PDA

View Full Version : My 2 yr. old just threw up for the first time ever

Kaylee31
01-12-2012, 01:05 AM
..and I felt so bad for him. :( I know little kids get sick, and I've always dreaded having to see him suffer through the flu, or even colds.
The thing is he seemed fine and normal all night. He went to bed and woke up less than 30 min. later and vomited (what appeared to be whatever he had for lunch at daycare) all over himself and his bed. He was shivering a little bit, probably b/c he was wet & cold. I gave him a quick bath, some watered down Sprite (:bag it always helps my stomach settle down) and brushed his teeth. He seemed ok, and now he's sleeping in our bed with DH.
I'm a little concerned b/c he goes to an in-home daycare and the provider had a stomach bug over the weekend. So I kept him home on Mon. to be on the safe side. But it's possible she was still contagious and he caught the bug; or it just may be a fluke thing I suppose.
Should I stay home with him tomorrow, even if he seems ok in the morning? Do you give your DC anything special to eat/drink when they're sick?

crl
01-12-2012, 02:08 AM
Aw, poor baby. Poor mama.

I would keep him home for at least 24 hours after he last vomits. I hold off on dairy, except for yogurt, for that long too. Saltines, toast, yogurt are all good. I push fluids and will allow extra watered down juice, Popsicles etc to try to keep kids hydrated.

Once liquids and bland stuff is staying down, I ease up on the food and start giving other things too.

Catherine

eagle
01-12-2012, 03:39 AM
im not a doctor but when my babys throwing up, its just clear liquids for a day. test with small amount of rice or toast. if he throws that up, clear liquids for another day. and so on.

pedialyte. chicken broth. jello. water. popsicles.