PDA

View Full Version : Do you have/use the Total Baby ap?

mommylamb
01-13-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm thinking of getting the total baby ap for when DS2 is born to keep track of feedings/diaper changes etc. I'd be interested in hearing from other BBBers about how useful this was.

As an aside, I'm still steamed about an incident I had while buying my iphone. I was talking to the apple store rep who was helping me as I bought the phone about various aps and I mentioned this one. She was not familiar with it so I was giving her my very limited knowledge of what it does. Some a$$ hole guy sitting near us eavesdropping on the conversation feels the need to butt in, and in a very condescending voice, says to me something like "you must be a first time mom. Don't worry, the baby will tell you if he's hungry. You don't need an ap." I was so taken aback. I wish I had responded with something snappier. Instead I said "Actually, I already have a child. And you do need to keep track of how often they eat." I've been kind of stewing about it ever since.

nfowife
01-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I used it with dd2 for the first 2 months or so. It was very helpful for keeping track of feedings and diapers.

daisymommy
01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
I've only had my iPhone for less than a year, so I'm not familiar with that app. But I LOVE this chart, and used it with my other 3 kids, plan to use it again. I like that it reminds you how often you should be feeding for each day of birth, how many diapers baby should have, and what the poop color should be to make sure they are clearing out all the meconium. I had a copy on a clipboard with a pen attached. Other family members who were with us, helping take care of baby could enter in info. that way too.

http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/breastfeeding-log-2wk.pdf

amldaley
01-13-2012, 11:35 AM
I used the Itzbeen Baby Care Timer (also sometimes packaged as the Itzbeen Pocket Nanny - exact same product).

The reason I prefer this to an app is because...

1) It can be handed off to another care giver. So when I have to run out and DH has the baby, he has the timer, etc.

2) It is a stand alone item that won't interfer with me making a call or using my phone otherwise.

3) When I need to know that info and need to know it NOW, I don't want to be tapping away at my phone to access the app. It's more like wearing a watch or having a clock on the wall...easy, immediate, access.

4) All you have to do is press a button vs several taps in an app.

amldaley
01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
As an aside, I'm still steamed about an incident I had while buying my iphone. I was talking to the apple store rep who was helping me as I bought the phone about various aps and I mentioned this one. She was not familiar with it so I was giving her my very limited knowledge of what it does. Some a$$ hole guy sitting near us eavesdropping on the conversation feels the need to butt in, and in a very condescending voice, says to me something like "you must be a first time mom. Don't worry, the baby will tell you if he's hungry. You don't need an ap." I was so taken aback. I wish I had responded with something snappier. Instead I said "Actually, I already have a child. And you do need to keep track of how often they eat." I've been kind of stewing about it ever since.

That sort of thing made me freakin' crazy with DD1. Just remind yourself, you are a more aware, informed, intelligent and involved parent than he likely ever was. Wouldn't it be FASCINATING to hear what his WIFE would have to say about all that?

♥ms.pacman♥
01-13-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm thinking of getting the total baby ap for when DS2 is born to keep track of feedings/diaper changes etc. I'd be interested in hearing from other BBBers about how useful this was.

WOW, what a colossal a$$hole!!! i would have been so mad I wouldn't have known what to say. I would have wanted to say "and how many children have YOU pushed out of your VAGINA and had suck on your boob?" Ugh, i hate guys who think they know everything about being a parent bc their wife had a kid (wife probably did all the work too).

Anyway, I have and used the total baby app on my iTouch. i liked keeping track of naps, feedings etc. i used it a lot with my DD after she finally came home. for the first month with DD in the NICu i was mostly pumping for that time (i used another app called Milk Maid to keep track of pumping amounts, etc). but after she came home i used the total baby app, and i liked to keep track of which side she nursed from, how long she was nursing. i also liked keeping track of how many wet/soiled dipes...waas much easier than using paper which is what i used with DS.

i also really like Total Baby for the growth rate data. With both DS and DD i enter in their stats at their checkup appts, and then it shows you a graph (CDC and WHO as well) that you can email later. I thought that was pretty cool!!

Beth24
01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Just want to say that that guy is a total a-hole! Don't give him another thought...he's not worth it.

mommylamb
01-13-2012, 12:35 PM
It feels good to vent about it. Sorry for doing so in the Lounge, but the vent was combined with a legitimate question about the ap. I think I might try it out.

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode where George was thinking about a come back to something someone said to him and trying to recreate the situation so he could use the perfect comeback? I really feel like I want to do that. ETA: And you guys are right, even if this guy is a parent, I doubt he has any clue about all the things you have to keep track of with a new born. And how difficult it is to do that while entirely sleep deprived, as I bet his wife was the one sleep deprived and he was snoring away for his 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night.

arivecchi
01-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Sounds like that guy need a manners app.......

Beth24
01-13-2012, 02:38 PM
It feels good to vent about it. Sorry for doing so in the Lounge, but the vent was combined with a legitimate question about the ap. I think I might try it out.

Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode where George was thinking about a come back to something someone said to him and trying to recreate the situation so he could use the perfect comeback? I really feel like I want to do that. ETA: And you guys are right, even if this guy is a parent, I doubt he has any clue about all the things you have to keep track of with a new born. And how difficult it is to do that while entirely sleep deprived, as I bet his wife was the one sleep deprived and he was snoring away for his 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night.

Yes I remember that one! I always think of the perfect thing to say 10 minutes after the fact so I definitely appreciate how you feel. I guess you can find comfort in the fact that there are plenty of other ignorant a-holes out there so you will most likely find yourself on the receiving end of unhelpful, unsolicited advice real soon! :D