PDA

View Full Version : Another craigslist question

Maxlee
01-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Going to look at an item today I am thinking of purchasing. Asking price seems a little high. How much off retail do you generally feel is fair to pay? If you are going to offer less do you do it in person when you go see item or over phone/email. I haven't ever seen item in person so I do want to see it to make sure I want it

Thanks!

KHF
01-16-2012, 12:12 PM
I think the asking price would depend on the demand and condition of the item. I bought a new BJ City Elite Double stroller for $440 when they went on clearance and sold it for $400 on CL two years later. There was demand and a buyer.

I would generally get a feel for the item (through pictures) and negotiate the price that I'd be willing to pay, prior to arriving. If you get there and the item is in significantly different condition I would tell the seller that the condition wasn't what I was expecting and either offer them a smaller amount or just decline.

I've sold a number of items via Craigslist and we've always established price prior to the buyer arriving. If you feel it's overpriced, ask if they're willing to take $XXX instead. Depending on how long it's been listed, they might take it.

Tinochka
01-16-2012, 12:17 PM
I sold and bought items from CL. I usually not bargain ahead of the game and not bargain in person, unless the item was misleading (fading, old, dirty)... I either agree with price, either do not apply to an add. I just don’t like that $10 (whatever) last taste. I prefer both sides to be happy and expect that when I am selling I am going to have the same experience.
As for a pricing... Depends... If it is high demand stroller, unless there is something wrong (hole, need repair), you can’t expect 75% off retail. If it is made of wood, the same, because this items tend to service longer than cheaply made once.

vonfirmath
01-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Please negotiate price BEFORE going to see the item. If the person will not budge on price, better not to waste everyone's time. It "feels" wrong when I've set up with someone to come purchase an item and they come and want to negotiate. Just for spite, I'm ready to say No no matter what.

Oh I also don't generally let someone come see my item "just to see it" -- I want some assurance they are pretty interested in buying if the item is as described before I take time to try and meet them

mom2one
01-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Maxlee - what is the item you are hoping to buy? We all might be able to help you determine if the price is fair. If cant hurt to ask for a lower price, but be prepared to hear no.

I do agree with PP's, I have listed numerous things are CL. Price is determined before item is being picked up/purchased. I have had a few people ask for money off, but if I have 10 people wanting it, I just ignore those offers.

I have only had one person come and look at item and ask for a lower price.

GL!
Susan

Maxlee
01-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Maxlee - what is the item you are hoping to buy? We all might be able to help you determine if the price is fair. If cant hurt to ask for a lower price, but be prepared to hear no.

I do agree with PP's, I have listed numerous things are CL. Price is determined before item is being picked up/purchased. I have had a few people ask for money off, but if I have 10 people wanting it, I just ignore those offers.

I have only had one person come and look at item and ask for a lower price.

GL!
Susan

Nilo play table with two bins.
http://www.nilotoys.com/products.htm
What do you think is a fair price?

AngB
01-16-2012, 01:29 PM
The only thing I generally will try to negotiate on is if they'll be willing to meet somewhere more in the middle of both of us if they are farther away (like say the person is 30 min away, I'll ask them if they would be willing to meet in X which is 15 minutes from us both. Likewise, when I'm selling, I mention that I'm willing to meet within 15 minutes of my city. Especially for items that are $40-$50+, I figure it's worth my time to get rid of it and get a little money for it.

I generally expect to pay about 50% of the retail price, depending on what it is and how many there are listed and how bad I want it. I also take a look on ebay and search the CL archives to see what the general going rate is.

wellyes
01-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Nearly every time I have sold something on CL, the buyer has tried to haggle down once we meet in person. I generally pay full asking price but I don't mind the hagglers. It is the nature of the beast.

ETA I typically do NOT accept the new price and I don't care of they walk away. It is frustrating but I don't think of it as awaste of time, it is just how cash and carry works.

BabyDahl
01-16-2012, 01:57 PM
:yeahthat: to what wellyes said. Before I ever purchased anything on CL, I had sold a few items. Every buyer wanted to haggle at time of purchase. Every.single.one. Most I accepted (low interest items), others I enforced listed price. It wasn't until these boards that I learned that process (of negotiating at time of transaction) wasn't kosher :shrug:

As for fair price, are there others listed on your CL? Is price higher or lower than other listings? What's the condition? Make sure you have detailed pics and ask any questions so you're not unpleasantly surprised when you see it.

Maxlee
01-16-2012, 02:05 PM
As for fair price, are there others listed on your CL? Is price higher or lower than other listings? What's the condition? Make sure you have detailed pics and ask any questions so you're not unpleasantly surprised when you see it.

No others on craigslist in the area. Listing says excellent condition

Penny's Pappa
01-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Nearly every time I have sold something on CL, the buyer has tried to haggle down once we meet in person. I generally pay full asking price but I don't mind the hagglers. It is the nature of the beast.

ETA I typically do NOT accept the new price and I don't care of they walk away. It is frustrating but I don't think of it as awaste of time, it is just how cash and carry works.

:yeahthat:

Unless the price is listed as firm, non-negotiable, or the like, haggling is just how CL is done and I'd wager most sellers expect there to be some.

I'd start the negotiation over the phone/e-mail based on the condition stated in the listing, but there's nothing to say you can't negotiate further once you see the item for yourself. Pictures, the seller's description, and the seller's subjective determination of condition can only tell you so much. If you see the item and it's not up to your standards, it's perfectly acceptable to offer less or even to walk away.

crayonblue
01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I think it was Katie on here who said that she emails something like, "I am interested in your item but only looking to pay X. If you don't sell your item and are willing to lower the price, please let me know." I tried that a few times and was pleasantly surprised to get emails back lowering the price significantly! I do NOT haggle at the person's house but try to get a finalized price before I go. I have walked away from sales when the item is misrepresented (dirty or broken or something).

Maxlee
01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Anyone have advice on this particular item? Nilo play table w/ two bins under

Melaine
01-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Going to look at an item today I am thinking of purchasing. Asking price seems a little high. How much off retail do you generally feel is fair to pay? If you are going to offer less do you do it in person when you go see item or over phone/email. I haven't ever seen item in person so I do want to see it to make sure I want it

Thanks!

I almost always turn down offers that are made on the spot (even if it is an offer I might have taken via email). I get EXTREMELY frustrated with a buyer who doesn't make offers until I have gone to all the trouble of meeting them. It's a total waste of my time. If you are planning on offering less, it's much better to do so via email ahead of time, IMO. I do feel this it's different with bigger pieces like furniture or vehicles because there is more room for negotiation and you really do need to see it in person before committing.

ETA: I should add that I take a lot of trouble to photograph my items and describe them thoroughly (more like ebay than what you usually see on CL). So when people offer less it is pretty obvious they were intending to do so all along which is why it bugs me so much. I had one lady that was super rude and unreasonable after I had taken a lot of trouble to meet her at her convenience. Not only did I turn her down, but she later emailed me about a bunch of other items and she lost out on them too because I wasn't willing to do business with her again. I sell stuff ALL the time and don't have time to waste with people who aren't serious.

Jo..
01-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Please negotiate price BEFORE going to see the item. If the person will not budge on price, better not to waste everyone's time. It "feels" wrong when I've set up with someone to come purchase an item and they come and want to negotiate. Just for spite, I'm ready to say No no matter what.

Oh I also don't generally let someone come see my item "just to see it" -- I want some assurance they are pretty interested in buying if the item is as described before I take time to try and meet them

I will not negotiate on price after a meeting is set up. To me, that's just rude. I take clear pictures and almost always have multiple interested buyers. If you call me and say you want to buy my item, then meet me, I would be PISSED if you then tried to haggle.

This has happened to me two or three times out of maybe 50 CL sales. I tell them "no, my price is firm". I have never had anyone walk away.

Several times I have had email,phone haggling, and I don't mind that at all.

KrisM
01-16-2012, 03:05 PM
I bought a table like that with 2 bins for $150 off Craigslist 2 years ago.

brittone2
01-16-2012, 03:28 PM
I don't like when people show up and then try to negotiate, mostly because I usually have multiple people interested and they were willing to pay full price. I usually price fairly and then deal with negotiating in advance, and if they show up I generally stick to full price. A few times I've thrown in extras for a buyer, or things like that. But yeah, I don't really like when no mention of price is made until they show up and offer less (and I already have 5 other people interested in the item).

I use the approach a PP mentioned. I usually initiate it up front, or ask if they have wiggle room on the price, or often say something like "I know you just listed this item, but if it doesn't sell for some reason, I'd be willing to pay X and can easily pick it up today or at your earliest convenience." I've found that being able to act ASAP on bigger items sometimes gets the seller to move their price lower or pick me out of the crowd of those interested. I have a U Haul store about 5 mins away so I have had good luck being clear that I can easily get a truck, etc. and get the item out of their way asap.

sewarsh
01-16-2012, 03:42 PM
This won't last - Nilo & Lego tables fly off CL so fast. I'm pretty certain they are going to turn you down if you offer less - just IMO. I'd negotiate first to not waste everyone's time.

Maxlee
01-16-2012, 03:53 PM
This won't last - Nilo & Lego tables fly off CL so fast. I'm pretty certain they are going to turn you down if you offer less - just IMO. I'd negotiate first to not waste everyone's time.

its been on there over a week . . . . what do you think a fair prices is?

Melaine
01-16-2012, 03:54 PM
its been on there over a week . . . . what do you think a fair prices is?

What are they asking and what is retail price?

Maxlee
01-16-2012, 03:56 PM
asking $200 retail about $375

Melaine
01-16-2012, 04:00 PM
I think offering $160 or $175 via email might be fine since it has been posted for a week....if it is in excellent shape.

Pennylane
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
I agree with everyone about negotiating the price first. I am always open to lowering the price, unless they try to do it at pick up. That just makes me mad!! I would email and offer $150 and just see what they say.

Ann

vahnessuh
01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
I get annoyed when people try to negotiate on the price and low ball like crazy. I always take lots of pictures and represent the item for what it is. I even go overboard with details on the description. So after all that email exchanges and we agree to meet up, I expect that they're okay with the price. I understand if they want to back out because I left out an important issue... but just because I'm not willing to lower my price is extremely rude especially when I take the time off of my busy schedule as a full time mom to meet at their convenience.

The other day I just sold an old Coach purse. I sent her a detailed description and pics of everything I described. She asked for a lowered price ($5 less than my list price) and I agreed. She was extremely nice and when we met up, I saw that she was young and new to the area. I decided right then and there to give her a much lowered price ($15 off list) without her asking or hinting for it. I normally do that... but only when I have a good feeling about the person.

poohbear
01-16-2012, 08:31 PM
I think the asking price would depend on the demand and condition of the item. I bought a new BJ City Elite Double stroller for $440 when they went on clearance and sold it for $400 on CL two years later. There was demand and a buyer.

I would generally get a feel for the item (through pictures) and negotiate the price that I'd be willing to pay, prior to arriving. If you get there and the item is in significantly different condition I would tell the seller that the condition wasn't what I was expecting and either offer them a smaller amount or just decline.

I've sold a number of items via Craigslist and we've always established price prior to the buyer arriving. If you feel it's overpriced, ask if they're willing to take $XXX instead. Depending on how long it's been listed, they might take it.

I sold and bought items from CL. I usually not bargain ahead of the game and not bargain in person, unless the item was misleading (fading, old, dirty)... I either agree with price, either do not apply to an add. I just don’t like that $10 (whatever) last taste. I prefer both sides to be happy and expect that when I am selling I am going to have the same experience.
As for a pricing... Depends... If it is high demand stroller, unless there is something wrong (hole, need repair), you can’t expect 75% off retail. If it is made of wood, the same, because this items tend to service longer than cheaply made once.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who negotiate after wasting your time coming to see the item (especially when it is in the exact condition it was advertised). Under normal circumstances, I won't negotiate and just send them on their way if they don't want to pay asking price. Recently I had a couple negotiate with me over a stroller and I'm just too pregnant to deal with it, so I took $25 less - they wanted to offer me about $75 less which was honestly obnoxious. But normally unless we have negotiated beforehand, I will not take less.

As for pricing, depends on condition and age of item.... If it's something new I try to find the lowest price available and price a bit lower than that. If it's something used, I look at the going rate on CL and price around that or less.