PDA

View Full Version : Baby Items to sell

raj
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
I have my son's used gear like travel system, swing etc in excellent condition that I do not know where to sell o or if should just donate them - Any suggestions in Dallas?

Melaine
01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
I have had good luck with craigslist.

raj
01-13-2012, 02:53 PM
How does it work with Craig List? - I am just apprehensive when it comes to strangers coming to the house to buy/check items!

TwinFoxes
01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
You could drive to meet them, but if they flake, you've driven somewhere for no reason. Are there any consignment shops near you?

Choccie
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
I've had great luck with craigslist - as long as you are reasonable with your prices, baby stuff sells pretty quick!

rolypoly27
01-13-2012, 03:33 PM
CL works well here. We usually meet them at the shopping center right next to our home. Usually at Starbucks or the parking lot.

Some pointers:

Try to post a detailed ad with product name, color, condition, and picture (if possible)
Be reasonable with your prices
Be upfront and honest about the product condition (parts missing/broken, scratches, dents)
Cash only! (no money orders, checks, etc.)
Meet at a location near your home if you don't want visitors
Always first-come, first-served

We have also used Freecycle to give things away for free. We just leave it outside the garage or somewhere after someone responds.

nfowife
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
I like craigslist for that stuff too- If you are detailed and take good pictures most of the time people don't want to look at it, they will commit to buy and then you just make a convenient meeting time somewhere out and about and do the exchange there.

Another option is to sell at a consignment sale like JBF. There is likely one near you coming up in March. But you won't make as much money going that route. But it's better for small stuff and clothes.

fasthdgirl
01-13-2012, 04:09 PM
We sold all our daughters stuff at a consignment sale. They are a great place to get rid of old stuff and get new.

vonfirmath
01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
I don't want people coming out to our house and we're quite a ways from stores so I mostly sell at consignment. Its better than the donating we'd be doing otherwise!

mom2one
01-13-2012, 07:11 PM
I sold almost all my DS stuff on craigslist. I have had no problems. I have sold well over 100 things on CL. Sold my DS spiderman bike today. :o) Baby items tend to sell very well, especially if in good condition and you post pictures.

Here is what I do after ad is placed.
Person responds to ad via email and says I want to buy YXZ. I then write back that XYZ is still for sale, when would they like to come get it. I always wait for the person to respond back and answer all questions before I give out any personal info. Some people are "just looking" i guess, because you never hear from them again. Also, it is a really nice when people respond with I want XYZ today, here is my phone #, please call me. This type of responder usually shows up and buys the item because they gave you their phone number.

Good luck with CL. My DH is home for most transactions, and todays I met the person at our local In and Out.

Susan

nupe
01-13-2012, 09:50 PM
I have posted to the classifieds on the work intranet. I post one thing at a time. If someone buys one thing I might tell them about other items and sell several items that way. I wasn't in a hurry.

I have also selectively gifted to friends with babies, letting them know of course that they are used.

ZeeBaby
01-13-2012, 11:29 PM
I am trying to sell all of my baby stuff on Craigslist. DDs are one with everything and we need our basement back. I follow all the tips provided and meet in a neutral location. I have had great luck so far and gotten my asking price.

Jo..
01-13-2012, 11:49 PM
CL works well here. We usually meet them at the shopping center right next to our home. Usually at Starbucks or the parking lot.

Some pointers:

Try to post a detailed ad with product name, color, condition, and picture (if possible)
Be reasonable with your prices
Be upfront and honest about the product condition (parts missing/broken, scratches, dents)
Cash only! (no money orders, checks, etc.)
Meet at a location near your home if you don't want visitors
Always first-come, first-served

This is a GREAT list. I sell ALL gear on CL and arrange a time to meet at a grocery a couple minutes away. For EUC gear, (seats strollers, etc) I generally ask 40% of retail or 40% of what I paid, whatever is less. I adjust for lesser condition.

I also require all CL buyers to call me when they are 5-15 minutes away from the meeting place. If they don't call, I don't go. Too many of these people are flakes and change their minds at the last second.

I sell clothes and smaller items that ship easily on BBB swap

mom2binsd
01-14-2012, 01:41 AM
I know there are a number of JBF consignment sale in the Dallas area (they are HUGE there), I'd look at consigning at their spring sale (sign up online soon).