PDA

View Full Version : Wet ski pants

niccig
01-17-2012, 03:43 PM
We went skiing over the weekend and on the 3rd day I was much colder despite similar temps. Turns out, I was wet through to my long underwear and panties on the right and slightly on my left. DH had a much smaller wet patch. It has snowed and the chair lifts were all wet, so I think it was this as I did not fall over.

My pants are columbia brand (didn't want to spend a lot as not sure how much I would use them), and I do have a hole in them in the bottom, but I patched it with water tight patch - but maybe not enough. Though, this doesn't explain DH getting wet, and his pants are Spyder brand. DS was completely dry.

Both pants say they're water proof - maybe not. Am I expecting too much for snow pants to cope with sitting on wet chair lifts?

cono0507
01-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Your ski pants definitely shouldn't let water soak through to your skin. Huge bummer! Could you have washed them with fabric softener or something that could have broken down the waterproofing?
We're you sweating a lot?
I bought the insulated Patagonia snow belle pants on sale earlier this month and am in love. If you do end up replacing yours check these out.

niccig
01-17-2012, 05:32 PM
No fabric softener. They're new pants, got them in December, wore them skiing over Christmas and again last weekend. And have not washed them yet (Ok, that might be a gross admission)

I think maybe the 2 cuts I have in them are to blame - I fell on my skis and have 2 slits, about an inch long on my bottom. I can try a different waterproof patch on them.

I might look for another pair from a place with good return. Try these again with a different patch, and have the new pair as back-up. I know they're not the best brand, but as we're new to skiing, I didn't want to spend too much.

DH said he's thermals were a little wet, but not sure if sweat or water.

Thanks for the patagonia rec. I'll keep an eye out for a sale - I've got some time until we go skiing again.

nfowife
01-17-2012, 05:46 PM
I think you should contact columbia personally. falling on your skis during the first few days should NOT result in 2 slits in the bottoms of the pants IMO. They are certainly not top quality but nowhere near the bottom cheapies. And your DH should DEFINITELY contact spyder. Those are $$$ and should not have let water seep through for sure.

niccig
01-17-2012, 06:18 PM
I though some slits in pants was normal wear. My sister said she has some on the lower legs from her skis, she puts a patch on them, and still fine to use. DH has a slit on one leg at the hem.

cono0507
01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't expect slits/cuts with normal wear. The pants I wore for the past 3 years were Obermeyers and never ripped or had slits or anything. DH's Columbia pants are at least 7 yrs old and no tears of any kind and he falls all the time lately while he's been trying to tackle the moguls. I agree - contact Columbia. Doesn't sounds like normal wear and tear.

niccig
01-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks. I'll contact columbia and spyder.

I spoke with my BIL, who's an avid skier, and he told me in wet snow conditions like we had, he wears goretex hiking pants as a shell with thermals underneath, as his skis pants are not goretex and he will get a bit wet, like DH did. My level of wetness was due to the 2 slits in the bottom, the patch didn't work. I do have goretex hiking pants, so that's an option

I'll see what I can do with Columbia. My BIL suggested, if I can't get them replaced, that he's used duct tape if he catches the inner leg, so I might end up with duct tape on my butt. I'm still learning, so don't want to buy more gear if I can avoid it. When I do look for something new, I think I want bibs. My waist is much smaller than my butt, and even though I adjusted the waist on the bands, I had some issues with too low rise. We get DS bibs for this reason, so I might do the same.

nfowife
01-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Just as an FYI, my DH's ski pants are hand me downs from an uncle and are a good 20 years old at least. He is a pretty good skier and learned with these pants. No slits. I have a pair of Marker ski pants that were $40 on overstock and I've gone on 2 trips and no slits. Call columbia.

MontrealMum
01-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Are they Gore-Tex or similar? Even that needs to be refreshed every now and again, especially if you've been washing your waterproof items with detergent (not that you said you were, but it can contribute to eroding that quality). I would not call Columbia before trying to refresh the waterproof-ness yourself first. That's also likely what they'll tell you to do. Though the question of slits is worrisome.

There are treatments you can buy, some are topical sprays and some go in the washing machine.
http://www.rei.com/product/793105/revivex-air-dry-water-repellent-spray-5-oz?avad=3816_c26f5fe5&cm_mmc=AL-_-3184-_-3816-_-Custom+Link&avad=3816_c26f5fe5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F793105%2F revivex-air-dry-water-repellent-spray-5-oz%3Favad%3D3816_c26f5fe5%26cm_mmc%3DAL-_-3184-_-3816-_-Custom%2BLink
http://www.rei.com/product/724690/nikwax-tx-direct-20-wash-in-water-repellent-treatment-10-oz
Here's the whole REI list for treatments: http://www.rei.com/category/40006343
And here's a seam sealer that DH has used: http://www.rei.com/product/603034/gear-aid-seam-grip-seam-sealer

mackmama
01-18-2012, 07:14 PM
I'd say it's because of the cuts in the fabric. That's a major bummer to ski with wet pants/skin. I think some other brands have thicker fabric that doesn't tear as easily. You might need to try a different brand ( like north face).