PDA

View Full Version : K-8 schools, how is your parent organization structured?

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I don;t know how other schools work their parent groups, At ours, there are certain members that have been nominated and make decisions on how to spend money and such. Everyone is welcome to give input but only some members are allowed to cast a vote.

If your school is k-8, especially if it split into 2 campuses, how does your school work the parent group? Are there always representatives from older kids and younger kids or is it just random (whoever volunteers)?

It gets so hard to get volunteers from the older grades, ime. I wasn't sure if a separate parent group for the older grades would be successful. But, I would hate for to only be the little kids' parents because they could easily be out of touch with what is going on with the upper grades.

Any ideas and experiences welcome. :)

wolverine2
01-12-2012, 01:08 PM
We're at a K-8 school (though it's urban, so probably different issues) and struggle to have involvement from the upper grades. We usually have 1-2 middle school parents at our meetings. We try to fund an equal amount of lower school vs upper school initiatives, or try things that would benefit all students. I think since the older kids are more responsible for their own schooling (and some of our parents are just worn down from years of involvement), the parents of older kids just aren't as involved. We're trying some personal phone calls to invite parents.

MelissaTC
01-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Same issue at our school. Our board almost always consists of K-3 parents. I think a lot of people burn out, go back to work.

AnnieW625
01-12-2012, 02:52 PM
One campus k-8 and the board is mainly older 5-8 families, but there is a kinder parent on the board, but this isn't her first year at the school (her 4th grader went to another school this year). The Parish Fair chair is a kindergarten parent, but he is also a school alum and involved in the church. I do not plan on volunteering for PTO board or a committee chair until DD1 is at least in the 3rd grade because that is when my time obligation to Jr. League ends. We anticipate having a child at this school for 12 yrs. so we have plenty of time to volunteer.

Tondi G
01-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Our school is a K-6. Our parent organization is a 501 C 3, non profit organization. We have a board who has to be nominated and elected (just held elections in December). The board makes the decisions/votes but we have monthly general meetings that any parent is welcome/encouraged to attend so they can give input on the decisions we are trying to make on their behalf. It is often more difficult to get the upper grade parents involved. Kindergarten parents are the most eager to jump in and help typically. BUT I am a mom of a 5th grader and I was just elected a Co-president of the board so I guess it all depends. I have a 5th grader and a 1st grader at the school. I will say this is my 2nd year on the board and I am already burning out. I am actually kind of regretting accepting the nomination ... but I will stick with it for at least a year and give it my all.

kbud
01-12-2012, 10:37 PM
We are pre-K through 8th grade. We are all in one building and one PTO. The board is all elementary aged parents. I do think things just get more independent as they get older and less parent involvement. We utilize the middle school kids a lot to help at events. It works at nicely.