PDA

View Full Version : Please share your master bedroom color scheme

ourbabygirl
01-14-2012, 05:52 PM
We just got all new carpet :yay:, and of course now the color change has necessitated some redecorating (or at least color updating) in our master bedroom. We went from kind of an ugly greyish-cream (though the carpet guy called it white) to now kind of a carmel-y color (not that yellow/ orange, but just a pretty beige- it's called 'praline').

Currently our walls are just cream (but they're too blah- they blend in with the white ceiling too much), our wood furniture is kind of a dark cherry, wood trim, window blinds, and ceiling fan are kind of an oak color. The bedspread is a light paisley gold duvet (Thomas O'Brien from Target about 4 years ago, I think), with some plum colored accents (blanket, candle, a painting). But mostly the room is cream, a little bit of gold, and black (pillows, picture frames, etc.)

Not sure which direction to go in... I want something luxurious but not too hard to take care of (so probably not a cream or white comforter/ bedspread)- our long-haired grey cat also sleeps with us ;), and we have a 1 and a 3 year old, so I need something darker, or preferably with pattern so we can pull a color out of it to repaint the walls.

Care to share your bedroom color palette? I want something not too feminine, not too tropical/ beachy, etc. I don't usually do much with greens or blues (not totally my style), but tend to decorate a lot with yellows, browns, and terra cotta... unfortunately, the house has become too brown/ beige!

Can you think of any cool color combinations that would work well with 'praline' colored carpet? It's very plush, if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much!

Cam&Clay
01-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Currently the walls are off-white, the carpet is beige, and the theme is complete and utter chaos.

We seriously need to do something about that room, so I'll be paying attention to this thread.

sntm
01-14-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm redecorating, but the bedding is currently white and a dusty lavender with silver accents. I'm putting up some white textured wallpaper and looking for a new bedspread in the same color family. I also have a vintage pleather mauvey pink Hollywood Regency arm chair to work around. The style and fabrics are otherwise plain and strong, to balance the girl colors :_

hillview
01-14-2012, 08:26 PM
walls are a silvery grey and light green. we really like it

flashy09
01-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Behr Raging Sea, dark wood bed, cream sheepskin rug

maylips
01-14-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm not a big blue or green person either, but we have this (http://www.potterybarn.com/products/blythe-paisley-organic-sateen-duvet-cover-sham/?pkey=cpatterned-duvet-covers-shams) duvet and, while there is some blue (and even green) in it, there's enough neutral to balance it out (IMO). We have a brown dog that sleeps in our bed and the duvet hides imperfections and still looks nice.

We just moved to a new-to-us house last year and amazingly, the silvery-gray on the walls went perfectly with the bedding (which again, if you look at the bedding, you wouldn't assume that). But the wall color is awesome and I wish I could put a picture up that you could see it. It's silver, and really does shimmer - not sure what brand/finish is on it. In different lights it takes on a different color - some blueish, some minty-ish, even, but it always looks elegant. The former homeowner also left silk curtains that matched as well - they are a silvery blue at the top until about 3/4 down, then have a gold silk on the bottom.

It's very hard to describe and I never would have put all of that together but I was thrilled when I put our already-owned duvet on the bed and saw how it all went together. Now the bedroom is one of my favorite rooms of the house and I really think it's all because there is just enough muted colors in there to make it feel warm, yet peaceful.

Now, if only someone would come make my bed each day.....

dec756
01-14-2012, 10:16 PM
white walls (we rent) dark brown wood furniture, tans, and blacks. so mostly black and brown but think of that to be in the lightest sense.

marymoo86
01-14-2012, 10:18 PM
walls are a camel/gold color with antique white trim - floors are a medium dark hardwood - the curtains are a blue/gold stripe and the bedding is a navy/gold/steel blue paisley

WatchingThemGrow
01-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Walls are SW dover white (creamy beige) with white trim, blackishbrown furniture, white sheets and this "slate" coverlet (http://www.thecompanystore.com/Alcott-Matelass%C3%A9/c244-ps,default,pd.html?start=10&q=matalasse)/pillows/etc from TCS.

lalasmama
01-14-2012, 11:07 PM
My master bedroom is currently black/white/grey with black and white furniture.

As far as some random color accents, I have hot pink and teal sheets that I alternate, so there may be pink or teal pillows.... Otherwise, that's about it for color. But I like how put together it looks at the moment. For what it's worth, it totally clashes with our brown-shades-of-commercial-pile-carpet.

In the past, I've done a black/tan/brown palate (that didn't match the carpet at the house where I was at the time, LOL), and a white and shades-of-blue. I loved the blue shades one. It was a huge mix-n-match, but it worked well!

Sorry, I'm not much help. I ignore carpet colors, and wall colors are easy to change.

newg
01-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Our quilt is a blue-gray color with hints of green. The pattern is vines and flowers, but not girly at all. Our walls are a blue-gray, pulled from the comforter. We have dark blue curtains (again, pulled from the quilt).
Our furniture is dark cherry. I love the colors.....very calm and peaceful......if you just overlook the massive mess in the room ;)

fauve01
01-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Our walls are a soothing light sage-y green which i LOVE. our carpet is a horrible beige, but we are going to switch to hardwood when we have some $$. i think we will get a darker stain wood, but we're not there yet, so who knows. our bedside tables are dark wood. we still have to get a headboard, and i want something TALL, either upsholstered chocolate colored, or dark wood, simple.

Bedding--chocolate sheets from Ikea, duvet from ikea. I like the pattern on the duvet, not too girly, sort of modern. Silk cream euro shams and coverlet from PB. the silk coverlet and shams were a total splurge and i thought i was nuts to get cream, but i LOVE them every day.

I haven't figured out what to do about a bedskirt. it'll happen someday. sigh.

ETA: forgot to say we also just hung sheers and along with chocolate blackout drapes. LOVE.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2vc9tvn.jpg

Twoboos
01-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Light tan, kinda goldish carpet. Light walls, creamy beige that might be either BM Monroe Bisque or Papaya. (the house is new to us, so I'm guessing from paint cans found in the basement!) Furniture is more brown than cherry.

Deep red duvet cover and euro shams, with handmade quilt and standard shams in blues, reds, and beiges. I got the duvet cover and euro shams from Lands End a while ago.... maybe 8 or 9 years.

I love the red, it pops. We need new window treatments, this house has another window in the master so we don't have enough and they are discontinued.

Eta, we also have this print and I LOVE it, the colors are perfect.
http://home-decor.hsn.com/ballard-designs-weekend-at-the-cape-giclee-print_p-4367986_xp.aspx

MommytoEliana
01-14-2012, 11:56 PM
We have golden oak furniture (would love something different, but oh well), this white bedding (http://www.potterybarn.com/products/valerie-floral-metalasse-duvet-cover-sham/?pkey=csolid-duvet-covers-shams), nondescript light carpet, dark blue walls, and white sheers. I like our bedding set, but now I'm lusting after this one: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/colette-vine-paisley-duvet-cover-sham-cool/?pkey=cpatterned-duvet-covers-shams

And actually, reading your description of your room, I think the current object of my desire might work well for you. It would tie in beautifully with your carpet. However, it does have a blue-green palette, which you said isn't really your style.

Good luck!

lcarlson90
01-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Our master bedroom has cream carpet and we have light mocha walls. We have ivory silk drapes and our accents are light blue. Our duvet cover is ivory with a blue and sage green paisley pattern.

kaitlyns.mom
01-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Our walls are a soothing light sage-y green which i LOVE. our carpet is a horrible beige, but we are going to switch to hardwood when we have some $$. i think we will get a darker stain wood, but we're not there yet, so who knows. our bedside tables are dark wood. we still have to get a headboard, and i want something TALL, either upsholstered chocolate colored, or dark wood, simple.

Bedding--chocolate sheets from Ikea, duvet from ikea. I like the pattern on the duvet, not too girly, sort of modern. Silk cream euro shams and coverlet from PB. the silk coverlet and shams were a total splurge and i thought i was nuts to get cream, but i LOVE them every day.

I haven't figured out what to do about a bedskirt. it'll happen someday. sigh.

ETA: forgot to say we also just hung sheers and along with chocolate blackout drapes. LOVE.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2vc9tvn.jpg
Love your bedding! With a headboard that is going to look amazing.

We have done no decorating in the BR. Medium wood floors, ivory walls with awful yellow trim (renting), black dresser and bookcase, and we recently bought a new duvet in charcoal gray sateen stripes. I like the gray but it's kind of boring and I have no idea how to make the room look more soothing and also sophisticated.

MontrealMum
01-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Our bdrm has lemon yellow walls, white moldings and ceiling, and blond hardwood floors - no carpeting. The yellow was chosen to match the stained glass in the windows (they're green, yellow, and clear). as it's a Victorian era home. The curtains are navy with white sheers behind (from our previous house) which look nice with the two wingback chairs we brought from our rental (also navy, with a floral design). We thought we'd change the curtains after we settled in but we've decided it's a nice combo and it makes us feel Swedish :) Also, the bdrm. gets a lot of morning sun and needs dark draperies to block that if anyone is going to have a hope of sleeping late (in a perfect world with no kids, LOL!) Fixtures and frames are a matte silver. We have a variety of different comforter covers in a blue/green/white palette that we use on our duvet.

We've gone a lot bolder here than we did in our previous home which was mostly muted colors, and we're really happy with it.

kaitlyns.mom
01-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Our bdrm has lemon yellow walls, white moldings and ceiling, and blond hardwood floors - no carpeting. The yellow was chosen to match the stained glass in the windows (they're green, yellow, and clear). as it's a Victorian era home. The curtains are navy with white sheers behind (from our previous house) which look nice with the two wingback chairs we brought from our rental (also navy, with a floral design). We thought we'd change the curtains after we settled in but we've decided it's a nice combo and it makes us feel Swedish :) Also, the bdrm. gets a lot of morning sun and needs dark draperies to block that if anyone is going to have a hope of sleeping late (in a perfect world with no kids, LOL!) Fixtures and frames are a matte silver. We have a variety of different comforter covers in a blue/green/white palette that we use on our duvet.

We've gone a lot bolder here than we did in our previous home which was mostly muted colors, and we're really happy with it.
This sounds so pretty! I would love to see some pics if you'd be willing to share. :loveeyes:

MontrealMum
01-15-2012, 01:32 AM
I will try to hunt some up :) but our home is a disaster area of Christmas detritus right now so I don't think I'm going to be taking any new ones! And can I say...I love your bedding - very peaceful looking!

MontrealMum
01-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Here goes. I finally found the pictures we took of the house before we moved in. They show the color but not the mess ;)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6718726855_3c32235bc6_m.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6718726531_d72b7611ab_m.jpg

anamika
01-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Here goes. I finally found the pictures we took of the house before we moved in. They show the color but not the mess ;)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6718726855_3c32235bc6_m.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6718726531_d72b7611ab_m.jpg

Hey, we have the same exact color on our BR walls. DO you know the paint color? We need to touch up some walls and cannot figure out the color. It was this color when we moved in.
eta - what color bed, sheets etc do you have? I'm having a hard time figuring out what works with this yellow but we're too lazy/busy to paint all over.

Mommy_Mea
01-18-2012, 09:33 AM
We have a lemony-green/terra cotta color scheme in our mbr. Our bedset is white and "bamboo", which is a lemony-green color:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hotel-Collection-Palazzo-Bamboo-Euro-Sham-/200581526686?pt=US_Pillow_Shams&hash=item2eb397349e#ht_500wt_1127

We bought this rug to go with it, which has the green color, but also many other shades of green, as well as terra cotta/orange:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-tufted-Camelot-Beige-Wool-Rug-8-x-11/2647329/product.html

Our curtains are a more grassy green, and we plan on doing the walls with a similar color. Right now they are yellow, and it looks awful with the color of our bedset. I am also tempted to do a terra cotta color on the wall, but it may match our hardwood floor color a little too much...

I love the combination of a warm color and a cool color, I think they balance themselves nicely!

wendibird22
01-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Our master is taupe berber carpet, medium blue walls, and dark furniture. Our bedding is chocolate brown with a "quilt" that's different shades of taupe. I say "quilt" because while it is quilted in a traditional sense, it's wide strips of horizontal fabric and not lots of pieces so it doesn't look like a typical country quilt. We aren't blue people but find the room to be very tranquil.

Our room is similar to this but our blue walls are a bit darker:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/217529_10150150570792029_565622028_6870693_7752306 _n.jpg

boolady
01-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Our master is a medium tan? beige?-- the color it was painted when we moved in, with antique white mouldings and hardwood floors. Our furniture set is a medium brown and we're using our duvet cover/sham set from our old house, which is a darkish red with a not very heavy floral pattern on it. When we first moved in, I wanted to paint the bedroom, and am still not sure whether we will or not, as DH really likes the tan. It's fine, as it's totally neutral. I am on the lookout for a new bedding set, though, just to change things up a bit.

babychi
01-18-2012, 10:39 AM
We just built a new house and ur walls are called "Macadamia", a darkish tan. We have espresso wood furniture and platform bed with cream colored quilt and linens. Our accessory pillows are steel blue and all other accents are silver. It's soothing and we like it, though I may decide to repaint our walls this summer in a blueish-green color like we previously had.

MontrealMum
01-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Hey, we have the same exact color on our BR walls. DO you know the paint color? We need to touch up some walls and cannot figure out the color. It was this color when we moved in.
eta - what color bed, sheets etc do you have? I'm having a hard time figuring out what works with this yellow but we're too lazy/busy to paint all over.

IIRC, the color is bicycle yellow by Behr. I've never seen a yellow bicycle, so the name has stuck in my mind! It's much brighter on the walls than it looks on the Behr site - which to me looks much more like butter yellow, not lemon. Must be the monitor. With the white ceiling and SW-facing windows sometimes I feel like I'm lying inside an egg in the morning :tongue5:

We have a duvet and use two main comforter covers on it in blue tones along with matching shams. I can't find them on the Ikea site anymore :( But one is sort of a Wedgewood blue with a white floral pattern, and the other is white with abstract watercolor flowers in blues and greens on it. We have this dresser (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00067830/#/40180551) in blue. So, we're sort of doing the Swedish thing with blue and yellow together. In the summer we have a shabby-chic type of quilt that's a mix of lavender, pale yellow, white, and mint green. DH thinks it's too girly but it looks nice with the walls. All the fixtures and picture frames are silver.