PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to the doctors for this? (possible thyroid issue)

khalloc
01-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I have a doctors appointment this afternoon. I had to make it to get a prescription refill. The prescription is for Flonase (nasal spray) because I have a chronic stuffy nose from nasal polyps. The alternative is surgery which doesnt always work. I've been to an ENT doc and do not want to go ahead with surgery. My PCP who I will see today will know NOTHING about nasal polyps. This is just one of those appointments they want you to make so they can say they have seen you about the prescription, you know?

My only other thing I was going to ask about was maybe having them test my thyroid levels. My mother's family has a history of underactive thyroid. My mom and at least 1 of her sisters is on meds for it. I was tested for thyroid issues about 4 years ago when I had bouts of arthritis, but my levels came back fine because my rheumatologist told me that it wasnt an issue.

So I am overweight (would love to lose 25 pounds!). My husband thinks I am tired alot. But I feel like I have always been someone who needs alot of sleep. I have no problem sleeping 10 hours if given the chance and DH and his family all suffer from insomnia and wake up at really early hours (like 4am!). So although he says I am always tired, his view might not be reality. I do work 40 hours a week and have 2 kids! I sleep maybe 7 hours a night and that includes time when I am woken up by my kids almost nightly and need to walk them back to their beds. So - a valid reason to be tired in the morning I think!

So, trying to lose weight. I am exercising daily but weight doesnt come off so easily. Even if I am burning like 600 calories 5 days a week and eating maybe 1400 calories a day. I guess I wish I was seeing more weight loss and part of me wonders if I have a thyroid problem since my mom does.

KLD313
01-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I would. Thyroid problems are hereditary so you could have something going on.

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Yep. Even without the symptoms you have (I have the same weight ones), the family history alone is a good reason to get tested.

tiapam
01-12-2012, 03:22 PM
yes yes yes! ask for free t3 and free t4. doc will prob only do tsh but those can be important. also what does your mom actually have? if autoimmune you need antibodies tests. also get your old and new test results and educate yourself about "normal" there is a lot of controversy. it sounds to me like you are prob mildly hypo.

hth. listen if it is in your family you need to study it for you and your children's not to mention your mom's sake. you should understand it so you know it what to look for in yourself and children now and when they are adults.