PDA

View Full Version : Need help with dining room paint!

Mamma2004
01-14-2012, 06:24 PM
We live in an antique house (read: "old"!) and for myriad reasons, we are suddenly redoing our dining room. We are tearing down the walls to update the electical, add some insulaton and put up new plaster. The rest of the house is getting done, little by little, but this is a big project that we're tackling rather unexpectedly - and BEFORE a kitchen remodel. [This means that whatever choices we make will undoubtedly influence our kitchen remodel when we can afford it in a few more years.]

We gravitate toward terracotta and that "Old World" feel. Our china is a warm cream with navy and gold border.
Our current rug has navy, gold, terracotta, sage, cream, Wedgewood blue, etc. We find that most colors seem to work with the rug, though it will also be replaced years down the road. Our dining room chairs WILL be recovered following this project, so I'll also be seeking great fabric (that should be another post!).

I am looking for inspiration and decided to turn to the BBB community first! I'd appreciate any photos, links or words of advice. Thanks so much!

kcimato
01-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I would go over to the garden web site and post your question there. They have a kitchen forum and people have great ideas and post pictures of their remodeled kitchens. It may give you some inspiration.

Www.thathomesite.com

maylips
01-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Find fabric for the chairs before you decide on the paint!

You can get any color in the world in paint but trying to find a fabric that matches the paint seems to become impossible if you choose the paint first (at least that's what has happened to me).

As an aside, if you want to do the same paint in your DR that you'll eventually also put in your kitchen but want to change it up a little, I would suggest doing stripes in the DR with the same color; just do one stripe a flat paint and one a semi-gloss/gloss paint. The look is very classy and ties the two rooms together nicely. It's amazing how the stripes come out, when the only difference is the type of paint rather than the color.

BeachBum
01-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Find fabric for the chairs before you decide on the paint!

You can get any color in the world in paint but trying to find a fabric that matches the paint seems to become impossible if you choose the paint first (at least that's what has happened to me).

Yup. I totally agree. Go browse around at a fabric store...even if you don't use a specific fabric you will get inspired!

SnuggleBuggles
01-15-2012, 07:09 PM
I painted my DRM terra cotta and we have an ivory plate rail and built in cabinet. I adore the color in there. It is a Benjamin Moore paint.

Mamma2004
01-15-2012, 08:39 PM
I painted my DRM terra cotta and we have an ivory plate rail and built in cabinet. I adore the color in there. It is a Benjamin Moore paint.

I would love to see photos of your dining room, Beth! Any idea which BM paint it is? Even DH is curious, especially since you said "terra cotta", "ivory" and "built-in cabinet"!!!

Mopey
01-15-2012, 08:48 PM
I agree terracotta sounds good with the scheme you have. My mom is a decorative painter and the best advice I have heard from her myriad of fab decorators is to make sure colors make people look good! Like green - not a great color in low light, and doesn't make many people look great. On the other hand, everyone looks great near some kind of pink (like blush, even guys!).

Good luck and have fun (and YES - try to pick fabric first! maybe a cream & navy print to hide any food stains should people spill?)

:)

SnuggleBuggles
01-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I would love to see photos of your dining room, Beth! Any idea which BM paint it is? Even DH is curious, especially since you said "terra cotta", "ivory" and "built-in cabinet"!!!

Copper Mountain

Mamma2004
01-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Beth, I love the color(s)!!! The paint and trim look remarkably like our master bathroom. Since no guests would necessarily KNOW what our bathroom looks like, I am not opposed to using similar colors in the DR. I find them peaceful, harmonious and quite pleasant with our china (if that even matters).

Thanks so much!

Mamma2004
01-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I agree terracotta sounds good with the scheme you have. My mom is a decorative painter and the best advice I have heard from her myriad of fab decorators is to make sure colors make people look good! Like green - not a great color in low light, and doesn't make many people look great. On the other hand, everyone looks great near some kind of pink (like blush, even guys!).

Good luck and have fun (and YES - try to pick fabric first! maybe a cream & navy print to hide any food stains should people spill?)

:)

Funny, I have been worried about the chair fabric for that reason! I also imagine we should think about window treatments. Hmmm.
Glad to hear that terra cotta is not considered harsh or unflattering. We just love it! It feels so natural.

Thanks again!