PDA

View Full Version : Joining the cloth diaper fray! Kawaii dipes?

mctlaw
01-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Well, I was planning to use cloth wipes, but really had no intention to cloth diaper since DS 2 will be our last child and I didn't think the cost and trouble would be worth it...

However, a mom on my local swap board was selling a pocket diaper called Kawaii. I researched them and the reviews are mostly good. She had not used most of them at all and said she just got overwhelmed. I bought 12 diapers for 4.50 each. The price of the diaper new is actually not bad on these - 9-11, with some sale priced at $7.

Anyone hear of these? I did a search and there is nothing on the board. I feel like I got a good deal, I picked them up today, they are beautiful, seem to be well made, and as promised, appear to be mostly never used.

I am figuring I will use sposies on my newborn and then try these out when he gets to the right size. I am not going to buy any equipment other than a basic pail until I know if I will stick with this. Thoughts/advice? Hopefully I didn't mess up! :)

Melaine
01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
I have also heard mostly good things about this brand. You can look it up on diaperswappers.com for lots more info. I am still in research mode but am looking at some of the other cheap ones too; sunbaby is on my radar right now.

daisymommy
01-15-2012, 09:45 AM
I've never tried them, but for many moms on Diaperswappers, that is their all-time favorite diaper.

Normally I would advise against buying 12 of a diaper without trying it out first, but for that price, for a dozen hardly used dipes, I'd say that was a bargain! You could always sell them, and get all your money back on Diaperswappers if you didn't end up liking them, since they are well liked over there.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mctlaw
01-15-2012, 12:50 PM
So happy to hear that I made a good pick! Now, off to figure out things like washing, etc. :D

roseyloxs
01-15-2012, 02:26 PM
A friend bought a few at full price. They worked well but weren't her favorite. She felt they were bulkier then some others in her stash. No complaints about leaking though which is all that really matters.

mikala
01-15-2012, 10:02 PM
I am figuring I will use sposies on my newborn and then try these out when he gets to the right size. I am not going to buy any equipment other than a basic pail until I know if I will stick with this. Thoughts/advice? Hopefully I didn't mess up! :)

Good luck! It sounds a little counter intuitive but you may want to just stick to a regular kitchen sized flip top garbage pail and plastic bag liner initially instead of investing in a full sized wetbag. If you decide to stick with it you can then pick up a washable wet bag.

If you plan on using the diapers outside the house at all a smaller wetbag is a really nice thing to have and can double as a carrier for soiled clothes or swimsuits later on.

The wet/dry Planetwise (http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Wet-Dry-Diaper/dp/B004Q316RI/ref=sr_1_5?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1326679169&sr=1-5) is my current favorite for out of the house. You can stash a couple clean diapers/wipes/balm on one side and then put the dirties in the wet side as they accumulate. The plain wet bags are also nice and a couple dollars cheaper.

Let us know if you need any help with detergents/wash routine info.

AnnieW625
01-16-2012, 09:53 PM
We have this basic diaper pail (http://www.clothdiaper.com/PRODUCTS/Diaper-Pails-Accessories/Cloth-Diaper-Pail) that we got from the diaper service and we use a Planet Wise liner (http://www.clothdiaper.com/PRODUCTS/Diaper-Pails-Accessories/Planet-Wise-Diaper-Pail-Liner) that we wash with all of the diapers. Some people get two so they always have one ready to go. We use Charlie's Soap to wash, and Bac Out to pre treat. We have always just used plastic bags as wet bags.

mctlaw
01-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks! I do have a sort of specific question...let me know what you think or BTDT:

Everything I have read re: washing cloth dipes recommends a couple cycles including a hot cycle in the machine.

The Kawaii care instructions state that only the inserts may be washed at a high temperature, and that the covers should not be washed in a temp. exceeding 98 degrees.

Is this even sanitary? Do people disregard and just wash on hot?

mikala
01-17-2012, 12:01 AM
From what I've read it's generally okay to use the "hot" setting but not a special hot sanitary setting. Excessive heat can separate the waterproof layers of the cover and ruin the diapers.

While cloth diapers will never be as "sanitary" as bleached disposables encased in plastic our diapers seem as clean as all other laundry after our cloth diaper wash sequence and air drying. The combination of soap, water and friction removes the nasty stuff. I think of it as similar to washing my hands with soap and warm water instead of soap and scalding water. The scalding water might be a little more effective but the damage isn't worth it and my hands are clean after the warm water wash.

daisymommy
01-17-2012, 06:50 PM
yeah that to what mikala said :)

Wash in hot--but not the "sanitary/boiling" cycle that many new machines have now.

My tried and true routine for everything is:
-rinse and spin (no detergent). Just gets alot of the urine out.
-long hot wash, with 1/2 the normal amount of detergent.
-extra rinse.

Everything gets tossed in the dryer.

mctlaw
01-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Great, thanks Mikala and Daisymommy...I am going to give it a whirl your way :)