PDA

View Full Version : Lids or no Lids ....that is the question (Expedit storage bins)

PMJ
01-17-2012, 12:12 AM
If you have a Toddler, what do you prefer. Not sure if it makes any difference, but DD is an only child.

got some GREAT suggestions on diff. types of bins that can be used in the Expedit, now I just can't seem to decide if I should do the lids (CS Sweater boxes) or the CS mesh bins w/handles.

:)

PMJ
01-17-2012, 12:16 AM
CS Mesh bins (http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10009901&N=1000040&Nao=60&Ntt=bins) (in case you were wondering).

lhafer
01-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I have a combination of both mesh bins and sweater boxes. I don't stack the sweater boxes for now - only have 4 of them and use 1 per cubby. The rest of the space has the mesh bins except the top row. I keep the lids in a closet for now. I figure as the girls grow up, and the stuff in the expedit changes, I will want the lids later.

I don't think you have to do all of one or the other. I think you should look at what you will be putting in the bins/boxes that will most suit your kids' needs. I have mesh bins for most of their stuff. But for heavier items like blocks, magnatiles, etc I wanted something a little more sturdy - so those went in the sweater boxes.

I also like that the mesh bins fold up, so if you don't need them you can fold them flat and put them away. You can't do that with the hard plastic boxes. Or if it's out and a child falls on them - the mesh bins don't hurt.

hellokitty
01-17-2012, 09:31 AM
No lids. When I keep the lids on, my kids step on them and try to break them. I don't like the mesh boxes either, something else that they try to destroy. STerlite containers have worked out the best for us.

mikala
01-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Some of our containers have lids but we quickly stopped using them and instead just slide baskets in and out. The lids were just getting in the way and the toddler was constantly stepping on them.

I think it makes sense to have lids for smaller containers that stack within an Expedit cube but I'd go lidless for the bigger bins and baskets.

We primarily use these for storage:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20110540/

KrisM
01-17-2012, 10:24 AM
I like having a couple of the sweater boxes with lids. They hold things like puzzles that I really don't want kids dumping out. My kids have a hard time opening them until 5 yo or so. Lids were great for keeping DS2 out of things :).

Otherwise, no lids is great.

WatchingThemGrow
01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
lids when you are stacking boxes 2 high, of course. Lids when something is a "complete kit" and you'd rather them not drag out 2 items from the box daily.

The multipurpose bins are open, and I find it really easy to put 1-2 items into the bin w/o having to slide it out of the shelf. We do not use lids on any of our big containers, EXCEPT for when we are rotating them out of play for a bit. Then, lids become invaluable. I *love* to have a stack of fresh toys already in the correct size bins, ready to slide into the Expedit. For example, we're soon going to reach into the attic, grab the Lincoln Logs bin and trade it out for Rokenbok. We don't have to dump the contents onto the floor, pour the old toy into the storage bin, then put the mass of toys into the Expedit bin. We just slide the old out, lid it, and slide the new in. Does that make sense?

The lidded ones are amazing for storage.