PDA

View Full Version : Rate for highschool sitter/mother's helper?

Minnifer
01-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I know this will be in part dependent on location, but can I get a sense of what you think appropriate sitting rates are for a 17 year old? I moved a few weeks ago and a neighbor's daughter is coming over for a few hours today to occupy my 3.5 yo and 7 month old while I try to unpack. I've never used a young kid/mother's helper type before - always used our nanny for sitting when I was in NYC, and the rate was $15-20/hour. I'm now in a kind of rural suburb in PA, kind of halfway between Phila and Allentown, and another neighbor (who doesn't use sitters often) told me that she *thinks* the rate for a mother's helper is around $5-6/hour if I am home, and $8 if I am out. That sounds low to me, but I really have no context, and sitters.com suggests $11, but then that seems a bit high. I asked the highschooler, but she deferred to me (and seemed uncomfortable). I just don't have a "feel" for how it works here, kwim? I could call her mom and ask but that feels weird too. Suggestions? TIA!

Green_Tea
01-15-2012, 12:33 PM
I pay my HS age sitter $10/hour to watch my kids when I'm not home. I've never hired her to be a mother's helper, but I'd probably pay her $8 an hour for that.

crl
01-15-2012, 01:10 PM
When I have used a high school sitter, I paid her $11 an hour. College students and such usually get between $15 and $22 an hour depending on the number of kids and the sitter. This is San Francisco so very high COL.

Catherine

AnnieW625
01-15-2012, 01:10 PM
I used to charge min. wage plus $1.50 per extra child per hour once I had a few years of experience when I was 18. Honestly for me in high school babysitting was easier than finding a job in retail or fast food so I took whatever the people wanted to pay me which was usually a little less than min. wage.

BDKmom
01-15-2012, 02:23 PM
In our area, high school babysitters for when we are out are usally $10/hr. Hoping to get a mother's helper for the summer, after DD arrives, and will probably offer $7-8, depending on the age of the sitter. My next door neighbor is 13, so probably offer her $7, but if I end up gettting someone older, probably $8. I live in a suburb of Atlanta, I would say medium COL (or whatever you would call it, not as high as SF or DC/NYC, but not as low as a more rural area of the south).

Elilly
01-15-2012, 02:27 PM
My sitter is in 8th grade and we pay $7/hr.

bostonsmama
01-15-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't ask people what they charge, I tell people, "I pay $X per hour. Are you willing to watch my child for X hours on X day?" I figure if it's too low, they'll either counter with what they are used to receiving or politely decline. I have 2 mature middle and high schoolers (who live across the street--and whose parents practically sit outside my house and watch to see that THEIR children are okay) whom I pay $5/hr to watch a video monitor of my already-put-to-bed and sleeping child. I would pay more for someone who is in college (or post grad), has their own transportation and/or sterling recs (they get $7-9/hr here). My only caution is that you research your local friend's advice, b/c paying more in a community where the avg rate is lower could raise everyone's rates.

erosenst
01-15-2012, 03:54 PM
First, around here (relatively large city in the midwest) 17 is definitely considered old enough to babysit, not just be a mothers' helper. When I hear 'mothers' helper', I think 13-14 and younger - able to occupy the kids unless something goes wrong (pretty much anything) at which point mom steps in; meals may be prepared by mom, etc.

When we moved here I hired a sitter to watch DD while I unpacked, as DH was out of town. I was in the house, but really expected to not have to do anything with DD (ie feeding, nap, keeping her occupied, etc). Hmm...that sounds bad - and obviously in a true emergency I would have been involved. I paid the regular rate - which here is $9-10.

candaceb
01-15-2012, 04:07 PM
I am in a somewhat rural suburb in Connecticut (2.5 hours from NYC so not in that stratosphere). I pay my mother's helper (6th grader - 11 years old) $4 an hour plus tip - $10 for 2 hours, and my 16 year old babysitter $7 per hour plus tip. I pay the 16 year old the same rate even if I am home - it's still her time even though she has slightly less responsibility because I would be there in case of emergency. If I am home she is actually doing more work than when I'm away because usually we have her come in the evenings when DS is already asleep and she just sits on the couch and watch TV. If I'm home and she's here it means he's awake and on the go.

JMS
01-15-2012, 05:50 PM
I live outside Philly and I pay my high school Junior $10 hour and I always round up or give a couple extra dollars. I have three kids though.

Minnifer
01-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone - very helpful :) . I wound up giving her $8. She played w/DD for 3 hours, and kind of kept an eye on DS for 1 hour of that (then he napped). Maybe it was overpaying and I could/should have done $7, dunno (it's a good point about driving up the rate). I guess if I ever leave her with the kids I could stick with that rate or only go up to $9. When I gave her the money I told her I was giving her $8 and she seemed completely fine with it but neutral - in other words, not looking elated so it wasn't way too high, and not looking bummed out. So I guess it was in the range :D

I've never had a young sitter, so this is all new to me. I do consider 17 to be sitter age, just would have thought "mother's helper" applied whenever you're home too (which would include someone younger b/c I wouldn't leave them with the kids). A neighbor also gave me the name of a couple of younger girls who sit so I may try them too. In the meantime, the girl I used today is coming back tomorrow for 2 hours b/c I felt like I got a TON accomplished today :boogie:. Even though she was on her phone texting a bit, which I hate, DD was thoroughly happy playing with/around her. It's also nice that she lives a few houses away around the corner so I would never have to deal with driving her home (which, as a single parent, would be tricky since I'd have to take the kids - unless, do sitters' parents pick them up???).

SnuggleBuggles
01-15-2012, 06:54 PM
I don't consider 17 young at all. I started babysitting much younger and would be open to hiring someone much younger too. I think at least minimum wage should be expected at 17yo.

Jen841
01-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Our sitter $10 an hour - highschool students. I am never around, for a $14 year old as a sitter we did $8 when awake and $6 when asleep, her idea.

Never did a Mommy's Helper.

We are in Philly Burbs.