PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Q- continued from before...

MoeJoe
01-12-2012, 12:09 PM
I just saw someone posted that Target is having a sale on a girl print Britax Roundabout 50 for $109 with another 10% off, free shipping.
So, should I go for this one instead of waiting for a deal for a First Years TF (bec. I DO like the seat- have it for my older DS) or a Evenflo Frontier for DS and pass the TF to 15 mo DD?
Is the roundabout 50 the same bulky RF as the TF? Because that is my main concern with the TF...
WDYT???? :)

legaleagle
01-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I would absolutely pass down the seat if your older child is ff'ing. Definitely makes the most sense in the long run. I am personally not a big fan of the old-style britax seats (of the 6 models of seats I own, it is definitely my least favorite), but many people are!

MoeJoe
01-12-2012, 12:48 PM
I would absolutely pass down the seat if your older child is ff'ing. Definitely makes the most sense in the long run. I am personally not a big fan of the old-style britax seats (of the 6 models of seats I own, it is definitely my least favorite), but many people are!

But, doesn't most convertibles hold kids up to 85-100 lbs? Don't know specifically TFs, but wouldn't it last a long time anyhow? Or the exclusive ff and/or carseat to booster ones would be more comfy for the older kids? Obviously I have no clue abt car seats for the older kids! I'm not even sure what the law is in my state!

legaleagle
01-12-2012, 01:08 PM
The harness to booster seats (graco nautilus, britax frontier, evenflo maestro, etc) tend to be more comfy for big kids and most convert to decent boosters as well so you should be able to use them for their full lifespan with one or the other of your kdis. Also, they look less baby-ish which may be a concern to your DS as he gets older. The true fit is a tall seat, but the others will definitely last longer. Most kids outgrow seats by harness height far earlier than weight.

BabyBearsMom
01-12-2012, 01:26 PM
But, doesn't most convertibles hold kids up to 85-100 lbs? Don't know specifically TFs, but wouldn't it last a long time anyhow? Or the exclusive ff and/or carseat to booster ones would be more comfy for the older kids? Obviously I have no clue abt car seats for the older kids! I'm not even sure what the law is in my state!

Most convertibles hold kids up to 65lbs or 70lbs.

Multimama
01-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Most convertibles hold kids up to 65lbs or 70lbs.

But most kids will outgrow the seat by height long before they reach the weight limit so the weight limits are misleading. The seat is outgrown by height forward-facing when the shoulders go over the top harness slot or the tips of ears go over the top of the shell.

MoeJoe
01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
But most kids will outgrow the seat by height long before they reach the weight limit so the weight limits are misleading. The seat is outgrown by height forward-facing when the shoulders go over the top harness slot or the tips of ears go over the top of the shell.

Oh- thanks for that bit of info! Wasn't thinking along those lines.
So, I guess I really should go with what was suggested and pass down the TF and get 33 mo DS a new ff carseat or cs-booster.
Thanks! :)

MoeJoe
01-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Another question- between the Maestro and Nautilus, which would be more comfortable for longer trips and is it such a difference? We go on long (~9 hrs or so) trips about 2-3 x a year, plus we are planning a long trip this winter/spring. I want my 14 mo (almost 15 mo) out of the snugride by then because I don't plan on taking the snap-n-go anyway. We'll just take our double Maclaren.
So, I realize the Maestro is much cheaper- but because of these few trips a year I was thinking it may be worth to spend the extra $ to have him more comfortable. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Nautilus hold up to 65 lb in the 5-pnt harness, rather than the Maestro only to 50 lbs? Not sure it would be an issue, but just a side point to ponder.
Thanks for bearing with me!! :D

legaleagle
01-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I haven't used either personally, but some kids have bad head slump when sleeping in the nautilus. I'd take a close look at the new evenflo securekid 300/400 if you're willing spend as much as the nautilus too - more head support than the maestro and will last longer as boosters. All of these have basically the same harness slots I believe so should last about as long for all.

Multimama
01-12-2012, 08:14 PM
When comparing the Maestro and Nautilus you should know that the Maestro is pretty much outgrown as a booster at the same time it is outgrown with the harness so it's my understanding that the Nautilus will most likely have more longevity.

(It's not that the booster mode is useless on the Maestro. Lots of people who use the Maestro aren't interested in extended harnessing so they will booster before the harness is outgrown. But if you want to do extended harnessing and then move to a high back booster the Nautilus is a better choice, I think.)

I *think* the seat Legaleagle is recommending is like a Maestro but you can move the headrest so it will have a longer life as a booster.

The Britax Frontier and the Recaro Prosport are other combination seats to consider.

I would probably take your kiddo to the store and see which one he fits in best and likes the best. At almost 3 he's probably old enough to have a strong preference. :)

But if your youngest still fits in your infant seat, why not wait? You don't have to take the carseat out of the car just because it has that capability. And I bet the TF will be super comfy FF for a long car ride. (As Jools mentioned in your other thread, convertibles tend to have more of a recline and so be more comfy for younger kids who still sleep in the car.)

MoeJoe
01-12-2012, 08:27 PM
When comparing the Maestro and Nautilus you should know that the Maestro is pretty much outgrown as a booster at the same time it is outgrown with the harness so it's my understanding that the Nautilus will most likely have more longevity.

(It's not that the booster mode is useless on the Maestro. Lots of people who use the Maestro aren't interested in extended harnessing so they will booster before the harness is outgrown. But if you want to do extended harnessing and then move to a high back booster the Nautilus is a better choice, I think.)

I *think* the seat Legaleagle is recommending is like a Maestro but you can move the headrest so it will have a longer life as a booster.

The Britax Frontier and the Recaro Prosport are other combination seats to consider.

I would probably take your kiddo to the store and see which one he fits in best and likes the best. At almost 3 he's probably old enough to have a strong preference. :)

But if your youngest still fits in your infant seat, why not wait? You don't have to take the carseat out of the car just because it has that capability. And I bet the TF will be super comfy FF for a long car ride. (As Jools mentioned in your other thread, convertibles tend to have more of a recline and so be more comfy for younger kids who still sleep in the car.)

Thanks everyone for all this info! I so don't know these things before ppl tell me!
Anyway, I was trying to do some research on that seat- SecureKid- not terribly much to be found. And it doesn't really look like it has more of a recline- or any recline, to be honest! Has anyone seen it IRL?
You are right, I guess about the infant carseat- HOWEVER, she is getting up there is the weight limit. I think it goes to 22 lbs. I will find out her weight in two weeks at her 15 month well-visit, so we'll see. But, as nicely as she fits in it, it does take some finagling to get her arms in the straps and get her seated comfortably. I don't want to make the straps looser because I think it'd be too loose then- she wears a light weight jacket.
So, I suppose I can take DS to the store- but if we get anywhere near toys (Target, Toys R Us etc..) his eyes grow larger than his head and he does not stop whining!!! So... I do my utmost to keep him AWAY! ;)

jjordan
01-12-2012, 08:58 PM
The SecureKid is brand new, hence not much info out about it yet.