PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this sweater?

crl
01-17-2012, 12:36 AM
I am looking for one or two cheap kick around the house sweaters. I am uber picky though. Cannot have any wool or acrylic content. And it must be LONG enough that even if I reach up no belly shows.

What do you think of this ON sweater?

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=60790&vid=1&pid=897412&scid=897412022

If you like it, what color(s)? And what size? I am 5'7" and 130ish pounds and usually wear a four or a six on top. I'd rather have this fit big than small. I'm even thinking of getting a tall? But afraid the sleeves might be way too long then.

Catherine

DrSally
01-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Looks like it would be soft and fit your bill for long. Any chance you could see
Irl. I wonder if it would be thick enoough. Also, i'd want to see if it's soft or rough. Idk if i'd pay $30 , maybe $20. Not sure if the long would be too long since it seems long already. If you really want to insure length, i'd order tall and turn up the sleeves if they're too long. I like the pink/ brown or plain black. The green/blue is kinda preppy and might look good w/ your coloring-- you're fair, right?

crl
01-17-2012, 01:02 AM
You have a great memory! I am pale with blue eyes and dark brown hair.

Very unlikely I will make it to a B&M store again anytime soon. We were at the mall today and I usually only make it once every three or four months. :ROTFLMAO: I didn't have time to go to ON. I looked at Eddie Bauer and Nordys with no luck (EB stuff was too expensive and everything in my range at Nordstrom's had acrylic. :(. )

Catherine

ETA. There is a code for fifteen percent off. . . .

DrSally
01-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Well, if i see it, i'll let you k ow if it's soft. My main reservation is that sometimes cotton ON sweaters are scratchy/rough. It does look like it has some other content in there that might make it silky/softer.

And, i'm famous for my memory for detail ;)

Tondi G
01-17-2012, 01:22 AM
sounds like we have similar ideas/needs in sweaters. I can't wear wool at all ... I just hold wool and my hands start turning red! I think it's a cute little sweater. I would order it in Tall if you decide to pull the trigger.

kozachka
01-17-2012, 01:23 AM
I like white and yellow combo.

TwinFoxes
01-17-2012, 04:20 AM
I can't imagine paying $30 for an ON cotton blend sweater. I wonder what the "blend" is, how do you know it's not acrylic. Are the Canvas cotton/cashmere blend sweaters not what you're looking for? I have the cardigan in a few colors, and it's long enough for me and I'm pushing 5'9" (although my height is mostly in my legs). I'm sensitive to wool, and have had cashmere bother me before, but these are soft and warm.

wellyes
01-17-2012, 06:17 AM
If you have a kohl's or Macy's nearby, try them. Their house brands, Craft & Barrow and Charter Club, make similar sweaters -- similar cost -- better quality/comfort than ON.

crl
01-17-2012, 09:00 AM
I can't imagine paying $30 for an ON cotton blend sweater. I wonder what the "blend" is, how do you know it's not acrylic. Are the Canvas cotton/cashmere blend sweaters not what you're looking for? I have the cardigan in a few colors, and it's long enough for me and I'm pushing 5'9" (although my height is mostly in my legs). I'm sensitive to wool, and have had cashmere bother me before, but these are soft and warm.

The blend is specified in the description. No wool. No acrylic.

Based on the pictures, the LE Canvas cotton cashmere sweaters have that band at the bottom that is slightly smaller than the body of the sweater. I hate that. I have hated that look since I was a teenager. Told you I am uber picky.

Catherine

crl
01-17-2012, 09:01 AM
If you have a kohl's or Macy's nearby, try them. Their house brands, Craft & Barrow and Charter Club, make similar sweaters -- similar cost -- better quality/comfort than ON.

Not likely to make it back to an actual store until winter is over.

Thanks!
Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm the most boring person in the world and would choose gray. :)

crl
01-17-2012, 10:03 AM
I'm the most boring person in the world and would choose gray. :)

I'm thinking black so I must be the second most boring person in the world. Of course, black will probably fade so maybe gray would be better. Dh likes the blue and green stripe. . . . I think the yellow and white is super cute, but I look terrible in yellow.

Catherine

TwinFoxes
01-17-2012, 10:32 AM
The blend is specified in the description. No wool. No acrylic.

I'm on my iPhone, the description only had "blend". :)

IME, ON clothes do not last long. The sweater isn't unattractive or anything, it just seems really over priced, and you might have to look again next season if it doesn't hold up. It also looks more like a thick tshirt than what I would call a sweater. But for inside it might be warm enough.

crl
01-17-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm on my iPhone, the description only had "blend". :)

IME, ON clothes do not last long. The sweater isn't unattractive or anything, it just seems really over priced, and you might have to look again next season if it doesn't hold up. It also looks more like a thick tshirt than what I would call a sweater. But for inside it might be warm enough.

Hmm, I have had really mixed experiences with ON. Some things have lasted way longer than comparable items from far more expensive places and others haven't held up well at all. Guess it is a bit of a crapshoot.

Catherine

DrSally
01-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Based on the reviews, i would order tall if you do order.

TwinFoxes
01-17-2012, 11:13 AM
ON has a 30% off code on their site today. $21 for that seems much more reasonable. Hope it works out!

ilfaith
01-17-2012, 11:25 AM
ON has a 30% off code on their site today. $21 for that seems much more reasonable. Hope it works out!

I think for the discounted price it is cute (I never pay full price at Old Navy/Gap/Banana, because there is always a sale of some sort). I particularly like the black and white or blue and green stripes. A couple of the reviewers found the sweater a little shorter than they'd have liked, so you might want to consider getting the long. It's the sort of sweater where turning up the sleeves wouldn't be a problem.

crl
01-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Ah, thank you! Much better than the 15 percent off yesterday. Now to decide, one or two and colors. . . .

Catherine

DrSally
01-17-2012, 01:45 PM
30% off, go for it!

AnnieW625
01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I can't see paying $30 for an Old Navy crew neck sweater either (although today you do get an extra 10% off using your gap card), but I like it better in red than I do in black and white.

I will say that I did buy a heavy all cotton no button cardigan at ON in October for $25 or $30 and I have been very happy with it. It is long out of stock now, but for ON the quality seemed very similar to the Gap.

(FWIW, I always thought of you as a blond with longish hair)

crl
01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
(FWIW, I always thought of you as a blond with longish hair)

Isn't it funny how we picture people? I have very, very dark brown hair and it is short. :D

Catherine