PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy wooden train track pieces

ang79
01-14-2012, 12:25 PM
DH put up the Circo train table today, and is now frustrated that he can't get a track set up on it because we need more short curve pieces and more male-male and female-female ended pieces to make everything work together. I've found some on Amazon, but was wondering if there was a better place to buy (i.e. cheaper), maybe AC Moore with a coupon? Eventually we'd also like some bridges or tunnels too. Right now most of our train tracks are the Brio ones that DH had as a kid, as well as some Circo ones. But the few bridges we have our too short for most of our trains to fit under (I think they are the Thomas Early Engineers ones that are always cheap at Ross, and they are a bit taller than the normal Thomas wooden trains).

Mommaof3
01-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Target had a Circo set for $22 I was thinking of getting to go with the table.

MamaMolly
01-14-2012, 12:40 PM
I think Craigslist or a kid's consignment shop is going to get you the best price. I bought a HUGE tote full for $44. It had track, trains, buildings etc. It must have been several hundreds of dollars originally.

ang79
01-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Neither of my targets had any circo sets that would have been useful for what we need. We have a ton of straight pieces and the larger curves, but need the shorter curves and those M-M and F-F ended pieces to make everything fit together (since I gave her the Circo round circle thing for Christmas and it has 8 branches coming off of it!). So I either need to buy some individual pieces, or small sets of the short curves and M-M/F-F ended pieces. Wasn't sure if AC Moore sells these individually? I don't go in there often. And are their normal 40% off coupons good on the train stuff?

Momit
01-14-2012, 01:09 PM
If you're close to an IKEA that's a good place to get tracks. Theirs work pretty well with Thomas and the others. They are a little different in that they have a plastic connector piece on the end of the male pieces rather than a wood cutout, so they are considered a choking hazard for <3. DH likes them because it's possible to add/remove them when you need a male-male or female-female piece. They are pretty hard to get out so DS has never been able to do it himself.

Otherwise, like PP said a consignment shop, Craigslist or garage sale.

AlbrightRC
01-14-2012, 01:12 PM
If you have any smaller independent toy stores in your area they might have individual track.

gobadgers
01-14-2012, 02:27 PM
The IKEA ones are a great deal, but note that most Thomas trains do not fit through the IKEA tunnels!

♥ms.pacman♥
01-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Craigslist. I got tons of thomas tracks in new condition for a tiny fraction of retail price. One batch I got had lots of adapters, curved pieces, junctions etc.I have more track that i know what to do with. I agree that train table sets barely give you any track to work with !