PDA

View Full Version : If you are dieting, how much do you spend on pants (or clothes)?

AnnieW625
01-17-2012, 02:22 PM
I hit the 40% off sale at Ann Taylor over the weekend and picked up four pairs of pants for $76, $41, $35, and $29. I got all excited and grabbed all of the one style of pants that fit me. Turns out the $29 pair is going back (just too much gap in the waist), but I am also debating about taking the $76 pair back.

Since I am still trying to lose 20lbs should I just return the $76 pair of pants even though they are black, lined, a wool blend, and they fit perfectly now? I was thinking that $40-45 should be my absolute max.

For me I don't have a limit on tops or sweaters because most of the weight I need to lose in my lower stomach, and my butt/thighs. I also have a broad back so I have almost always had to buy medium or large shirts even though I am small in the boob department.

What are your thoughts?

lowrioh
01-17-2012, 02:41 PM
I hit the 40% off sale at Ann Taylor over the weekend and picked up four pairs of pants for $76, $41, $35, and $29. I got all excited and grabbed all of the one style of pants that fit me. Turns out the $29 pair is going back (just too much gap in the waist), but I am also debating about taking the $76 pair back.

Since I am still trying to lose 20lbs should I just return the $76 pair of pants even though they are black, lined, a wool blend, and they fit perfectly now? I was thinking that $40-45 should be my absolute max.

For me I don't have a limit on tops or sweaters because most of the weight I need to lose in my lower stomach, and my butt/thighs. I also have a broad back so I have almost always had to buy medium or large shirts even though I am small in the boob department.

What are your thoughts?

I would return the $76 pair. IME, it's important to get yourself some clothing during the weight loss process because you want to feel good about your new body but personally, $76 is a lot for a pair of pants.

I'm in a similar boat as you. I've lost 18 pounds so all my clothing is too big but I want to lose another 5-10 pounds. I went to NY&Co and got a few pairs of pants on clearance and picked up a pair of skinny jeans at ON (which are now too big :cheerleader1:).

Congrats on the weightloss!

AngB
01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Congrats on the weight loss!

I agree that $76 is more than I would spend on a pair of pants between sizes, and NY & Co is where I got a lot of good deals on clothes as I was going back and forth between sizes.

wencit
01-17-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure about your lower body structure, but for me, 20lbs is a lot! We're talking at least a couple pants sizes. I bet those $76 pants will be swimming on you once you lose the rest of the weight! ;) I'd save that money for when you hit your goal and splurge then.

AnnieW625
01-17-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure about your lower body structure, but for me, 20lbs is a lot! We're talking at least a couple pants sizes. I bet those $76 pants will be swimming on you once you lose the rest of the weight! ;) I'd save that money for when you hit your goal and splurge then.

20lbs would put me down at a 10 depending on the brand, maybe an 8 but mostly a 10. I am a 12-14 now and I have a butt and hips. I have always had a problem with pants because of my hips but now it just seems worse that I actually have a butt, which I didn't have much of pre kids. I also have an issue with the crotch being to short in many pants that fit me in the waist and then I have to deal with the dreaded camel toe issue.

newg
01-17-2012, 03:43 PM
would you be able to get them altered as you continue to loose weight?

maiaann
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
How fast are you losing the weight?

5 lbs is a pant size for me, but I'm only 5'0" tall. I've also been trying to lose 5 lbs for 2 years now. :p

How is your budget & how well do you like them? If you think that they will fit the rest of the season & you can afford it - I'd keep them and enjoy them! If you think only a few lbs will make them too loose and you think you'll lose those lbs quickly, it's probably not worth the splurge.

Regardless, congrats on your weight loss! :thumbsup:

weech
01-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Congrats on the weight loss! I'd definitely return them. I've lost 50lbs in the last 20 months or so and I feel like I'm changing sizes all.the.time! It's just not worth it to buy a pair of pants that costs more than $30-40 bucks.

elektra
01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
I have been super selective on pants buys this past year while losing weight.
I would also return the $76 pair.
I think $40-45 is a good range to try to stick to for pants as you lose.
I think the Ann Taylor pants I got this year were about $40.

kozachka
01-18-2012, 04:21 AM
I think it depends on how close you are to your perfect weight and how quickly you've been able to lose weight in your lower body before. I carry extra weight in my hips and butt, too, but tend to lose weight in my upper body first, so even though I dropped over 10 pounds in the last year or so it has translated to only one pants size in most brands, two in less fitted style. I am getting very close to the upper limit of my (pre and) post baby weight, and since I am 7 years older now probably close to my ideal non-dieting, non-overexercising weight, so I'd be thrilled to lose another 5-7 pounds in the next 12 months. I plan on buying one new pair of black pants (it's on the way to me already) and having another one taken in.

I work in a fairly conservative business casual office, which means I wear black pants at least once a week. It is also not easy for me to find pants that fit me perfectly, so if I could find a pair for $75-$100 and wear them for 10-12 months, I'd find money in my budget to do it. I have only 3 pairs of pants in my work wardrobe, not counting jeans that I wear on Fridays, so I make sure they are good quality, which unfortunately means that I paid at least $75 for each pair and that was on 50-75% off sale. Also that money would not make or break our family budget, so yeah, I'd keep the more expensive pants.

Melaine
01-18-2012, 07:25 AM
I would return the $76 pair. IME, it's important to get yourself some clothing during the weight loss process because you want to feel good about your new body but personally, $76 is a lot for a pair of pants.

I'm in a similar boat as you. I've lost 18 pounds so all my clothing is too big but I want to lose another 5-10 pounds. I went to NY&Co and got a few pairs of pants on clearance and picked up a pair of skinny jeans at ON (which are now too big :cheerleader1:).

Congrats on the weightloss!

:yeahthat: I tried to shop really cheaply when I was losing.

WatchingThemGrow
01-18-2012, 07:39 AM
I probably wouldn't keep $76 pants if I were actively losing weight, hoping to lose more. Not totally sure I'd keep them at my goal weight either. But then, who am I to talk since I don't have any pants that actually fit.

Most of my pants came from a clothing swap with other mamas.

alexsmommy
01-18-2012, 09:13 AM
I did leggings, but I can wear them to work. I bought two pairs of pants right when I was starting to lose and totally regret it. I think they were about $40 from ATL. They are almost brand new, perfect condition, and were falling off of me within two months. I got them in fall and until it's really cold here I like to wear skirts so they sat while I lost weight.
I did buy one pair from ATL for $28 and I'm happy at that price... but I would not pay anything over $30 right now. My hope is to hit my goal weight/size at the beginning of summer and make sure I'm maintaining it. Then in fall I'll invest in some high quality ones again. I miss having good pants, but I'd rather wait and spend the money on some great ones once I know for sure where my "no more babies" working out eating right body lands.

Off to look for some more leggings to order...