things work out

kijip
01-11-2012, 08:37 PM
So now that I am grantwriting from home, I needed to start using a laptop again. The one that I have not used in a year however turned out to be broken past the point of cost effective repair- I believe that my husband was keeping mum about liquid damage because the logic board is shot. It was a 4 year old macbook pro however that I was not using so I was bummed but not angry.

I was super disappointed because with the reduced income from 1/2 time grantwriting, I would not feel comfortable splurging for a new laptop and would likely end up with a very cheap low end one or trying to write from a shared desktop in the middle of a shared space with no option to pack up and get out of the house to write.

Before shopping for one in the sub $400 range I asked my brother to check with his husband and see if they had one PC or Mac, just as long as it worked, they could set me up with for a low price. As it happens, he had a choice for me -a newer MacBook Pro with a screen blemish in one corner or perfectly fine but 3 year old MacBook. He works IT for a big cable company and when his company surpluses out damaged or out of warrenty computers, he often has the option of taking them home. I offered to pay him and he said just trade him my damaged one so he can take the screen and hard drive (which I got my data off of) out for other machines. I took the one with the screen blemish and he says that if he can find the right glass he will swap it out for free.

I know my BIL drives my brother crazy with his extensive computer workshop at home but it is nice to benefit from the excess freebies sometimes, and at a moment when buying a new computer would be a budget buster. So that is my anti-bitch for the day.

crl
01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Score!

Catherine

hillview
01-11-2012, 09:12 PM
total score!

Globetrotter
01-11-2012, 09:34 PM
I love it!

Octobermommy
01-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Awesome! Love it when a plan comes together.

Mamma2004
01-11-2012, 10:16 PM
So happy for you! Hooray!

SkyrMommy
01-11-2012, 10:46 PM
:applause: Very nice! Having things work out is always such a great feeling!

DietCokeLover
01-11-2012, 10:53 PM
:cheerleader1:

MamaMolly
01-12-2012, 11:03 AM
I wish my BIL were so sweet! :)