PDA

View Full Version : Special ideas for your "milestone" birthday?

Twoboos
01-13-2012, 04:23 PM
My 40th is coming up (sob!) so I've been thinking about this lately.

For my 30th DH surprised me with a trip to Paris. It was so fabulously wonderful and probably a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Now for my 40th he wants to do something special. He has told DDs we'll go to Hawaii, but I've already been twice (honeymoon and SIL's wedding) so I'd rather do something else. Even though HI is obviously LOVELY, it's painful to get there from the east coast, especially with two kids. I have made him promise in no uncertain terms that he's NOT planning this trip!

I'm all over the place... big trip, big party here, big party at a place, small party with friends, spa day and dinner with a smaller group (a friend did this, it was awesome!), smaller trip for just me & DH, I just don't know.

So, hit me with what you did or your dream celebration!! :D

arivecchi
01-13-2012, 04:32 PM
For my 40th I would love to take a Caribbean cruise or return to Cap Juluca in Anguilla.

infomama
01-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Cowgirl Yoga retreat with my best friend.

pb&j
01-13-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm not a cruise person, but I'd LOVE to go on one of these cruises:
http://www.expeditions.com/

infomama
01-13-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm not a cruise person, but I'd LOVE to go on one of these cruises:
http://www.expeditions.com/

Wow. This looks awesome.
http://www.expeditions.com/Ships67.asp?Expedition=130&Destination=298

maestramommy
01-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Dang, you are lucky! :D

If I had my druthers, I'd love to have a family party with dh's extended family up at our house. Just a day with lots of good food, and hanging out. My bday's in Dec. so no pool unfortunately. I'd love my family to be there too, but they're too far away. Dh has cousins and uncles and aunts in bordering states, and they are a lot of fun!

Followed by an overnight/date night with Dh. Not necessarily right away. But maybe a week later.

Just had another thought. A friend of mine is going to an all inclusive resort in Jamaica. It's called FDR and it caters to families with toddlers. You get your own nanny for the entire stay. They stay with you from 9-4, and if you like they can work overtime, but you pay her out of pocket. Overtime is $5/hr. I gasped when I heard that, but even though the nannies don't get paid much, it's a really coveted job. I hear they are pretty good, mostly older women.

mjs64
01-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Personally, I'd go somewhere with DH that would be hard to navigate with kids. Paris, Barcelona, cruise the Greek Isles. Traveling with kids (okay, kid) is just hard and finding time alone with DH is too. And I'm not a big party person. For a smaller trip I would go to the Bay Area, Napa, or maybe something crazy, like a whitewater rapids trip through Colorado. But I'm sure whatever you choose will be great. Congrats!

ccather
01-13-2012, 07:00 PM
I want an Egyptian themed party since I'm already wallowing in de Nile. :p

MelissaTC
01-13-2012, 07:45 PM
I want to go to Vegas with my favorite people.

BDKmom
01-13-2012, 07:50 PM
A friend of mine did a Sunday brunch out at a nice place with all her girl friends and we all dressed up and wore fancy hats. Totally not the kind of thing I would do on my own, but was really fun with a group of girls.

I think a trip would be wonderful, but I would still want to do some sort of celebration with friends.

tlw
01-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Mine is coming up in October, and I'm having a dinner party at home with 40 of my friends/family. It will be outside, under a full moon (harvest moon is the theme). One long table lined with white candles and white Chinese lanterns overhead. Good food. Good wine. Good friends. Good music. Low-key and catered (that's the treat for me!)

misshollygolightly
01-13-2012, 08:13 PM
I want an Egyptian themed party since I'm already wallowing in de Nile. :p

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

SnuggleBuggles
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Hmmm.... Options I would consider:
-renting a big, fancy house on a lake or beach for the weekend with friends. Hang out, relax and have a party all weekend.
-I'd say a big party but I know I'd be stressed and do too much of the work.
-Hard to say no to somewhere tropical.

hillview
01-13-2012, 09:24 PM
DH and I went without kids to Argentina for his big birthday. We went to Miami for mine.

If you want to include the kids I might do a cruise with a kids club :)