PDA

View Full Version : Question re: antibiotics

DietCokeLover
01-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Can antibiotics alter your mood? I've been sick for a week. Probably bronchitis. But, I just started antibiotics yesterday and I have been an absolute witch to my DH and dc for the past 24 hours or so. It's not time for AF or anything like that. I still feel as bad as I have all week. Only difference is that I started medicine.
Is this possible or am I just being a terrible person?

lalasmama
01-14-2012, 02:11 PM
What kind of antibiotics?

Augmentin is known for making some kids extra challenging... maybe you react the same way?

When DD was on Augmentin, I spent all 10 days crying, because she was possessed the whole time--screaming over nothing, hitting/kicking/biting over minor offenses (I closed the door when I showered! GASP!), refusing to eat (then screaming because she was hungry and I wasn't serving the right food).... Oooohhh, man, I STILL hate that medicine, and she's hasn't had a dose in nearly 4 years.

ETA: Augmentin can also cause brick red poops, just in case you notice that too :bag

DietCokeLover
01-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Augmentin is known for making some kids extra challenging... maybe you react the same way?

When DD was on Augmentin, I spent all 10 days crying, because she was possessed the whole time--screaming over nothing, hitting/kicking/biting over minor offenses (I closed the door when I showered! GASP!), refusing to eat (then screaming because she was hungry and I wasn't serving the right food).... Oooohhh, man, I STILL hate that medicine, and she's hasn't had a dose in nearly 4 years.

ETA: Augmentin can also cause brick red poops, just in case you notice that too :bag

It's just a Z pack.

lalasmama
01-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Most people don't have that reaction to a z-pack, at least that I'm aware of from patients at my clinic. However, that doesn't mean it doesn't affect you that way! Any chance of getting some extra sleep and spending some "you" time to relax and get over this? (I know, it would be a "fat chance" in our house, but it's worth the mention to attempt to get some extra rest!)

catsnkid
01-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Never heard of it / experienced it from z-pack, though you are probably overtired from being sick all week. My sister claims that Cipro affected her mood tremendously.

MSWR0319
01-15-2012, 03:03 PM

Very interesting. DS is on Augmentin now and has been a bit more of a challenge than usual to say the least. then again he's three so I just chalked it up to that! I'll remember this the next time he gets sick.

Tondi G
01-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Antibiotics don't seem to affect my mood but being sick for what feels like ages definitely makes me a grumpy wife/mama! Augmentin does give me an awful metallic taste in my mouth for the entire run of medicine and makes me queezy.

solsister
01-17-2012, 03:25 AM
YES!

Zpak made me crazy, as did another antibiotic that I can't remember off the top of my head. Totally mood altering. Doom and gloomy. I've am sensitive to many meds, but used to be able to take zpak, just fine. It made me so mean, and also very weepy. I felt a sense of depersonalization. I remember the last two times that I was on it, and I remember feeling like I was trapped in a dream. I finally put two and two together and figured out what it was. I seem to be fine with old school anti's, but the broad spectrum just do me in.

Benadryl does the same thing to me, after taking it for a few days.

Check out askapatient.com and see how it affects some people.

solsister
01-17-2012, 03:27 AM
btw, my best friend is a family practice doctor, and said it is rare, but people do have strange reactions to some antibiotics, and benadryl is known for causing weird symptoms in some patients. nightmares is the most common, while psychosis is not unheard of. it usually stops when the med is stopped.