PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have this

lhafer
01-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Chair for kids from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40100253/#/40100253

If so - how has it held up? My 5 year old ADORES this chair, and I was thinking about getting it for her birthday. My 23 month old loves it too, so I might have to get 2 of them.

Just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them.

ellies mom
01-12-2012, 10:10 PM
We have it. I would say that it did hold up pretty well for a while, but eventually the metal rods in the canopy tore through where it connects to the chair. I probably could fix it but I haven't. I just removed it when it became really bad and stuck it in the garage until I feel like dealing with it. The girls still use the chair so I feel like we got our money's worth.

I do wish that you could buy replacement canopies but apparently Ikea doesn't offer it.

kbud
01-12-2012, 10:28 PM
We don't have it but my girls love it at the store. Last week I noticed one of them didn't really swivel much at all anymore. I'm sure the store ones get quite a workout though. I do think it's one of the items at Ikea that I feel is way over priced. Most things are very reasonable there but $80 to me seems steep for a plastic chair.

twowhat?
01-12-2012, 10:56 PM
We don't have it but OMG these are such a ridiculously huge hit when we go visit IKEA. I'd say they must hold up well because I've seen the same 2 swivel chairs in their kids display section a few times now (and we don't go to IKEA that often) and they always swiveled great. They look disgusting, canopy dirty, etc...but they seem like they hold up well given the workout that kids give them in the store!

I do agree that the $80 seems REALLY steep for IKEA.

kep
01-12-2012, 10:57 PM
My kids LOVE it, too. But I agree, it seems overpriced, especially for Ikea. We have not bought it, mainly because of price... and the need to buy more than one. Lol.

Tondi G
01-13-2012, 02:17 AM
we don't own one but my kids are all over that when we go to IKEA!

lhafer
01-13-2012, 03:39 PM
I see I'm not the only one with this issue! My DD1 LOVEs the color blue, and will NOT get out of this chair when we are there. I went there the other day (it's about 45 mintues from me) to get an expedit, and while I spent 2 hours debating with myself between the 4x4 or the 5x5, the girls played with these chairs and some of the other things (a small slide, the pop up tent, etc).

I just can't spend $160 on 2 plastic chairs!!! I would need 2 because they would fit over it if I just got 1. I put them on my kids' Amazon wish list...so maybe a grandparent will indulge them!

Perhaps when their Discovery Kids Color Me Play house breaks down I will buy the slide instead and call it even!

sunshine873
01-13-2012, 03:55 PM
We were just there last weekend & DD loved it too! I'm glad I'm not alone on the cost issue. I mean, that little plastic chair would have cost more than the wood Expedit I was there to buy! That just doesn't add up in my book - seems way to expensive for a piece of plastic furniture from Ikea. If it was more reasonable (say around $30) I would have bought it in an instant!

Gena
01-13-2012, 04:24 PM
The sensory room at DS's school has this chair. DS loves it and I hear it's a huge hit with other kids too. It gets a ton of use and seems to hold up well.

lhafer
01-13-2012, 04:56 PM
I might end up getting if to DD1's birthday in march. But I would only get 1, and they will have to deal with it. I just think it's a very cute chair!

pastrygirl
01-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Is that the one that's for smaller children? I vaguely remember seeing it when my son was 4 and he was already too big for it. Or am I thinking of a different chair?

lhafer
01-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Is that the one that's for smaller children? I vaguely remember seeing it when my son was 4 and he was already too big for it. Or am I thinking of a different chair?

It's big for my 2 year old, and my almost 6 year old fits in it perfectly, albeit she's on the petite side. Unless she just grows and grows the next couple of years, I foresee her fitting in it that long.

YouAreTheFocus
01-13-2012, 07:12 PM
How's the Craigslist in your area? At 80 bucks ea new, this is something I'd be stalking CL for. They've carried this chair for a long time, so I think there'd be some used ones floating around.

elektra
01-13-2012, 07:29 PM
We have it. Both kids love it.

fauve01
01-13-2012, 11:36 PM
My mom got it for my DD when she turned 3. She's 8 now and the chair is still in great condition. it gets heavy spinning use, mostly during playdates--the kids all make a beeline for it and tell DD how lucky she "is to have it at home!" lol. We got the orange chair because i thought that white canopy would get filthy and stay filthy. Orange chair looks great, spins great. DD and her friends still smash themselves in it and twirl all over. She still likes to read and hide in there.

anne + DD 10-03