PDA

View Full Version : Throwing out my RA50-- what can/should I keep?

Snow mom
01-17-2012, 11:16 PM
The "crashed" RA50 that has been sitting in my guest bedroom is finally going. It was unoccupied when my car was hit. I have a classic MA so I'd like to keep compatible parts that are still okay. Obviously the plastic shell, LATCH strap, and tether were directly involved in the accident and need to go. Can I keep the foam, styrofoam backer, chest clip, and harness straps? I would keep them labelled as having come from this seat and would respect the 50 lb limit if I were to use any of the parts on my MA65.

jjordan
01-18-2012, 11:35 AM
The only thing on your list that I'm having trouble with is the harness straps. Otherwise, I'd keep the things that you mentioned.

Snow mom
01-18-2012, 08:39 PM
The only thing on your list that I'm having trouble with is the harness straps. Otherwise, I'd keep the things that you mentioned.

I'm pretty sure you can keep harness straps if the seat was unoccupied, the main problem to me is that the RA50 isn't technically the same seat as the MA65 (although I'm honestly not sure what all the differences were beyond the lack of lock offs/LATCH bar/HUGS and lower weight limit... they had an awful lot of similarities.) Thanks for the feedback.

jjordan
01-18-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm pretty sure you can keep harness straps if the seat was unoccupied, the main problem to me is that the RA50 isn't technically the same seat as the MA65 (although I'm honestly not sure what all the differences were beyond the lack of lock offs/LATCH bar/HUGS and lower weight limit... they had an awful lot of similarities.) Thanks for the feedback.

Absolutely, if you had another RA50, then I would for sure keep the harness straps. I'm just not sure about keeping them for use on a marathon.

You could call Britax customer service and see what they say. If the RA50 harness is the same as the MA65 harness, then they should know.

Multimama
01-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't keep the harness straps because it is not the same seat and they actually harness to different weights, which to me says the harness may very well be different. I'd feel better about putting an MA65 harness on an RA50, but to put the harness of a seat that harnesses to a lower weight on a higher weight seat just seems to me potentially dangerous.