PDA

View Full Version : Cate the Great worth it?

*myfoursons
01-17-2012, 05:52 PM
So I bought the Cate the Great boots after being annoyed by cold toes in my current snow boots.

I got them today, and they're ... fine, style-wise. My feet look huge, so it's not like a cute snow bunny look or anything. But, I'll definitely keep them if they're really going to be waterproof in the snow and keep my toes warm.

Are they worth it?

AnnieW625
01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I just ordered Joan of Artic because I kept going back and forth as to if I really need them or not, but I figure WTH? and ordered them anyways. I also ordered two other Sorel boots (Snow Angel, and Milano Breve). We don't live in a snowy area so I'd only be wearing these less than 10-20 days a year when we visit my Grandma, but yeah I totally know what you mean about them being worth it. I'll report back when I get mine too. Thank goodness Piper Lime has free returns (and 20% off through 1/19) because one pair is going back!

artvandalay
01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
I know Sorels are popular here, but I couldn't get them to work for me. They are really wide in the front of the shoe... they can also be a little heavy. I tried two different pairs and just couldn't get past it. I also don't think I could easily drive in them because they were so wide. I drive everywhere so I need a pair that will work in the car. The Cates are cute, though :)

nupe
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM
So I bought the Cate the Great boots after being annoyed by cold toes in my current snow boots.

I got them today, and they're ... fine, style-wise. My feet look huge, so it's not like a cute snow bunny look or anything. But, I'll definitely keep them if they're really going to be waterproof in the snow and keep my toes warm.

Are they worth it?

They have been for me! I got them in Nov 2010 at REI. I found the 8 to be too short. The 9 was a bit big and floppy, even with a thick sock, so I got the superfeet insert. I could try it on together at the store and it was the answer for me. I got some arch support from the insert, and it ate up the "extra" space in the boot. http://www.rei.com/product/724375/superfeet-green-premium-insoles-high-volume

Up to this year I had only worn them with thick socks (wool or thorlo hikers) and they made my feet too hot if I somehow ended up indoors all day. Thought it was the boot. However this year I wore them once with thinner, less warm socks (k bell wool from costco) and did not bake indoors, and they kept me plenty warm outdoors.

I don't have dainty feet to start with. They do make my feet look larger, but for warmth and dryness, they are top notch!

mackmama
01-18-2012, 07:16 PM
I know Sorels are popular here, but I couldn't get them to work for me. They are really wide in the front of the shoe... they can also be a little heavy. I tried two different pairs and just couldn't get past it. I also don't think I could easily drive in them because they were so wide. I drive everywhere so I need a pair that will work in the car. The Cates are cute, though :)

:yeahthat: I just don't love Sorels either. I want to, but they are so heavy and wide. I like the Cates the best in terms of looks. Curious to hear what you think of them when you get them.

mjmamma
01-20-2012, 03:50 PM
I have the Black Caribou and while they are a bit bulky, I do expect that from a 'true' snow boot and yes, they work. I pretty much hate the snow and cold. Uggg, but I purchased these to go sledding with the kids in NH and they have been awesome for that..I can't imagine driving in them since they're kind of stiff but they definitely serve their snow purpose
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EMU3YC/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details

abh5e8
01-20-2012, 05:34 PM
i have them in stone...and i love them. but, i havn't tried other Sorel's. My step mom surprised me with them for my bday. they are very warm. i sized down...i wear a 7.5 or 8 in pretty much everything, but the 7s are a great fit. very warm and dry and comfy.

newg
01-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I just got my Cates today in a size 10. It was a 20 degree day, but dry, so I wore them to run some errands. I had no problem driving in them. And I just wore a pair of plain, cotton socks....my feet were nice and toasty the whole day!
They are a snow boot for sure, but sooooo cute......even on my size 10 feet!

nupe
01-21-2012, 11:21 AM
I just got my Cates today in a size 10. It was a 20 degree day, but dry, so I wore them to run some errands. I had no problem driving in them. And I just wore a pair of plain, cotton socks....my feet were nice and toasty the whole day!

Great!!

DrSally
01-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Glad they worked out for you! my Kamiks are warm, but not super cute, but that was my trade off for the lower price.

TwinFoxes
01-21-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm wearing mine today. The conditions are awful for walking. Snow with a thick layer of ice. My feet are warm, and completely dry. And I felt very sure footed on the ice, which is the best thing. :) I think they run big, and the toe is bulkier than I expected, but they are cute and functional. I got mine in August, so I didn't pay $200, love those pre-season sales!

newg
01-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Glad they worked out for you! my Kamiks are warm, but not super cute, but that was my trade off for the lower price.

I got lucky and found them for a great price on REI, which helped DH swallow the second pair of boots I ordered too ;)

abh5e8
01-21-2012, 03:58 PM
mine were a bit tough to walk in (stiff) at first, but after a couple afternoons of chasing the kids around in them, they feel great. toasty toes, which is just what i wanted...and no slush or wetness on the ends of my pants. :)

*myfoursons
01-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I decided to keep them. I think they run a teeny bit big, but I kept my regular size (too lazy to exchange). I was out shoveling and my toes kept nice and warm!