PDA

View Full Version : How do you make your house smell amazing?

mjs64
01-14-2012, 04:11 PM
I have a sort of mysterious friend whose home always smells, well, amazing. She won't share her secret. I'm not about to burn incense or anything with an 11 month old around. And I don't know about cheesy air fresheners--or maybe they're not cheesy anymore? Do you use scented oils, etc? How do you do it?

nicepersonfl
01-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I have a sort of mysterious friend whose home always smells, well, amazing. She won't share her secret. I'm not about to burn incense or anything with an 11 month old around. And I don't know about cheesy air fresheners--or maybe they're not cheesy anymore? Do you use scented oils, etc? How do you do it?

SCENTSY!!! My friend sells it! Message me if you want her web address!

MMMommy
01-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Why won't she share her secret? That doesn't seem very nice!

California
01-14-2012, 04:58 PM
A Scentsy salesperson told me the wax melts at such a low temp that it won't burn skin if a kid touches it. Haven't tested it myself though. I don't know if Scentsy works by coating the inside of the nose. Anyone know? That's bow air fresheners work so I don't use them.

mjs64
01-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Why won't she share her secret? That doesn't seem very nice!

She's mysterious!

DietCokeLover
01-14-2012, 05:01 PM
A Scentsy salesperson told me the wax melts at such a low temp that it won't burn skin if a kid touches it. Haven't tested it myself though. I don't know if Scentsy works by coating the inside of the nose. Anyone know? That's bow air fresheners work so I don't use them.

I have the knock off version from Walmart. DS spilled it on himself yesterday. No burns. He didn't even really make a sound other than to say uh-oh.

wellyes
01-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Beat her, just bake some bread.

nicepersonfl
01-14-2012, 05:37 PM

yes, Scentsy melts at a low temp & it's food grade...no coating the nose because the only thing that's released is the scent from the oil in the wax

The walmart wax & other knock offs are not food grade & humans/pets can get sick from accidentally ingesting.

JamiMac
01-14-2012, 05:46 PM
yes, Scentsy melts at a low temp & it's food grade...no coating the nose because the only thing that's released is the scent from the oil in the wax

The walmart wax & other knock offs are not food grade & humans/pets can get sick from accidentally ingesting.

Actually, the Better Homes and Gardens at Wal-Mart and ones sold by Hobby Lobby are made by Scentsationals and are made of food grade materials, just like Scentsy. I used to sell Scentsy a long time ago, btw.

lalasmama
01-14-2012, 08:35 PM
We do Party Lite Scent Plus melts. DD thinks it's great fun to stick her fingers in the warmed and touch the wax. It's food grade. We're on our 4th square, I think, and we've had it going continually since Christmas.

FWIW, I won't volunteer my scent, but when someone asks, I always tell them :) In part because they can't steal it (my scent has been discontinued and I've stock-piled it!). ... And it makes me happy to hear that my house smells good!

Melaine
01-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Ok, I swore off all air fresheners years ago for health reasons so I hadn't even thought for a second about all of the scentsy hub-bub. Ya'll are intriguing me...if it is really safe I might change my tune.

As for me, baking something delicious has double benefits. Since I have been pregnant I have indulged even more!

I think it is kind of weird that your friend won't share the secret...

brittone2
01-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Ok, I swore off all air fresheners years ago for health reasons so I hadn't even thought for a second about all of the scentsy hub-bub. Ya'll are intriguing me...if it is really safe I might change my tune.

As for me, baking something delicious has double benefits. Since I have been pregnant I have indulged even more!

Food grade wax but you are still dealing with synthetic fragrances if that's a concern for you.

infomama
01-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Scentsy kills me and I used to be able to tolerate every scented whatever. I am still on the hunt. I'm thinking Root candles are my answer.
www.rootcandles.com

AngelaS
01-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Scentsy is amazing! I love it and use it to cover up the big dog smell I'd have otherwise. :P

I've also had Swan Creek candles and they smelled yummy!

infomama
01-14-2012, 11:14 PM
(my scent has been discontinued and I've stock-piled it!).

Am I the only one that thought of "The Sponge" Seinfeld episode?

lalasmama
01-15-2012, 12:11 AM

:bag Ohhh, so didn't think about it like that! But I suppose it's true, LOL!

I use 2 Iced Snowberries with 1 pomegranate melt. Yummy!

scrooks
01-15-2012, 12:15 AM

:hysterical:

MelissaTC
01-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Another Scentsy fan. I am so hooked.

mjs64
01-15-2012, 12:58 AM

It's just her thing. Like a chef refusing to reveal secret ingredients. She's always been like this. You ask her a question and she gives you a grin and changes the subject. I actually kind of love it about her.

Anyhow, tell me about scentsy. Can you only get it through individual sellers? What kinds of scents do you all like?

jellibeans
01-15-2012, 01:06 AM
I'm thinking Root candles are my answer.
www.rootcandles.com
I love Root candles! Also Tyler candles smell good!

bandgsmama
01-15-2012, 01:18 AM
i burn essential oils in an oil warmer throughout the day... sometimes grapefruit, lavender, peppermint - just depending on my mood.

AngelaS
01-15-2012, 10:02 AM
I think you can buy it online, or thru a local dealer. I love mocha doodle, cinnamon bear, and Irish cream. Hazelnut is fab too. I have allergies so I have to be careful which ones I melt. The dealers have allllll the scents and there are over 80 to choose from.

nicepersonfl
01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Anyhow, tell me about scentsy. Can you only get it through individual sellers? What kinds of scents do you all like?

You can get it through individual consultants...the best part though is that most consultants have a personal website! You can order there & have it delivered to your home!

Melaine
01-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Food grade wax but you are still dealing with synthetic fragrances if that's a concern for you.

Hmmm.....probably is. I don't know...I would really like it if our house didn't usually smell faintly of dog.

Gracemom
01-15-2012, 10:15 AM
A friend of mine uses Anthropologie candles, in Volcano scent: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=39076&catId=HOME-CANDLE&pushId=HOME-CANDLE&popId=HOME&navCount=14&color=vol&isProduct=true&fromCategoryPage=true&isSubcategory=true&subCategoryId=HOME-CANDLE-CANDLES
Her house always smells amazing. I have resisted because of the price but I love the smell - not overpowering and very fresh. I'm going to get one this week!

elbenn
01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Okay, I just read the reviews on the volcano candle and now I want one! But I really don't want to pay $28 for a candle. I wonder if they ever go on sale?

kaitlyns.mom
01-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Okay, I just read the reviews on the volcano candle and now I want one! But I really don't want to pay $28 for a candle. I wonder if they ever go on sale?

:yeahthat: They make that candle seem like magic. Now I want one! :rotflmao:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-15-2012, 02:50 PM
We use Mia Rose air freshener. Citrus essential oils, USDA approved nothing synthetic. A bottle lasts forever. It isn't a long lasting freshener, but it is great for bathrooms and dog smells! http://www.miarose.com/

Scentsy as far as I can tell does NOT use essential oils, phalate or formaldehyde free fragrance, etc.so I don't risk it.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
01-15-2012, 02:53 PM
A friend of mine uses Anthropologie candles, in Volcano scent: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=39076&catId=HOME-CANDLE&pushId=HOME-CANDLE&popId=HOME&navCount=14&color=vol&isProduct=true&fromCategoryPage=true&isSubcategory=true&subCategoryId=HOME-CANDLE-CANDLES
Her house always smells amazing. I have resisted because of the price but I love the smell - not overpowering and very fresh. I'm going to get one this week!

These are so amazing!!!

edurnemk
01-15-2012, 02:54 PM
I avoid artificial fragrances at all costs, so what I do is keep a small bowl with baking soda (absorbs yucky odors) and put a few drops of the natural essential
oil of my choosing (depends on my mood).

I also do this, or light soy candles scented with natural oils, but when I light them I put them somewhere DS can't touch it (i.e. high shelf).:

i burn essential oils in an oil warmer throughout the day... sometimes grapefruit, lavender, peppermint - just depending on my mood.

nicepersonfl
01-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Scentsy as far as I can tell does NOT use essential oils, phalate or formaldehyde free fragrance, etc.so I don't risk it.

I was concerned about this myself, so I emailed Scentsy. Their response was that they DO use natural and synthetic essential oils, but none of the synthetics have phalates or formaldehyde. All are safe in case of accidental ingestion.

Corie
01-15-2012, 04:43 PM

My son and I smelled the Volcano candle and we think it smells like
kool-aid fruit punch. He loved it!

MommyofAmaya
01-15-2012, 04:49 PM
We got a small votive candle from Orleans Candle Co. as a gift for Xmas. It is the most decadent candle I have ever smelled. Just the empty box fills the room with aroma. They come in the flavors of New Orleans, including Beignet and Praline.

karstmama
01-15-2012, 08:29 PM
i like b&bw wallflowers. balsam, cinnamon, lavender, warm vanilla sugar...

i'm not really sensitive, so it doesn't bother me if they're synthetic, which they probably are.

Elilly
01-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Trapp Candle in Bob's Flower Shoppe scent. Hopefully I get one for Valentine's Day as the one by my bedside is getting rather low.

m448
01-15-2012, 10:14 PM
I was hooked on those effusion lamps a while back but wasn't fond of the synthetic scents as I transitioned away from pthlalathes so I researched a bit on making your own. Basically it's 90%isopropyl alcohol to which fragrances are added. One day I tried the plain alcohol alone and believe it or not it clears the house of food smells, pet smells and funkified-kid-smells in about an hour. Love the stuff and I have about 3 lamps for our home.

They do get hot if a kid were to touch the little wick cover but there's no flame and I keep them out of kid reach when I use them.

chiisai
01-16-2012, 09:22 AM
In the fall and winter I'll simmer a cinnamon stick and some allspice.

In the spring and summer, still looking!

And, I do love that Volcano candle! I picked one up as a gift. They have an orange one ("Peeled Naval Orange") that is also delicious, and I almost got it for myself but couldn't stomach the price.