PDA

View Full Version : Update: I did it!!

newg
01-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Update:
I finally made a choice..........actually two ;)
After talking with DH, and reminding him I haven't bought new shoes is three years....I picked these:
http://www.rei.com/product/803659/sorel-cate-the-great-winter-boots-womens a little different than the other felt-pack snow boots....they look really cute on the zappos video!!!
and these:
http://www.rei.com/product/804065/keen-bern-baby-bern-boots-womens
not waterproof, but I can wear them into the spring and starting in the fall....

thanks for the help ladies!!!!!!!

tarnator
01-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I love shoes/boots....

I like all your choices but I like #1 and #6 the best! They are very different and I would have no problem ordering both. :love-retry: I just bought a pair of the Sorel Tofinos myself.....

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Well, this may help some. I'd pick one or 6 also!

wellyes
01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
I like #3 and #6.

MontrealMum
01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I have the Keen Bern boots and the Sorel Caribou (the original that the recent fashion-y ones are based on). They serve entirely different purposes, IMHO.

First off, the Keens are not waterproof, they're water resistant. So you can walk through water but you can't stand in the middle of a puddle in them for long. The Sorels are waterproof in the foot portion (which is rubber).

I wear my Keens for everyday in the winter. I bought them specifically because we get super tall snow drifts that I need to wade through here so I can tuck my pants in and not get snow down the tops. It's rare that a drift will be higher than my Keens, though it has happened :tongue5: When we get into the spring melt and have gigantic puddles to wade through at every street corer I switch to Hunters.

My Sorels are my super warm, waiting for the bus in -20 boots. (Mine are warmer than the Joan of Arctic or Kate the great) I keep them in the car, wear them after skiing, and generally for lots of outside standing around. They're not high enough to keep snow out when climbing through drifts. They're also good if it's wet but cold.

babybell
01-12-2012, 08:11 PM
I vote 1, 2, or 6!

DrSally
01-12-2012, 08:55 PM
1,4 or 6
I agree that the Keen vs. sorel type boots serve different purposes

newg
01-12-2012, 10:05 PM
First off, the Keens are not waterproof, they're water resistant. So you can walk through water but you can't stand in the middle of a puddle in them for long.
This is my worry with them....I do stand in puddles when I getting the girls in and out of their carseats while running errands. Now, they aren't puddles up to my ankles, but in running shoes my feet do get wet!

My Sorels are my super warm, waiting for the bus in -20 boots. (Mine are warmer than the Joan of Arctic or Kate the great) I keep them in the car, wear them after skiing, and generally for lots of outside standing around. They're not high enough to keep snow out when climbing through drifts. They're also good if it's wet but cold.

One of the reasons I liked the Cate The Great and Joan of Arctic boots was because they are taller. And the fur is really cute!

This winter we are having more really cold, wet days....rather than inches/feet of snow (which we had last year).
I would love to get both (#1,2 or 3 and #4,5 or 6)....but I just can't justify the cost right now, coming off of Christmas, and our weather doesn't really warrant two pairs of waterproof shoes.....

Hence my indecision!!

babybell
01-12-2012, 11:06 PM
From what you're saying, it sounds like you want either 4, 5, or 6. I say go for 6!

MontrealMum
01-12-2012, 11:06 PM
With the Keens, you'd probably be fine standing in water loading/unloading carseats. I do that w/o getting wet in mine. But you can't stand in the middle of a creek or something - which you can in Sorels. Not that you'd really want to. But you could :)

It's a difficult choice. Where I live I need the warmth of the Sorels for the super cold days but they're just too clunky and hot for me to be walking around in every day so I have the Keens as well. And then I have rainboots too. I probably shouldn't be giving advice. I'm just an enabler :p