PDA

View Full Version : Honeyville 20% off code

hellokitty
01-17-2012, 02:48 PM
For those who are looking for a good deal on bulk grains, including gluten free stuff (ie: almond flour), they have a 20% off code right now. Type in code: 2012 My friend who told me about this deal said that it is a lot better than their typical code which is only 15% off. So, if you need to stock up, here's the time to do so.

www.honeyvillegrain.com

brittone2
01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Nice! We loooove their almond flour. Much better results than with Bob's Red Mill.

diamond
01-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Do u have to buy the huge 50lbs bag for flours? Don't they have smaller sizes? Also what do you guys recommend for sugar? I am confused with several options. Also the freeze dried fruit good but don't you think it is really expensive for a can for 30$ which is non organic and few ounces at best? What appeals to u moms to buy them? Am I missing something? Ty

hellokitty
01-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Do u have to buy the huge 50lbs bag for flours? Don't they have smaller sizes? Also what do you guys recommend for sugar? I am confused with several options. Also the freeze dried fruit good but don't you think it is really expensive for a can for 30$ which is non organic and few ounces at best? What appeals to u moms to buy them? Am I missing something? Ty

I have never ordered from this site before, but I have a friend who loves it, so she told me about it. You can get 20% off of anything. I only got a 5 lb bag of almond flour, since I want to try it out. I didn't order much more items, it's still overwhelming to me, so I decided just to try one thing.

brittone2
01-17-2012, 03:55 PM
I buy my almond flour (Honeyville but I usually purchase via amazon with prime) in 5lb bags. They have smaller quantities on their site. I'll probably buy 2-3 5 lb bags, as I have a bag and a half at home already. My mom also uses it and will want some at this price.

I prefer that size so that I don't risk a whole bag going rancid.

sidmand
01-17-2012, 04:06 PM

I've been buying from their site for over six years now. I've mostly purchased freeze dried fruit and the price per can can get a bit high but I find the prices for freeze dried fruit ARE pretty high anywhere and you get more in a can for the money than I've found elsewhere.

FWIW they often have 10% off codes and shipping is a flat $4.49 no matter how big or how small the shipment...but in 6 years I've NEVER seen 20% off.

willow33
01-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Anyone know what the difference is between almond flour and almond meal? I buy almond meal at Trader Joe's. Is it just that almond meal is more coarse?

I was hoping they would have coconut flour as that is my new favorite. I made these Coconut Flour Pancakes and they were so yummy!!

http://www.unrefinedkitchen.com/2011/08/19/coconut-flour-pancakes/

hellokitty
01-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Anyone know what the difference is between almond flour and almond meal? I buy almond meal at Trader Joe's. Is it just that almond meal is more coarse?

I was hoping they would have coconut flour as that is my new favorite. I made these Coconut Flour Pancakes and they were so yummy!!

Lol, I want to try coconut flour. Did you ever get around to trying coconut oil? I remember you were asking me about it. I just ordered two more huge tubs of it last wk from amazon when they had it on sale.

willow33
01-17-2012, 04:28 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list of things to buy. I just read the book The Primal Blueprint and www.wellnessmama.com and I'm determined to make some changes in our eating habits.

brittone2
01-17-2012, 04:33 PM

nak
almond meal has the skins but is ground more coarsely. Almond flour from honeyville has the skins removed (blanched), so when you bake with it everything also looks lighter. I get different textures from almond meal, Bob's Red mill almond flour, and honeyville. You can use them interchangeably in some recipes, but honeyville IME gives the nicest results. Many people on the LC forums I read feel the same way. My mom was using it before I was, and I could totally tell the difference in some of her recipes when she switched. Finer crumb I guess? I would use almond meal in a pinch but get better results from almond flour for many things. And I prefer Honeyville to Bob's for sure. IME the difference is noticeable.

We use coconut flour too. THe brands really vary. The only thing I don't like about it is having to use like 6 eggs for some recipes because it soaks up so much moisture. There are certain things I love coconut flour for though.

We use coconut oil too.

hellokitty
01-17-2012, 04:35 PM
nak
almond meal has the skins but is ground more coarsely. Almond flour from honeyville has the skins removed (blanched), so when you bake with it everything also looks lighter. I get different textures from almond meal, Bob's Red mill almond flour, and honeyville. You can use them interchangeably in some recipes, but honeyville IME gives the nicest results. Many people on the LC forums I read feel the same way. My mom was using it before I was, and I could totally tell the difference in some of her recipes when she switched. Finer crumb I guess?

We use coconut flour too. THe brands really vary. The only thing I don't like about it is having to use like 6 eggs for some recipes because it soaks up so much moisture. There are certain things I love coconut flour for though.

We use coconut oil too.

So, OT, but I'm wondering which coconut flour brands you would recommend.

brittone2
01-17-2012, 04:37 PM
So, OT, but I'm wondering which coconut flour brands you would recommend.

I forget what I have. I think the stuff from the Tiana website? I don't have it handy at the moment.

IME different brands sometimes react differently. Some soak up more moisture, some soak up less, so sometimes you have to play around with the amount of liquid. Some are also more coconutty. When it really comes into play is following a recipe someone else developed using a different brand of coconut flour. If you blindly put in the same amount of liquid, sometimes it doesn't work quite right. It is just something to keep in mind as you work with it. eta: I like it in waffles, pancakes, some quickbreads/muffins, and carrot cake :)

hellokitty
01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
I forget what I have. I think the stuff from the Tiana website? I don't have it handy at the moment.

IME different brands sometimes react differently. Some soak up more moisture, some soak up less, so sometimes you have to play around with the amount of liquid. Some are also more coconutty. When it really comes into play is following a recipe someone else developed using a different brand of coconut flour. If you blindly put in the same amount of liquid, sometimes it doesn't work quite right. It is just something to keep in mind as you work with it.

OK, thanks! My friend who does primal did not mention how fussy coconut flour can be. So, this is good to know.

brittone2
01-17-2012, 04:42 PM
OK, thanks! My friend who does primal did not mention how fussy coconut flour can be. So, this is good to know.
Most of the time it works out fine, but it is just one of those things to watch out for.

I just checked and my bag is from Tropical Traditions. I"ve used a few different brands through the years. I know a lot of people like Aloha Nu too I think?

Jo..
01-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Their freeze dried grapes are amazing. Taste like crunchy candy grapes, but no sugar added.

hellokitty
01-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Their freeze dried grapes are amazing. Taste like crunchy candy grapes, but no sugar added.

Thanks for the recommendation! Those sound yummy!