PDA

View Full Version : What's the big whoop about North Face

infomama
01-14-2012, 11:43 PM
I always saw these coats as a status symbol but I have been reading that they are seriously warm which interests me. I have a really warm EB jacket that you couldn't pry out of my hands..it NF really all that?

cono0507
01-15-2012, 12:05 AM
TNF made a change in focus in the late 90s-2000s and now sell in more mainstream retailers where you generally won't find many of the other brands of quality outdoors gear (Patagonia, Outdoor Research, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, many others). So it is an accessible, "brand name", generally good/decent quality, hip outdoors wear. Some argue their quality has gone down since this change in focus, that their manufacturing locations and quality have changed, but I don't have data about that. Both DH and I have had problems with NF boots we've bought in the past 2 years that are evidence of low quality - seams splitting in a pair of boots, multiple lacing hooks falling off boots. These problems in quality lead me to buy from some of the above mentioned brands when I'm shopping for gear.

MontrealMum
01-15-2012, 01:01 AM
I find that for the most part TNF is perfectly fine, but among people that really need technical, sport-specific gear and clothing there are many other brands that are much higher up on the list as the PP mentioned. Personally, I've noticed that the details available - for the same price - on items by Patagonia, Marmot. etc. - are much nicer and well appreciated :) In our circle of friends (DH is incredibly sporty though he no longer competes) TNF is viewed as a fashion brand, not a technical brand. Although I'm really only a hobby outdoors enthusiast myself I'm wracking my brain to think of any North Face products in my "technical" lineup. I don't think there are any. I have a nice fleece and a hat/scarf set that are super soft, but I wear those for everyday, not skiing or cycling or anything. If you're just interested in warm and functional I really don't think you can go wrong with LE, LLB or EB. The North Face down jackets are nice but not necessarily worth the huge price difference.

wellyes
01-15-2012, 01:06 AM
I'd say no. It is good quality outerwear, no more or less. If your choice is a TJ Maxx or Sears or Kohls Version, like Columbia, then yes NF is better. But it is not anything special compared to similarly priced brands.

DH has a NF jacket and boots which are really nice, but we got them at deep discount. I wouldn't rush to pay full price.

brittone2
01-15-2012, 03:34 PM
DH has had his NF parka (gore tex shell with a zip in fleece) for 17, yes 17, years. And he wore it a LOT over that period of time. The goretex is no longer water resistant (as of about 2 years ago) but we did use a water resistant spray on it to help a bit.

We finally got him a new NF soft shell jacket for Christmas.

It definitely became trendier a few years ago and more retailers started carrying it.

I have had a down nuptse jacket (NF) for 10-12 years (I rarely wear it as it is a bulkier style but I do wear it when it is really cold). Back then it was mostly outdoor, climbing, and ski shops that carried NF.

AnnieW625
01-15-2012, 04:16 PM
I have a TNF hooded fleece jacket that I love, DH has a backpack, and we both have gloves that we love. We got it all at REI within the last 2 yrs. so maybe we are newbies to TNF, but I have known about the line for many years as I grew up xc skiing, and hiking. I have never thought it was a status symbol to have TNF stuff, just a necessity for the serious outdoor enthusiast.

DH has a Columbia parka that he has had for 10 yrs. and it has gotten some abuse including rain storms in Hawaii and Vermont. He bought it at Mervyns.

eno0609
01-15-2012, 05:10 PM
I have a NF Arctic Parka and it is very warm and I think that it's nice quality for the price. Around here, I don't see it as a 'status symbol' like brands such as Canada Goose and Parajumpers which cost at least twice as much as my NF parka and have huge obvious crest type labels on the arm. My NF parka has a discrete embroidered logo the same colour as the jacket, so it's not really noticeable. DH also has a NF down parka that he is really happy with and a backpack which has some nice technical features that he likes.

newg
01-15-2012, 05:35 PM
I think the "status symbol" of NF, definately depends on where you are living. Around here I see people wearing it as more of a status symbol......high school/college girls, young women/moms are wearing the jackets/fleece because of the label, not the features of the product.

wellyes
01-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Every single 13 year old girl around here wears North Face and Uggs.

newg
01-15-2012, 06:10 PM

:yeahthat:
and don't forget the vera bradley or coach bag ;)......makes me not want to use either of the brands (of which I have both and love!)

Green_Tea
01-15-2012, 06:14 PM

They wait until they're 13? Here every 8 year old is wearing those things. And not because they have extreme conditions to contend with (unless you consider the 8 year old social scene to be extreme!)

Penny's Pappa
01-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Yeah, TNF is a status symbol around here too. Been that way for some time. Not to say that TNF doesn't make decent gear, I have one of their tents and its fantastic, but I think most people buy TNF because of the name recognition. For better or worse, you have to give TNF credit there; they've done a very good job of expanding their market to the masses.

Personally I don't really likeTNF's styling. I tend to like Arc'teryx, Mountain Hardwear, and Marmot instead, plus those companies are nearly universally known for making very high quality gear.

----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

SnuggleBuggles
01-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Status symbol. However, I want to get one of their rain jackets. Dh has one and it is so, so much better than my REI brand one. I just love it!

mjmamma
01-16-2012, 07:52 PM
They wait until they're 13? Here every 8 year old is wearing those things. And not because they have extreme conditions to contend with (unless you consider the 8 year old social scene to be extreme!)

:yeahthat: It's gross when I hear a 6 year old at gymnastics say, "Where are my Uggs?" not 'my boots' but 'my Uggs'. Rant...sorry. :innocent:

AnnieW625
01-16-2012, 08:56 PM
:yeahthat: It's gross when I hear a 6 year old at gymnastics say, "Where are my Uggs?" not 'my boots' but 'my Uggs'. Rant...sorry. :innocent:

Gosh now I need to start calling DD's Fuggs her boots instead of Uggs. She will not get the real thing until her feet stop growing, until then it will be Costco Fuggs or what not. Uggs is kind of like saying Kleenex in our house.

hellokitty
01-16-2012, 09:18 PM
My opinion of NF is that 15+ yrs ago, NF was a big deal. Now, it's so popular, it's like a coach purse. Not a big deal.

infomama
01-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Gosh now I need to start calling DD's Fuggs her boots instead of Uggs. She will not get the real thing until her feet stop growing, until then it will be Costco Fuggs or what not. Uggs is kind of like saying Kleenex in our house.

Actually you can still call them Uggs.

Ugg is just the generic term for a sheepskin boot in Australia. UGG (all caps) is a registered trademark of the Decker company (these boots are make in China, of course).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugg_boots

mjmamma
01-16-2012, 09:51 PM

Oh and I get that! Where we are it's becoming commonplace to mention things by the brand for so many things and it just sounds odd coming from such young children.

DrSally
01-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Status symbol here. Seems like every mom has the long, black down coat. I was
Lucky to pick up a Marmot down sweater at tjmaxx for $99. It seemed on par w/ patagonia, so good to hear it's a good brand.

vludmilla
01-17-2012, 01:21 AM
Agreed it has become a status symbol. Like PP, I lament seeing 8 year old's around here wearing TNF jackets and "real" Uggs. I wonder how I will handle the desire for all things branded if DD starts to want these things. I'm not looking forward to that possibility.

ijopint
01-17-2012, 12:29 PM
DH and I used to worked in a camping store in NYC and TNF brand was one of the best brands out there in the of mountaineering gears. Sierra designs and Mountain hardware shared similar designs from North Face b/c all were all former employees/designers of TNF. yeah, it's been popular that there has been a lot of fake ones floating around in our Chinatown in Manhattan!
Personally I would get Patagonia, Arteryx or Western Mountaineering jackets for my kids.

Kindra178
01-17-2012, 06:15 PM
I like the TNF because to me, it's urban technical. Almost everyone in Chicago has/had either the Triple C or the Metropolitan coats. Why? Because they are warm and flattering. A few years ago, it was really, really hard to find super warm stylish coats that were slim fitting/flattering. Other companies, including LE, have begun to compete. I also love/prefer Patagonia, as it somehow seems more classic and less trendy than TNF.

mom2binsd
01-17-2012, 10:11 PM
I saw a guy the other day with a fleece jacket similar to TNF, but on it was embroidered "The South Butt"...I thought it was hilarious, as TNF is everywhere now.

mackmama
01-18-2012, 07:12 PM
I am a major NF fan. I think their quality and style are top notch. I think their waterproof goods are better than many of their competitors. I didn't know it was a status symbol in some places. I just think that if you need cold-weather gear, their stuff is awesome.

veronica
01-18-2012, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't rush out and pay fp. I have a denali jacket that is 6 years old. It does not keep me warm and I'm only in NJ. I normally don't like to be warm (I wore flip flops and a hoodie to the bus stop today), but when it snows/gets cold, I wear it and am not impressed.

artvandalay
02-01-2012, 07:24 PM
I just saw this and HAD to post

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1099/13265991/23888854/400814498.jpg

LOL!

(I do have a NF, but we get pretty severe winters here - well, except this winter, which has been pretty lame).

I do agree they can be a status-symbol, though.

infomama
02-01-2012, 07:46 PM

LOL!
Holy crap..that is hilarious:applause:

mjmamma
02-01-2012, 09:33 PM
That is awesome!

Green_Tea
02-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Posted that on my FB wall yesterday. Was met with resounding silence from the moms in my community. :hysterical: I was fun to see who reposted it though!

Penny's Pappa
02-01-2012, 10:40 PM

LOL!

(I do have a NF, but we get pretty severe winters here - well, except this winter, which has been pretty lame).

I do agree they can be a status-symbol, though.

LOL!!

I saw this on my FB and was so about to post it here!

Not to pick on Kindra (or anyone else here for that matter), but the whole notion of TNF as "urban technical" gear is what I dislike most about them. The culture behind technical gear revolves around people getting out of the cities and into the backcountry to get sweaty, dirty, and bloody. It's about adventure and being prepared to overcome the elements. Back in the day, TNF was a part of that niche. Nowadays, everyone and their brother wears TNF and it doesn't matter if they've ever set foot in the woods. That does not sit well with some outdoor enthusiasts who see TNF as gear built for "posers."

hellokitty
02-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Too funny!

jent
02-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Not to pick on Kindra (or anyone else here for that matter), but the whole notion of TNF as "urban technical" gear is what I dislike most about them. The culture behind technical gear revolves around people getting out of the cities and into the backcountry to get sweaty, dirty, and bloody. It's about adventure and being prepared to overcome the elements. Back in the day, TNF was a part of that niche. Nowadays, everyone and their brother wears TNF and it doesn't matter if they've ever set foot in the woods. That does not sit well with some outdoor enthusiasts who see TNF as gear built for "posers."

Hey now, urban people have technical needs too. Since moving to a big city, I've been taking public transit almost every day for work. It's been mild this winter, but on the days it's not, I'm so happy for my down puffer (which is not TNF, it's a LE with similar styling). And it doesn't hurt that it has nice styling and looks good too.

Totally LOLing at the Willy Wonka picture though.

Kindra178
02-01-2012, 11:13 PM
LOL!!

I saw this on my FB and was so about to post it here!

I definitely don't feel picked on. I walk about a mile on both ends of an 18 minute train commute. I wait for my trains on elevated open air platforms. No matter the weather. I do not have a drive or parking option. We have had over 50 inches of the snow the past four winters with a ton of days that had a high of 12 and sub zero wind chills. I loved my NF Triple C for these conditions from 08-11. Hence, urban technical. If I had a suburban existence where I traveled from heated garage to heated car to office building, I wouldn't need urban technical, because I wouldn't be in the elements. Loving my Patagonia Down With It this winter, but of course, it's been mild.

MontrealMum
02-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks for posting :hysterical:

LexyLou
02-02-2012, 03:11 AM
I think the "status symbol" of NF, definately depends on where you are living. Around here I see people wearing it as more of a status symbol......high school/college girls, young women/moms are wearing the jackets/fleece because of the label, not the features of the product.

I live close to Tahoe and NF is definitely a status symbol around here. The more you wear, the more you go to Tahoe...

Also the CEO lives in my town, so it's pretty big here.

artvandalay
02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Posted that on my FB wall yesterday. Was met with resounding silence from the moms in my community. :hysterical: I was fun to see who reposted it though!

I almost peed in my pants laughing when I saw it. I could really imagine Willy Wonka saying this, which is why this is so brilliant!