PDA

View Full Version : Best place to shop around for lighting fixtures?

Jo..
01-14-2012, 04:45 PM
All kinds. We are building a new house and the builder recommended that we start looking for deals on lights we like now, as that is a great way to save money.

kellij
01-14-2012, 05:03 PM
There is a kohler showplace in OKC across from White Water. I went there to find some fixtures to match the existing ones in our house we got this summer (they didn't have handtowel holders anywhere!). Anyway, I had no idea that that type of place also had tons of different light fixtures. I tried looking online for lights at one point, but I hate to spend that type of $ without at least seeing it in person first. If you don't get to OKC between now and then, they probably have a similar store in Tulsa.

Also, I was trying to find a chandelier for our dining room (ended up liking one from Lowe's), but I was also looking on CL. There were some designer ones on the Dallas CL that were really cool. Speaking of designer ones, I think you can see those at furniture stores.

I think people also get lighting fixtures at Home Builder supply-type stores.

Ms B
01-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Historically, the New York City lighting district was on the Bowery (along with a lot of Chinese restaurants). Gentrification has made the real estate there a lot more expensive and forced a lot of those stores online, which is good news when you are shopping because their pricing tends to be superior than what you can get in the rest of the country.

When we were replacing our bedroom ceiling fan, we found the best prices at lightingbygregory.com. The fan we bought was over $100 cheaper there than it was locally (even with our installer's discount).

We also found cool stuff at olampia.com. bowerylights.com is not on the Bowery, but they have a good selection as well.

Good luck!!

Jo..
01-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Historically, the New York City lighting district was on the Bowery (along with a lot of Chinese restaurants). Gentrification has made the real estate there a lot more expensive and forced a lot of those stores online, which is good news when you are shopping because their pricing tends to be superior than what you can get in the rest of the country.

When we were replacing our bedroom ceiling fan, we found the best prices at lightingbygregory.com. The fan we bought was over $100 cheaper there than it was locally (even with our installer's discount).

We also found cool stuff at olampia.com. bowerylights.com is not on the Bowery, but they have a good selection as well.

Good luck!!

This reminds me of a funny story. When I met DH (15 years ago), I was living in NYC and he was living in Kansas. He flew in for a visit and I acted as the tour guide, but I was woefully ignorant of the actual city (I lived in a suburb). I took him on a tour of what was supposed to be Chinatown, and somehow we missed it and saw hundreds of light stores. Hee hee.

That's good news about them being online. Thank you!

BeachBum
01-15-2012, 09:43 AM
FWIW- I think cheap fixtures often look cheap. Because it's a fixture--not something you will be changing out in a year or two make sure it is quality you are comfortable with.

In my experience, prices from the popular mainstream lighting companies will vary greatly depending on the source. So once you've chosen something you like it's definitely worth your time to price shop.

Some places I like to shop that are less mainstream are
circalighting (public site for visual comfort)
rejuvination
shadesoflight
schoolhouseelectric

elbenn
01-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Make sure you are on Home Depot's email list. They occasionally send out emails of online sales on lighting. I bought a very nice bronze chandelier for 75% on one of their sales and on that particular sale they had many beautiful fixtures for 66% to 75% off. Also, make sure you sign up for Home Depot's 10% off coupon for moving.

Deal Queen
01-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Overstock has tons! Good prices on all kinds of styles. We just built a home too...good luck.

elbenn
01-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Overstock has tons! Good prices on all kinds of styles. We just built a home too...good luck.

Get on their mailing list too! They just sent me a coupon for 20% off and it doesn't exclude lighting.

kristenk
01-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I've seen Groupons before for a few different (good) lighting stores in my area. You might want to keep an eye open for that.

mnosky1
01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
I recently needed a new outdoor fixture and long story short the local lighting store ghats terrible service and said it would take 4-6 weeks to come in so I looked online. I found it at lighting direct and I called them about shipping and finishes and they were way more helpful than the actual store, plus I found a discount code and used ebates which made it cheaper and found a matching piece the store didn't carry. The glass was cracked when it came but I didn't notice it for a while because that was one piece we weren't ready for and so I didn't let them know for almost a month and they sent a new one no problem.

Sopamanda
01-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Don't forget to check Garbe's clearance room...

MSWR0319
01-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Believe it or not, when we we building our house a couple years ago we hit the jackpot at Lowes. They had tons of nice looking lights, fans, etc on clearance. We get compliments on them all the time. They seem to do it fairly regularly but not sure when. Saved us a ton of money because they were on clearance, could use coppns, and didn't have to pay the builders markup. We just started our basement so I think we'll be heading there again soon and hope we luck out!

3isEnough
01-16-2012, 08:23 PM
FWIW- I think cheap fixtures often look cheap. Because it's a fixture--not something you will be changing out in a year or two make sure it is quality you are comfortable with.

In my experience, prices from the popular mainstream lighting companies will vary greatly depending on the source. So once you've chosen something you like it's definitely worth your time to price shop.

Some places I like to shop that are less mainstream are
circalighting (public site for visual comfort)
rejuvination
shadesoflight
schoolhouseelectric

:yeahthat: I completely agree with everything above. I really notice high quality, nicely designed lighting (and faucets!) and think it can make or break a room.

Btw, I recently read on a designing blog that Shades of Light sells Visual Comfort lights, just renamed. I don't know if it's VC's entire line or just a few select lights, but I figured it's good to know since Shades of Light has coupons and discounts.

In addition to the above, I like Hudson Valley Lighting, Arteriors, Oly Design and Restoration Hardware. I would suggest disregarding prices for the time being and finding lights you love, then finding those lights, knockoffs or similar lights at affordable prices (CL, Ebay, whatever).

A few years ago my designer showed me an Oly light that was gorgeous but $2K-ish. And then she showed me that PB knocked it off and it was on sale for $300. Score :D PB and the like often do knockoffs of higher priced lighting.

blisstwins
01-16-2012, 08:51 PM
This is my favorite by far and away--made in the USA and wonderful customer service:
http://www.schoolhouseelectric.com/

sste
01-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Blisstwins, I was just going to post that link!! I love schoolhouse lighting - - I have never owned it though just drooled over it.

I noticed a very nice sale section on the website. :)

kcimato
01-17-2012, 05:21 PM
My sister and I love www.bellacor.com They have everything and if you don't like it they will take it back. Their customer service is wonderful.

I have gotten fixtures for my dining room, foyer and 2 bathrooms from them. I only look in the clearance section and have gotten them about half price. I don't allow myself to look at their other full price lights. It takes a bit of time and checking but it's worth it. I only buy if I love it.

blisstwins
01-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Blisstwins, I was just going to post that link!! I love schoolhouse lighting - - I have never owned it though just drooled over it.

I noticed a very nice sale section on the website.

School is really not that expensive for what you get and the customer service is amazing. I live in an old building and over the years the fixtures got changed to inexpensive, builder's fixtures that are not period appropriate. Over the last 5 years I have been changing out the lighting in the apartments to be period appropriate and you should hear the feedback we get--changes everything. I never realized how powerful lighting fixtures could be in setting the mood and making a room look done/charming.I have really simple stuff from Schoolhouse and love it.

elbenn
01-22-2012, 01:40 PM
I just got an email from Home Depot about an overstock sale. There are lots of nice light fixtures for 50%-66% off. Check it out.

lucybabymamma
01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks for heads up about home depot! We are looking for fixtures too....

DebbieJ
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I also like www.lampsplus.com

3isEnough
01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
:yeahthat: I completely agree with everything above. I really notice high quality, nicely designed lighting (and faucets!) and think it can make or break a room.

Btw, I recently read on a designing blog that Shades of Light sells Visual Comfort lights, just renamed. I don't know if it's VC's entire line or just a few select lights, but I figured it's good to know since Shades of Light has coupons and discounts.

In addition to the above, I like Hudson Valley Lighting, Arteriors, Oly Design and Restoration Hardware. I would suggest disregarding prices for the time being and finding lights you love, then finding those lights, knockoffs or similar lights at affordable prices (CL, Ebay, whatever).

A few years ago my designer showed me an Oly light that was gorgeous but $2K-ish. And then she showed me that PB knocked it off and it was on sale for $300. Score :D PB and the like often do knockoffs of higher priced lighting.

I was just reading copycatchic.com and found two designer lights with their less-expensive knock-offs. See here http://www.copycatchic.com/2012/01/circa-lighting-vendome-chandelier.html and here http://www.copycatchic.com/2012/01/layla-grayce-regina-andrew-lighting.html.

I LOVE the beaded chandelier and only wish I had somewhere to put it! Btw, the copycatchic blog seems really great. I've only read it a little bit but hope to carve out some serious time tonight to read ;)

ETA: one more example http://www.copycatchic.com/2011/10/layla-grace-arteriors-reeves-antique.html

elbenn
01-29-2012, 03:49 PM
This may be the same sale that I posted about last week, but I just got an email from Home Depot about an overstock sale on lighting.

http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Products-Overstock-Event-Holiday-Overstocks-Overstock-Lighting/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc16i/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&omni=c_Overstock Lighting&searchNav=true

Some good deals, for example this chandelier for $90 (was $300):

http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Products-Overstock-Event-Holiday-Overstocks-Overstock-Lighting/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc16i/R-100002784/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Or this chandelier for $177 (was $353):

http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Products-Overstock-Event-Holiday-Overstocks-Overstock-Lighting/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc16i/R-100075720/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Jo..
02-15-2012, 12:32 AM

Looking right now, ty.

Jo..
02-15-2012, 12:35 AM

Good luck!!

Can't find a ceiling fan that I like at lightingbygregory for under $500. And we need 5 (as well as 4 chandeliers, 6 bath sconce fixtures, 3 pendant lights. 8 flush mount lights, 8 outdoor lights, etc).

We are trying to keep the lighting budget under 3k (not including cans), and the ceiling fans would blow the whole budget. They are PRICEY. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Jo..
02-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Don't forget to check Garbe's clearance room...

THANK YOU. Just found them online (never heard of them). GREAT DEALS