PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tub would you prefer?

s7714
01-15-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm starting to price out master bath remodel costs and am debating tub options. Right now we have a walk in shower stall with separate soaking tub. The soaking tub is deep, but short (can't stretch out) and is challenging to get in and out of. I'm considering getting a longer soaking tube with easier access but a longer tub would mean doing a tub/shower combo vs. separate units.

Just curious what people would pick! Poll to follow...

BDKmom
01-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I can understand your dilema. I guess it depends on which you take more, therefore which do you want to be nicer, roomier, and more luxurious. We are shower people, so when we did our remodel, we focused on that and kept the garden tub we had. I would say that our tub is long and deep, and a couple of things I hate about it: 1-it is tough to clean b/c it is so deep, 2- I have a hard time getting a good temp on my bath water, b/c our hot water seems to run out before the tub is full enough to soak in. If I want a bath, I go to the guest bathroom, which has a standard sized tub.

IMO, the separate shower is a more desirable feature for resale (especially in my area), so if you are thinking of selling anytime soon, you might want to check out what is expected in your area. If you are planning to stay a while, I would definitely go with what will make you happier to have.

ETA: Sorry, think I posted before you got the poll up. For me, obviously I kept the seperate tub and shower, but as I said, that's because I'm more of a shower person. If you are a bath person, you might want to go the other way. Also, we have jets and I never use them. Just not something that appeals to me.

MamaMolly
01-15-2012, 02:18 PM
After living in a shower only house for two years bath tubs are a BIG deal for me. The house we live in now has one shower, one combo, and a combo with a jacuzzi soaking tub. My girls use the jacuzzi almost every day.

ABO Mama
01-15-2012, 02:21 PM
We prefer showers.

baileygirl
01-15-2012, 02:34 PM
I would rather have nicer shower options (i.e. more jets) since we all tend to take showers. A nice tub would be nice, but I can't see myself using it more then a couple of times a month...shower we use daily.

crl
01-15-2012, 02:43 PM
We don't take baths so I would prefer none in the master, assuming there is one elsewhere. If a tub is necessary in the master, I would prefer the easiest possible one to clean and to maximize the shower space.

Catherine

BabyBearsMom
01-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I'd always pick a bigger more spacious tub.

I voted no on the tub jets. My in-laws used to have those in one of their houses. They hadn't used them in a while, and my mother-in-law decided to take a bath and turn on the jets. Suddenly, tons of black gunk started shooting out of the jets into the tub. After that story, those tub jets give me the creeps.

Kindra178
01-15-2012, 04:26 PM
I am a huge bath person. Jets are worthless, hard to clean and require all sorts of motor nonsense. The trend, by the way, is huge walk in showers, no bathtub, in the master. I am not a fan of the trend. So many master bathrooms in my area have gone this route.

brittone2
01-15-2012, 04:37 PM
The last two homes I've owned have had just a stall shower in the MBR, no tub. As long as I have a tub for the kids (hall bath) that's okay with me.

It might have been nice to have a tub in the master but it isn't a deal breaker for me.

When we were living in our rental last year, we had a big garden tub and after we'd get back from the pool, I'd take DS2 (young toddler at the time) and DD both in with me and three of us would get a bath at the same time. A roomy tub was handy for that :)

I think resale can be a concern, but having just a shower in the master bath has never been a deal breaker for me personally when I look at a house (provided there's a tub in another bathroom).

DS1 is starting to prefer to shower, so right now he showers in the master bath while DD and DS2 take a bath in the hallway bathroom.

s7714
01-15-2012, 06:08 PM
I don't think DH would go for the no tub option as he occasionally likes to soak after a long run or if he's sick. Although if I let him get a jacuzzi he'd probably be more open to losing the tub. We have tubs in our other two bathrooms, so it's not like we're lacking on tubs. I enjoy baths but the master tub is such a monster water user I rarely feel like filling it up.

We have no plans to move anytime soon, but I always consider resale value because you just never know!

lhafer
01-15-2012, 07:05 PM
When we built our house, we splurged on a full body 5 jet shower in the master bath shower (and it has a bench seat - which is a must for me) and we splurged on a jetted 6' soaker bathtub. Love them both. We used the bathtub a lot in the beginning. Then we got a hut tub and I don't use the bathtub for soaking nearly as much. Occasionally I want a bubble bath - but generally DH and I get in the hot tub almost every single night. Our girls have taken over the jetted tub as they get a bath in there together about every other night or so.

twowhat?
01-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Depending on the style of your house, I think a large clawfoot or other similar soaking tub with feet and shower with the wraparound curtain could be really charming...think a restoration hardware look.

Eta: our agent says the trend is large shower and no tub so definitely take that into consideration. If you don't plan on stayin in this house for a long time, pick whichever has higher resale value.

fivi2
01-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Our planned remodel will have a shower in the master, but no tub (there is a tub in the other bathroom). Currently there is no master (we are in a 2/1) so this will be a big improvement for us :)

wellyes
01-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Is the short soaking tub extra deep? I'd consider that option. But I love a big tub.
Depending on the style of your house, I think a large clawfoot or other similar soaking tub with feet and shower with the wraparound curtain could be really charming...think a restoration hardware look.

Eta: our agent says the trend is large shower and no tub so definitely take that into consideration. If you don't plan on stayin in this house for a long time, pick whichever has higher resale value.

That trend - big shower, no tub - is all about the burgeoning senior citizen population who want to be able to sit (eventually) in the shower. I don't think it would be good for resale in a family-oriented neighborhood.

Twoboos
01-15-2012, 07:36 PM
I am so happy to hear big-shower-no-tub is the rage now!! :yay: Our (new to us) house currently has a crappy shower stall and huge jetted tub, which we haven't yet used. I'd have to bleach that thing out first. And who knows if it would stay hot for as long as it would take to fill it! I've been saying when we redo the bathroom we'll have a big shower and no tub, but I was afraid that would be problematic and weird. (We would still have a tub in the kid's bath.)

So because we're shower people, I'd take bigger shower/smaller tub.

JBaxter
01-15-2012, 07:37 PM
I SO want a multi head shower with a seat!!! MONDO shower. As long as there was a tub someplace I would go deluxe shower

Kindra178
01-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Is the short soaking tub extra deep? I'd consider that option. But I love a big tub.

That trend - big shower, no tub - is all about the burgeoning senior citizen population who want to be able to sit (eventually) in the shower. I don't think it would be good for resale in a family-oriented neighborhood.

I don't think that's right. In Chicago, all the old historic million dollar houses, in family friendly hoods, with recently renovated bathrooms are taking out their late 90s style jetted tubs in favor of huge walk in showers. I have seen it again and again in the last 5 years. I think many (most?) people don't take baths on a regular basis; therefore, a huge jetted tub is a total waste of bathroom real estate. On the other hand, most people shower every day so having an awesome shower area has usurped the space of the bathtub. Newer homes don't necessarily have the space issues, the bathtub doesn't take up valuable bathroom real estate.

When we redo our master bath, we will take out the deep short jetted tub and add a claw footed tub.

karstmama
01-15-2012, 08:23 PM
my last house had a nice separate tub and a reasonable shower stall.

i hated it. the tub was hard to clean because there wasn't a long nozzle. i had to use a stadium cup to rinse it off. had we stayed, i'd have put in a nozzle-style faucet or something.

really, i don't have a problem with the common tub & shower arrangement, but if i had to pick one, it would be a shower.

WatchingThemGrow
01-15-2012, 08:24 PM
I *love* baths and take one 90% of the time. It helps me wake up gently. I've ruled out houses we've looked at b/c they don't have a tub in the master bath. The jets in our are fine if they are used every so often. Only once did gunk come from them. Y'all just need to use them more often!

catsnkid
01-15-2012, 09:34 PM
It's good to have at least one tub in the house. I hate my upstairs shower in my master bathroom. I hate the bathroom for other reasons too. Will be redoing. Will not be doing a whirlpool / jets because of the maintenance/ and well water.

ETA I hate the shower because it is small and I feel closed in.

fauve01
01-16-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm starting to price out master bath remodel costs and am debating tub options. Right now we have a walk in shower stall with separate soaking tub. The soaking tub is deep, but short (can't stretch out) and is challenging to get in and out of. I'm considering getting a longer soaking tube with easier access but a longer tub would mean doing a tub/shower combo vs. separate units.

Just curious what people would pick! Poll to follow...

we redid our master bath this past summer. we already had a separate shower and tub. The tub was a jetted jacuzzi tub that was nasty dirty and the jets were broken when we moved here. the shower we had was already large enough for my tall 6'3" DH, so we kept the shower the same size, and just switched the tub for a deep soaker tub (no jets!) DH could stretch out in. it is challenging for short (5'1") me to get in and out of because it's deep. DD LOVES to bathe in it! she thinks she's in a pool. lol. We are shower people so this was fine for us. we only use the tub a few times a year.

i made sure to get a spray hose thingy so it would be easy to clean.

I agree with PP that as long as you have a tub else where in the house you don't have to have one in the master.

here's the tub we chose (excuse the bad phone pic):
http://i40.tinypic.com/28jld77.jpg

eagle
01-16-2012, 01:23 AM
in our next house we would like a japanese style soaking tub

eagle
01-16-2012, 01:25 AM
with a huge awesome shower because we use that every day.

elizabethkott
01-16-2012, 09:14 AM
I voted other. In the past 18 months, we put an addition on our house to create a master with bath and walk in closet. The choice for us was bathroom with bathtub or walk in closet. I went closet. :D DH and I don't really take baths. We got a really nice, deep soaking tub for the boys' bathroom, so if the urge strikes there's that one available. We also have a full bath off the kitchen with a more shallow tub which is actually where I give the boys their bath at night just because it's easier to get them in/out.

kboyle
01-16-2012, 02:28 PM
do you have another full bath/shower that you can just get a soaked jetted tub for your master? that's what our plan is when we redo our master bath....

AnnieW625
01-16-2012, 02:40 PM
I voted for separate shower and separate tub, and fish gills. The kids are the only ones who take baths on a regular basis in our house. If we are ever able to add on DH would prefer a single stall shower in the master bath, but for resale we'll probably do the standard shower/tub combo.

pb&j
01-16-2012, 03:00 PM
I would prefer no tub and a giant, awesome shower. Right now we have a smallish shower stall and a big, jetted soaking tub. I never use it; it takes forever to fill, uses up almost all the hot water, is hard to get in and out of, and is a pain to clean. I know for resale people want tubs in the master, but if I could rip it out and replace it with a big steam shower with multiple jets/settings and a beautiful enclosure, I would. Both of our other baths have tubs, so we do have somewhere to bathe the kids, etc.

buddyleebaby
01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
We have a teeny tiny tub and I.HATE.IT.

If I could change one thing about my house, it would be to put a bigger tub in...one that an adult (or two ;)) could actually stretch out and relax in.

KrisM
01-16-2012, 03:07 PM
We don't take baths so I would prefer none in the master, assuming there is one elsewhere. If a tub is necessary in the master, I would prefer the easiest possible one to clean and to maximize the shower space.

Catherine

:yeahthat:

I'd love to redo my master bath and eliminate the tub for a nice, big linen closet instead! The last bath I took was when I was in labor with DS2. Before that, I was in labor with DD.

theriviera
01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
The trend, by the way, is huge walk in showers, no bathtub, in the master.

We went this route instead of doing a tub and shower. We are shower people and when we had a jacuzzi tub in our last house, we never used it. We did the 1 adjustable/removable shower head, one rainfall head, and 3 body spray jets. We regret the rain shower head (mounted from the ceiling) as the water loses pressure and heat by the time it gets to us. We wish we would have done a steam shower (great for colds!)

theriviera
01-16-2012, 06:44 PM
I voted other. In the past 18 months, we put an addition on our house to create a master with bath and walk in closet. The choice for us was bathroom with bathtub or walk in closet. I went closet. :D DH and I don't really take baths. We got a really nice, deep soaking tub for the boys' bathroom, so if the urge strikes there's that one available. We also have a full bath off the kitchen with a more shallow tub which is actually where I give the boys their bath at night just because it's easier to get them in/out.

I should have kept reading - our choice was also between huge walk in closet or bath. We also chose closet.

citymama
02-22-2012, 04:25 AM
Good shower is an absolute must, but it's nice to have a tub to soak in as well. Don't go for one that's so small you can't stretch out. And get the jets!

kijip
02-22-2012, 04:59 AM
I really like a relaxing soaking bath. Even though I take showers. I would go with an option that gave me a really nice sized tub. That said, a shower with multiple heads would be something that would make me reconsider that. I would love a multihead shower. :jammin:

kijip
02-22-2012, 05:04 AM
If I could change one thing about my house, it would be to put a bigger tub in...one that an adult (or two ;)) could actually stretch out and relax in.

:yeahthat:

If I could add a little sf to the house, I would want to add it all to the bathroom and really up the shower and tub space. I can live with a teeny closet. I can live with my bed linens stashed in under the bed boxes and my towels under one of the bathroom sinks. I can live with a kids bedroom small enough to make me keep their dresser on the landing outside of the bedroom. But I would really like a 2 person sized tub and shower vs. my teeny tub/shower combo.

mom_hanna
02-22-2012, 02:17 PM
We remodeled our master with a big tiled shower, no tub. We have two other tubs in the house, so we did not feel the need for a third. That said, one of our other tubs is a 6 footer. It is not extra deep or jetted or anything, just long. And perfect for my dh to be able to stretch out in.

HIU8
02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
I think a house needs at least 1 tub in it. But I do not like tubs. I'm not a bath person and I don't like to soak in the tub etc... I would vote for an awesome shower and no tub (as long as your other bathroom has a tub in it).

lalasmama
02-22-2012, 10:21 PM
First, a confession: I voted for fish gills, just because when else will that ever be an option?!? :)

I'd go with a combo soaking tub and shower. Every once in a while, I get in a mood, and take a soak several days in a row. On those days, I REALLY miss XH's jacuzzi tub (kind of; more on that hesitation in a moment). I loved being totally enveloped in warm water! It makes my crankies drown!

I'd skip the jets, though. That's always my hesitation with big tubs now; those jets can get soooooo nasty if they aren't cleaned/ran quick enough. One night, XH thought he'd try to get me in that "loving mood" by drawing me a bath, candles, the whole bit. I hit the button for the jets, and screamed as black slime came out! Eeeewwwww!

Now, I think jets are made by a frenemy, because it looks all nice and unassuming and wonderful, then shoots nasty mold at me!

hillview
02-22-2012, 10:32 PM
We are shower people. We had an amazing tub that was not used except with DS1 when he was a baby. I'd vote awesome shower and small tub.

So it depends how you would use it/personal preference. Do you tub often? Solo (sorry not being nosy). Does DH tub?