PDA

View Full Version : Make-up recommendations please

roseyloxs
01-14-2012, 03:49 PM
The "judging" post reminded me that I don't own any make-up. We moved 6 months ago and the movers somehow managed to miss my 'tiny' drawer of make-up. You can probably deduce that since I have gone 6 months without any make-up that I don't generally wear any. Still I need to re-supply so I am ready for those few nights for when I do.

I need recs for...

a good mascara, preferably in a brown tone.
Eye shadow in pink, purple or natural tones.
Blush
Some sort of light foundation or powder. I have pale skin and as most irish girls tend to have a lot of red in my face.
I suppose I should get a lipstick but always have trouble finding one I feel comfortable in. Any tips on how to find the right shade would be nice.

I don't have a planned budget for this so if you think something is worth the price go ahead and suggest it. Bonus points if you know the best place to buy it online. Thanks ladies!

mikala
01-14-2012, 04:22 PM
I tend to stick w/ drugstore mascaras since they have to be replaced so frequently. I've tried several recently and this is my current favorite. The brown/black color is a good neutral. http://www.drugstore.com/covergirl-natureluxe-mousse-mascara-very-black-500/qxp348600?catid=183541&fromsrch=natureluxe

How much coverage do you want for foundation? If you're looking for light coverage this is a nice tinted moisturizer. There is also an oil-free variety if you're prone to breakouts. I usually pair it with LM or MAC powder if I have any shiny spots.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P109936

Do you have a Sephora store or MAC counter nearby? They both tend to be good places for a free makeover and help finding colors that suit you.

wellyes
01-14-2012, 04:43 PM
OK:

- drugstore mascara, Maybeline Full and Soft is nice
- urban decay naked palette is a universally flattering neutral eyeshadow set , andincludes primer
- the most famous / popular blush I know of is NARS in Orgasm. I prefer color sticks. Josie Marin has a decent one for pale ladies in the checkout line at sephora for $10 (used to be $25)
- I think the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer is pretty popular for light coverage. I use Clinique Superbalanced. As I get older I find myself getting more comfortable with medium converge.
- In the book 'How to Not Look Old' it was suggested that women above 30 avoid dark colors, and aim for light pink. I don't like traditional lipstick. I use the collection of lip pencils from Tarte or the Clique Chubb sticks.

DietCokeLover
01-14-2012, 05:03 PM
I use L'Oreal Voluminous mascara.

Everything else comes from bare minerals. I use their foundation, mineral veil, well rested (for dark under eyes), and eye shadow.

mom2khj
01-14-2012, 05:26 PM
I agree with Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer with a loose powder to "set" is great for a light foundation.

Lancome Definicils mascara is my favorite.

As for colors, I agree. I would stop by a MAC counter or Sephora store and ask someone to help you pick colors. You can then try them on and make sure you like them.

crl
01-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Clinique almost lipstick in black honey is one of my favorite lip colors. I have seen it in magazines recommended as universally flattering and there was a thread here a while ago where several people recommended it.

Catherine

ETA. Not sure they have make up counters so much in Germany? I know there are Sephoras in France. . . . Maybe on post?

Cam&Clay
01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Clinique almost lipstick in black honey is one of my favorite lip colors. I have seen it in magazines recommended as universally flattering and there was a thread here a while ago where several people recommended it.

:yeahthat: I love that lipstick!

I use Philosophy's Supernatural mineral makeup. I like that it's in a dispenser so I don't have to deal with a brush.

I used Maybelline Great Lash. I'm on the lookout for something better. I have to have waterproof.

I love the Sephora big chunky eye pencils. I use them for eyeshadow and liner. They last all day.

Melaine
01-14-2012, 08:10 PM
I use bare minerals for almost everything, but I really like Mary Kay for mascara. If you have never tried minerals, you can order samples from EveryDay minerals, which people also highly recommend. They are worth a try, I would never want to go back to any other kind of foundation. I am open to trying different brands, but I just love the mineral makeup.

Green_Tea
01-14-2012, 08:18 PM
I like:

Maybelline Full & Soft mascara
Clinique's Totally Neutral Trio for eyeshadow
Make Up Forever Lift Concealer
Nars Orgasm blush
Laura Mercier Courtisane Stick Gloss for lips
Bare Minerals Lip Gloss - I like the Spice Cake and Bronze colors
Maybelline Shine Free pressed powder (I like this as much as the Bobbi Brown, Lancome and Clinique pressed powders I've had!)

I have tried the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, but it's too sheer for me. I usually add a drop of my regular moisturizer (Oil of Olay) to a Rimmel foundation I've been milking forever and it seems to provide the right amount of coverage.

fedoragirl
01-14-2012, 08:30 PM
L'oreal Voluminous mascara--been wearing it for 5 years. There is no Sephora in Germany but you can go to your local Breuningerland and be in makeup heaven.

m448
01-14-2012, 08:50 PM
I love jane iredale for mineral foundatiin especially my hard to match ethnic skintone. I use her loose powder and have used the pressed base as well. I love nars and Jane iredale blushes. My colors won't work as well in you but perhaps one will - made luster blush and albatross as a highlighter. MAC is my go to for shadows.

For something like the clinque almost lipstick but more color payoff and better texture check out the new Revlon lip butters. Swatches are online if you Google. I'm also in love with loreal beauty tubes mascara and primer thanks to the bbb as well as milani liquifeye liner that is a drugstore dupe for urban decay 24/7.

TxCat
01-14-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm not good about wearing mascara so I usually go with drugstore brands, typically Maybelline.

I'm also pretty low-maintenance when it comes to daily make-up, so personally, I'd forego the foundation for just a really good cover-up/highlighter. I have hereditary dark circles under my eyes so I can't live without Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat. I wear this daily.

Otherwise, my favorite make-up is usually Nars or Bobbi Brown. I like Nars The Multiple sticks for cheeks (ie, blush or bronzer). Both Nars and Bobbi Brown have great colors for eyeshadows. For lipstick, look at Nars Dolce Vita - that is another color that often gets rated as being universally flattering. I wear it regularly and love it.

Green22
01-14-2012, 09:54 PM
I would recommend alima mineral makeup - they are online.

You can buy $1/$1.50 samples and they have a lot of light colors for foundations- it is a mineral foundation. You can also buy a ton of samples on eyeshadows and blushes. I haven't gotten that far so can't recommend any.

Drugstore mascara - Full and Soft was my #1 favorite for a long time. If you are looking for a dramatic mascara, I think Voluminous False Lashes is a good way to go (though can't speak to staying power because I only wear it for short while).

infomama
01-14-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm light in the makeup department as well but since I'm over 30 and not blessed with flawless skin I have given in.

Most days I use Tarte tinted moisturizer (Smooth Operator), Korres mascara and Korres lipgloss in Nude. When I feel I need more I replace the tinted moisturizer with Tarte Clean Slate primer and follow that with Clinique Superbalanced. I have yet to find a 'darker' gloss I love. I never wear lipstick only gloss. I am a total novice at eye makeup so I just don't wear it and that's a shame. I got dolled up for a wedding recently and people that I have worked with for the past 10 years didn't recognize me (in a good way). I have potential but no idea how to make the magic happen.

MelissaTC
01-14-2012, 11:29 PM
I love Blinc and Lorac 3D mascara. My favorite blush is one of the Mary Kay cream blushes. I have just tried Balm Hot Mama and I like it. Another Nars Orgasm fan too. For eyes, I love Stila palettes. And I also like the Urban Decay Naked palettes. Naked 2 has some matte colors that work nicely with neutral pinks and light purples I have. I generally wear Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer in Nude. For more coverage, I really like the newer Mary Kay Timewise foundation. I top it all off with Urban Decay's lip gloss in Nude.

BabyH
01-14-2012, 11:52 PM
After using Tarte's new Amazonian Clay Foundation for the past four months, it has reached holy grail status for me. The deal you can get for the foundation and brush (omg the brush is unbelievable!) on QVC is insane, but there are more color choices on Tarte's website. If I could offer any color advice, I'd say choose lighter than you think... IMHO it runs a little yellow/darker than normal, which is probably easy to tweak in summer when we all have more natural color, but for winter, go lighter than you think. That said, Tarte says Medium is their best selling color. In the "high-end" range at around $34, but one tube will last FOREVER.

According to makeupalley.com, Monistat Chafing Gel (yes, you read that right) is a dupe for Smashbox Photo Finish - and I wasn't a believer until a few weeks ago. It works. And it works perfectly. So try it. (And you can find coupons for Monistat products so it makes it even better.)

I'm somewhat of an eyeliner whore/hoarder/whathaveyou and I think the Sephora brand pencils beat the competition every time. My favorite is the Flashy Black Purple. It's $8, and it's amazing.

I use several different Benefit boxed powders as blushes and bronzers, changing which ones I use every day. Those cute little boxes are expensive, but again, they last for years. YEARS! Coralista and Bella Bamba look scary in the box, but they both are very beautiful on the skin!

And for my lips, I'm a fan of the Tarte pencils. They have been my favorite for years. I bought two of the LE sets they had come out before Christmas because I love them so much.

Anyway, I feel like I wrote a novel with this post. I guess after all of this, I also want to say that although Sephora has a lock down on makeup brands and skincare (let's face it, Ulta is a gateway drug and will never be what Sephora is) drugstores have all kinds of great products for cheap. Makeupalley.com and paulaschoice.com both are FABULOUS resources to help you find what works. (I mean really, I've been a Sephora VIB from Day 1, but I still use Cover Girl (and not that stupid pink and green tube either) mascara every now and again and Johnson and Johnson Purpose face wash!)

:D

bandgsmama
01-15-2012, 12:49 AM
when i do wear makeup (maybe once a week), here's what i use:

highlighter or a primer: benefit girl meets pearl http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P272008&categoryId=B70 or that girl by benefit

foundation: bare escentuals night treatment in med http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P136024

blush: benefit coralista http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P229206&categoryId=B70 - but i do like the cream blushes better, this is just what i have had for a while

mascara: maybeline full & soft

on my eyes: some grey eyeliner. i brush some of the bare escentuals in warmth on eyelids & benefit cream shadow in rsvp http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P181807 on upper lid in a shimmery color. i love benefit's eye bright to hide my sleepy eyes!

lips: tarte lip color i received in a sample package from sephora.

today, i put on my makeup and fixed my hair & needless to say, we were almost late for my son's basketball game.

AnnieW625
01-15-2012, 03:52 AM
I need recs for...

a good mascara, preferably in a brown tone.
Eye shadow in pink, purple or natural tones.
Blush
Some sort of light foundation or powder. I have pale skin and as most irish girls tend to have a lot of red in my face.
I suppose I should get a lipstick but always have trouble finding one I feel comfortable in. Any tips on how to find the right shade would be nice.

*Mascara, I have long lashes and use a Sheseido eye lash curler and like Clinique's High Impact mascara. I get it in black brown; not sure if they have a brown. A good drug store mascara is L'Oreal Extra Volume Collagen mascara is nice; that may or may not have a true brown. Unfortunately lots of mascara companies don't have a true brown mascara.

*Eyeshadow: For the colors you want I suggest Merle Norman. They make some great colors that last all day. Not sure if they are still made but I love Shell, Tea Rose, and Blackberry. If you don't have a Merle Norman near you I think Laura Mercier or Lancôme would be a good bet. Lots of people love MAC, but there eye shadows don't last on me at all even with primer. It stinks because they have great colors. Stila also makes a great shadow too, but you might have a hard time finding true neutral colors. Also I firmly believe that eye shadow should not be applied without a eyeshadow brush. Merle Norman makes my favorite, but Sonia Kashuk (Target) also makes some nice ones.

*Blush: MAC, they have great colors. My favorite blushes from them are Blush Baby, and Amberling. My mom really likes Desert Rose. Again a nice blush brush is a must; Trish Mc Evoy's #37 is great, but if $50 is out if the question Sonia Kashuk's is nice too.

*Foundation: Clinique or MAC; they have the best color selections. Right now I am really happy with Clinque's Suoerbalanced Mineral powder foundation. I also did get a sample of Lancôme Tient Idole and I really like it for a liquid foundation.

*Lipstick: Chanel is my favorite, but they change colors a little too often for my taste, plus it is $30, but IMHO it is worth every penny. I also really like Clinique, and MAC though; both are about $15 so much more reasonable. Not a fan of Clinique's Black Honey at all, but at least in the US Clinique just re released a whole bunch of their Almost Lipsticks in different colors like they used to have before they just had Black Hiney. I just bought some but haven't tried them yet, but when I used them before I loved them.

*Online shopping: I find it is hard to online shop unless you know what you like already. I would not online shop for foundation at all because you definitely want to be color matched by a makeup artist first and I would also go as far as to ask for samples of a couple of different kinds of foundations and see how you like each one. Once you have your core list of products both MAC, and Clinique offer free shipping pretty regularly, and Clinique often does free samples or extra bonuses.

roseyloxs
01-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Thank you so much ladies. You have given me a lot to research. I am glad to see Full and soft mascara get a few recs. That's the last one I used last and it worked pretty well for me. I should probably see what the on base exchange store has available but their prices tend to be ridiculous. I'll be back in Chicago in March so I can check out a Sephora or MAC counter then. Thanks again ladies!