PDA

View Full Version : Freezing pads with witch hazel?

Liziz
01-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Help explain this to me, please! I'm having my first baby in a month and trying to get myself as ready as I can. I recall reading on a couple other threads that people recommend freezing pads with witch hazel for post-partum. These are probably silly questions, but I know this is the best place to get all sorts of answers!

How much witch hazel did you put on a pad? I assume it shouldn't be too soaked, or it won't absorb the other "stuff" I need it to absorb?
How did you freeze and store them so that they didn't stick together?
I also read somewhere to pour on the witch hazel, then coat with a layer of vaseline...anyone do this? What's the benefit?
How many pads do you suggest I prepare in advance?

TIA...this whole impending birth/postpartum experience seems a bit overwhelming, it's nice to be able to hear from so many mamas who have BTDT!

waitingforgrace
01-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Well I can't really help with freezing pads with witch hazel in them because I never did that, never felt I needed to. What I did, which seemed much easier to me, was keep Tucks pads (or other store brand witch hazel pad/wipe) in the refrigerator. I would just grab then before heading to the bathroom. This way they were nice and cold, but not freezing. I didn't like having anything too cold down there and for the first day, possibly more, you will be in the hospital and they will be able to provide you with ice packs or whatever else you need. Once I left the hospital I never felt the need to put much ice on the area. In case you're curious I had 2nd degree tears with DD1 and DD2.

Simon
01-15-2012, 01:46 PM
I never used them with Ds1 or Ds2 but I didn't have any significant tearing with them. I will ditto the tucks in the fridge idea as reccomended by the Pp and several of my friends. I didn't really want too much cold even when sore.

I imagine the vaseline is to keep the pad from sticking to tender skin.

For me the best help was a numbing creme that the hospital gave me to put on top of the pads I wore for the PP bleeding. That stuff worked great! I don't know what it was (came in a pharmacy tube) but that's the stuff I would try for. Just squirt a bunch of the creme on the pad, pull up underwear and 4+ hours of relief. Very nice. Maybe someone else here will have a suggestion.

BDKmom
01-15-2012, 02:00 PM
I uses a diaper filled with ice and layered tucks pads on top. But as PP have said, I only did this for the first day at the hospital, didn't feel I needed after that. The hospital gave me some ointment and a numbing spray to take home, which I applied everytime I went to the bathroom.

For the diaper ice pack, you tear open the diaper across the top and dump a cup of ice inside (where the absorbant "filling" is). Then you just wear this as your pad. That way, as the ice melts, the diaper absorbs it, so no mess.

I had 2nd degree tear also. Recovery/healing from it really wasn't that bad.

daisymommy
01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
The cold pack maxi pads they give you in the hospital Rock! You squeeze them, and they become a cold pack inside, but still totally absorbent. Pure heaven!

You can buy them online too. I can't find the link with my phone. I'll update later.
http://www.midwifesupplies.com/1U-MED101-p-Labor.html

Fwiw...With my first two I tore, last baby I didn't. But even then totally swollen up and in pain for days. Loved these with all 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green22
01-15-2012, 02:33 PM
2nd degree tears (and then my stitches didn't dissolve so they had to be pulled out).

I asked for extra of the ice packs from the hospital that a PP described above- they were most helpful. They also gave me a squirt bottle (kind of) that I used with warm water every time I went to the bathroom (is this called a peri-wash? IDK). The hospital also gave a numbing spray that was the absolute best. I didn't buy anything - I just asked for an extra spray and would ask for some extra ice packs all the time and hoarded them.

These items did great by me.

MSWR0319
01-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Geez, I feel a little left out in my hospital experience. I didn't know I had all these options!! I'll be sure to remember next time. All I had was the bottle you used with warm water when you went to the bathroom, but boy oh boy did I love that thing. I didn't need anything at home either other than the bottle.

mikala
01-15-2012, 03:32 PM
I've always been a little cautious about keeping a block of ice in that region for long for fear of nerve damage. I don't know if it's a rational fear or not but I'd rather not find out :) I agree w/ PP to just use something like Tucks pads with witch hazel in the fridge or keep a bottle of witch hazel and some maxipads around just in case.

The peri bottle with warm water PP mentioned is also awesome and the hospital sent one home with me.

You might also try something like this. I didn't know about it when I was pregnant but a friend recently recommended it. http://www.lusaorganics.com/postpartum-herbs-birth-healing-comfrey-calendula-p/ppherbs.htm

I remember being surprised by how many maxipads I went through in the early days so I'd definitely stock up on some of the wider overnight ones.

I think the need for these things varies a lot between women based on whether there was much tearing or an episiotomy.

mjs64
01-15-2012, 03:57 PM
So I did it in advance and turns out I needed it. I ended up with a 4th degree episiotomy plus tearing. I hope that doesn't happen to you, but I was glad I had them.

I poured a couple of tablespoons over some pads. Dont soak them. I froze them around a bowl so they stayed curved. I layered them over the bowl in opposing directions. The peel off plastic between the pads kept them separate. Once they were frozen I put them in a ziptop freezer bag. They melted within 30 min to just plain witch hazel, which is what's in tucks pads anyhow. So it's not like I had a block of ice on me for an extended period of time. They really provided quite a relief and I would do it again. HTH.

Eta: I made a box of pads. Probably
overkill unless your birth is like mine. I didn't use Vaseline.

lmh2402
01-15-2012, 08:06 PM
i did this in advance with DS. and never used them. ended up throwing them all away. i had a 2nd degree tear, but the healing really wasn't that bad. i did use the squeeze bottle regularly after i went to the bathroom.