PDA

View Full Version : Are drop sided cribs banned?

BeachBum
01-14-2012, 08:47 AM
I just went to post an ad to sell our cribs (two) on CL and it said no posting banned or illegal items "e.g. drop side cribs".
Really?

My $900 crib can't even be listed on CL because it has a drop side? They are deemed that unsafe?

Can someone fill me in?

veronica
01-14-2012, 08:50 AM
yes, earlier this year they were all phased out.

veronica
01-14-2012, 08:53 AM
There were several individual recalls for specific bad cribs where baby's head could get lodged between drop side and mattress. most issues were due to poor hardware placement and materials. those individual models had all been recalled but after enough incidents, they made the blanket move to recall all drop-sides.

some of the bad cribs were cheap, some were not , so it wasn't necessarily a "get what you pay for thing".

Luckily, I was able to call Bellini just before the twins were born and got a matching crib to ODS's delivered in march. Because they were never in violation for any of their cribs, they were allowed to sell their current stock until June 1 of this year. I was thrilled to find it.

hth

wellyes
01-14-2012, 08:56 AM
New ones are no longer sold but it is not illrgal to continue to use existing ones.
Interesting that CL advises to not post them.
I might just post anyway, disclosing the drop-side, if thereis no local consignment shop. As a mom,there are certain drop sides I would buy.

Melaine
01-14-2012, 09:11 AM
We are going to pull out our drop-side and put it together and look at it. Assuming there have been no specific recalls and it still looks sturdy (as it did before), we will be using it.

Honestly, though, I don't know if I would list it on CL, because I think you will get a lot of mean emails from mama nazis (I mean, I am guilty of repeatedly flagging carseats that are expired and I'm sure some people are vigilantes about dropsides).

Oh, I was told that some companies issued kits to make a drop-side non-drop-side. So maybe you could get one of those and still sell it, just mentioning it had been modified.

daisymommy
01-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Yes, they can no longer be manufactured, and we as private citizens cannot sell or donate our old drop side cribs (such as on Craigslist).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjjo1112
01-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't want the liability of posting a drop side crib on craigslist, especially since they are listed as a banned item due to safety concerns. You can't donate them anymore and there are no consignment stores I know of that will take them.

crl
01-14-2012, 09:41 AM
If it converts to a toddler bed, I would think you could discard the infant rail and sell it as a toddler bed. I gave ours away in that configuration, before the ban went into effect.

Catherine

wellyes
01-14-2012, 09:52 AM
If all else fails, I have seen some tutorials online for turning a crib into a keepsake bench.
Eta - or a desk http://thehappyhomester.wordpress.com/2011/09/05/turn-a-crib-into-a-desk/

smilequeen
01-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Yep, you aren't allowed to sell them or donate them anymore. I have one too. Mine actually was recalled but with the stabilizer fix, so we stabillized the drop side and used it for DS3. It was expensive, but at least we got 3 kids out of it :)

KpbS
01-14-2012, 10:51 AM
There are lots of neat ideas about repurposing cribs

http://m.cafemom.com/groups/read_topic.php?group_id=111697&topic_id=15227189

I love the child's workstation--so cute!

zag95
01-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Might also be a good option for the bRU trade-in- not sure if they take cribs.....

cute ideas on the repurposing!

AnnieW625
01-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Yes and it stinks if you ask me, ESP. if it is a good quality set. Most manufacturers sell immobilizer kits.

Tinochka
01-14-2012, 03:33 PM
I don’t like it either. That because of the poor quality of some cheap ones, they banned all of them:(. Mine is not $900, but still good quality. You’ll be not able to remove the drop side unless you take apart a crib, it’s built in. I still use it with my 2,6DC, because I know it’s safe.
Somebody mentioned in a group, that that action might effect, where kids will sleep and their safety, because there are people who are not as tall as some of us, who will put their kids anywhere than the crib, because of the height issue;(.
I’ll keep my crib for some time, then will sell as a toddler bed. It’s a nice quality, I can’t toss it!

tiapam
01-14-2012, 08:42 PM
I don’t like it either. That because of the poor quality of some cheap ones, they banned all of them:(. Mine is not $900, but still good quality. You’ll be not able to remove the drop side unless you take apart a crib, it’s built in. I still use it with my 2,6DC, because I know it’s safe.
Somebody mentioned in a group, that that action might effect, where kids will sleep and their safety, because there are people who are not as tall as some of us, who will put their kids anywhere than the crib, because of the height issue;(.
I’ll keep my crib for some time, then will sell as a toddler bed. It’s a nice quality, I can’t toss it!

ITA. I also think parents might leave the mattress height at a higher level for longer and there will be more kids falling out of cribs. I am 5'5" and the drop side was a lifesaver for me as I often have back problems.

I recently ordered and received (for free) a conversion kit for our Bassett crib, because I am not sure what we will do with the crib. I wanted to try the desk idea, but my crib has springs, so I don't think it will work??? Has anyone tried it with one that has springs?

jjordan
01-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Just to clarify, they haven't necessarily all been recalled. It's just that the sale of drop-side cribs is now illegal.

We're still using ours.

vonfirmath
01-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Just to clarify, they haven't necessarily all been recalled. It's just that the sale of drop-side cribs is now illegal.

We're still using ours.

We're using ours too and will throw it away when done unless we run into someone who wants a drop side crib that we can give it to.

Penny's Pappa
01-15-2012, 10:11 AM
New ones are no longer sold but it is not illrgal to continue to use existing ones.
I might just post anyway, disclosing the drop-side, if thereis no local consignment shop. As a mom,there are certain drop sides I would buy.

It's my understanding that it's illegal to resell them, and obviously CL is not interested in hosting illegal sales.

The whole thing just annoys me. As PPs have said, it makes no sense to ban all dropsides just because of a few bad apples. With proper design, construction, and quality materials -- which could have all been regulated -- I would think a dropside could be just as safe as a normal crib. The CPSC went overboard on this one if you ask me.

fortato
01-15-2012, 11:37 AM
We're using ours... I can't imagine having to use a fixed side crib... I can barely reach the mattress lowered all the way down with the drop side as it is.

I've been looking for a way to repurpose it when Matthew outgrows it,(thank you Pinterest) since I know we won't sell it... It would be a shame to have to throw it away.

kaitlyns.mom
01-15-2012, 01:11 PM
We're using ours as a fixed side; it was recalled so we got the fix-it kit and it's very sturdy. We won't sell it though - won't take that risk - we'll have to just take it to BRU for their trade-in event when DS outgrows it. Because of that we'll probably put the toddler rail on it and try to use it for longer than we did with DD (we just moved her straight to a twin bed at age 2).

momm
01-15-2012, 02:17 PM

You can continue to use them, yes. However, it's definitely illegal to try to sell them, on craigslist or anywhere else. I'd not recommend posting anyway without disclosing. You never know what kind of person you will end up selling to, and then the liability will be yours.

I like the other ideas of conversion and refurbishing!