PDA

View Full Version : need a GPS - seen any good deals?

wifecat
01-12-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm so tired of getting lost so I'm breaking down and getting a GPS. But, I know nothing about them. Garmin? Tom Tom? It's all gibberish to me. Anyone have one you like or seen a good deal recently? And...what IS a good deal on them? I don't know how much I should expect to pay.

WatchingThemGrow
01-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Do you have a smartphone? I find Google Maps/Navigation really handy.

wifecat
01-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Do you have a smartphone? I find Google Maps/Navigation really handy.

Nope, no smart phone. We have one super cheapo pay as you go cell for emergencies. I print google map directions before I go anywhere (we just moved to a new city/state) but I have NO sense of direction. As soon as I miss a street and have to turn around, I could end up lost for a loooong time.

wellyes
01-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Get a Garmin, they're awesome! They will change your driving experience. Don't worry too much about bell and whistles, the < $100 ones on Amazon offer 97% the same as the more expensive models.

kcimato
01-14-2012, 12:04 PM
We have had several Garmin Nuvis and love them. PP is right about the bells and whistles. Just don't need all of that. Just make sure you get one with Lifetime map updates. Also drive around town with it on just to get the feel as to how it works. We also found it may not take the route your used to but do it anyway. We have it on when we travel long distances home even though we know the way. Keeps you on your toes plus we found 2 shortcut segments in the route that has saves us about a half hour of driving time.

essnce629
01-15-2012, 08:53 PM
I have a Garmin and LOVE it! Our first one was stolen (out of the glove box) and I just got a new one for Christmas. You definately need free lifetime maps, and mine has free lifetime traffic (knows where the traffic/accidents are and re-routes you) which is a must in Los Angeles. I did a lot of research and got this one for $139: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZX8B2S

My best friend had the same one with lifetime maps, traffic, and bluetooth, which she loves since she uses it to make calls during her commute. That one is $10 more.