PDA

View Full Version : 1st Communion Party? WDYD?

calv
01-12-2012, 06:35 PM
wondering if you had a party at home or did you have it at a restaurant/hall? Did you invite all friends & family or small & intimate?

Curious what route people go. THANKS :)

KpbS
01-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Similar--we had all 3 DC baptized last Spring and we invited all local family (including those 1 hr away) and 3 families that are very close friends (basically family). I wanted to enjoy the day and not have hosting responsibilities, so we booked a private room at a local restaurant. It was perfect.

ETA It was about 30 people total.

AnnieW625
01-12-2012, 06:56 PM
We have two years to go for this but it will most likely be a reception at our home with close family and friends like we did for the girls' baptisms. We had about 30 people. We did Mexican food for DD1's and BBQ for DD2. We picked it up from the restaurant. We also did salad and fruit trays.

MelissaTC
01-12-2012, 07:18 PM
We did it at home. We brought in food from a local Italian restaurant. We had baked ziti, their pasta a la casa, sausage and peppers, Caesar salad, meatballs and bread.

Twoboos
01-12-2012, 07:23 PM
EEEKK!!! First communion party!!!

Obviously this was not on my radar. It will clearly be VERY small, likely at our house.

OMG, I can't believe I didn't even think of it... BBB saves the day again! :cheerleader1:

TwinFoxes
01-12-2012, 07:30 PM
We have two years to go for this...

I read this and thought "that can't be right, Annie's DD1 is just a toddler". Holy cow! She's 5! I've been on this board a long time.

Jen841
01-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Family only. We go to a Catholic School, that seemed to be the norm. We gifted close friends, but the celebrations were 'famliy' events.

Family only for us was 20+ aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents plus some Skypers.

For the life of me I can't remember what we served other than the Cross Cake. I am pretty sure it was smoked meat since that seems to be our thing, the family raves about it and we bought the smoker so we try to use it.

Fortunately it was a nice day so the kids all played in the yard, and the adults hung out on the porch and in the yard.

I do remember we had 9:30 mass, then did donuts,... then lunch @ noon.

MelissaTC
01-12-2012, 11:14 PM
We had a cross cake too, lol.

kijip
01-13-2012, 12:23 AM
We did dinner for about 18 at our fave Ethiopian restaurant. They let us bring in a cake as well. It is the same place we had our rehearsal dinner and is pretty special to us.

It was our family and a handful of close friends.

belovedgandp
01-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Special mass is at 2 pm on a Saturday. We'll invite god/grandparents only to that. Then have dinner/open house from 4-7-ish for local family and friends.

calv
01-13-2012, 02:13 PM
DH wants to have small intimiate. I want to get a small hall since it's easier! Dont have to clean up the house and more space but oviously more $$$$.

IMO a communion is/should be a big deal. Still have some time to finalize plans but I'm torn.

Gena
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
DS will make his First Communion in the spring.

We will probably have about 20 people, including DH's family (local). my family coming in from out of state, and a couple of close friends. We will probably do it at home. Hopefully the weather will be good and we can have it indoor/outdoor, since my house is the size of a postage stamp.

kboyle
01-15-2012, 10:56 AM
last spring we did it at our house. there were about 30 of us, but that was just our immediate family, bil/sil/mil, then his 3 aunts and their kids/grandkids. and my bff/ds1's godmother. no other family or friends, just close and intimate :)

we ordered food from the local grocery store that has really good food (chicken, pasta, fruit, salad, cake)

liz
01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
We go to a restaurant after the ceremony. I usually throw all of our parties at home,
but on these occasions it was nice to have everything taken care of for us.

giavila
01-15-2012, 12:34 PM
We will have a small reception at our house, about 20 people. We did something much bigger for her baptism, but I would like to keep this one more intimate.