PDA

View Full Version : Help with bumper pads or not?

mylilmol
01-13-2012, 04:15 PM
I noticed in Chicago that stores are no longer able to sell bumper pads. I was thinking about using the breathable ones....thoughts?

I did also see the breathable crib mattress ( http://www.securebeginnings.com )in all the baby stores I visisted in Chicago. I like the idea of being able to wash the whole mattress section and not having to buy all the sheets and pads etc. which add up. I was wondering if I should go that route...thoughts?

Uno-Mom
01-14-2012, 02:27 AM
Hi! I think you might get more responses.to this question in the nursery section - just because people tend to look there for bedding / crib discussions.

But I can recommend the breathable bumpers! Sprog has had one all along, with no issues. It fits her crib nicely. I like the simple look. Now that she's bigger, we just have it there because she's used to having it. Why mess with a two-yr-old's crib, right? Anyway I appreciate how it just scrunches down when she tries to get a leg up on it!

SnuggleBuggles
01-14-2012, 10:06 AM
I think you will wind up spending a lot more if you go that all in one mattress route. You probably want at least 3 sets (1 in use, 1 in the wash, 1 as back up for a really bad night). Looks like they are $150/ set, if I am reading right? You can buy a breathable bumper for around $30, a mattress for $80 (that one varies a ton though!!), sheets for $10-20, and mattress pads for $10-20. You just have a lot more versatility when you go a la carte.

mommytoC
01-14-2012, 10:43 AM
I second the breathable bumpers...actually ours is a breathable crib shield:
http://www.breathablebaby.com/liner/liner-cribshield.html

It comes in 4 pieces, which worked well for our solid end crib (we just used the 2 side panels).

I haven't seen the breathable mattress...personally, I think I'd prefer separate sheets (we have 4 - 2 cotton and 2 PBK chamois) and mattress pad(s) (we have 1).

scrooks
01-14-2012, 11:29 AM
We also liked the breathable bumpers! I used ours with both DC.

Simon
01-14-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't think the all-in-one idea is very practical.

Two days before Christmas, the flu hit our household, and Ds2 threw up on 4sets of sheets/blankets/towels between midnight and 5 am. With the product you linked to, we'd have been SOL after the first bout.

mikala
01-14-2012, 05:51 PM
I agree with the comments PP have made. I'm also skeptical of how clean you'd ever get the breathable crib mattress if you have a front loading washer. They don't generally load with enough water to submerge lightweight but bulky items like this.

eta: we just went bumperless and it was fine. A few friends liked the breathable crib bumper.

fumofu
01-15-2012, 02:57 AM
I had bought the breathable bumper before DS was born, but DH didn't like the look of it. So we ended up with no bumpers. Don't feel like we're missing out. DS didn't stick his extremities out when he was younger, and now he knows how to pull them back into the crib.

Melaine
01-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Is the breathable bumper just for looks? I don't get it. I mean a bumper pad is meant to keep them from bumping their heads, right...So a breathable one is safe, but doesn't prevent the bumping, right? Is there something else to why you would get one over nothing?

daisymommy
01-15-2012, 09:32 AM
My first 2 kids got their limbs horribly stuck (lots of scary painful crying!) between the crib slats when I tried removing the bumper, even though experts say that won't happen. So I'm guessing the breathable bumper helps prevent that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melaine
01-15-2012, 09:33 AM
My first 2 kids got their limbs horribly stuck (lots of scary painful crying!) between the crib slats when I tried removing the bumper, even though experts say that won't happen. So I'm guessing the breathable bumper helps prevent that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh ok. That makes sense. I have been meaning to ask about these for awhile.

SnuggleBuggles
01-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Is the breathable bumper just for looks? I don't get it. I mean a bumper pad is meant to keep them from bumping their heads, right...So a breathable one is safe, but doesn't prevent the bumping, right? Is there something else to why you would get one over nothing?

It softens things up a bit over just wood. I didn't use bumpers with ds1 and he wasn't covered in bumps and bruises even though he slept against the slats a lot. ;) We had the breathable ones for ds2 and they were just right.

HIU8
01-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Didn't use any kind of a bumper for either of my kids. DS never had an issue getting stuck between the slats. DD did have an issue with it though. We also didn't use a bedskirt b/c DS used to reach down, grab it and suck on it all the time. I thought about the breathable bumper but read something about it coming apart and a child getting tangled up in it.

okinawama
01-16-2012, 12:37 AM
I have been looking into getting this because I am constantly on my hands and knees in the middle of the night frantically trying to find lost pacifiers in the dark. It doesn't matter how many I put in his crib, my little guy manages to knock them all out. I'm hoping that this type of bumper will be safe ye effective in keeping the pacis in the crib!

pollypolly
01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
My SIL recommended the breathable bumper so I put it on my registry. Not as much fun as the cute lamb one that matches my sheets, but 1/3 the price. The book also recommends the breathable.

BeccaB.
01-16-2012, 10:35 PM
I love the breathable bumper too. Have used them with both DSs after DS1 got his leg caught between slats and woke up screaming at the top of his lungs. Never had problems with bruises during the night either.