PDA

View Full Version : what to wear for long walks in the cold?

doberbrat
01-19-2012, 12:32 AM
I walk dd1 to school and usually grab a dog or 2 and go for a long-ish walk in the am. Generally I just wear whatever jeans I had on the day before and shower when we get back but jeans or even sweat pants in <25 weather w/wind is pretty cold.

past few days I've been wearing my le down vest over a shirt & sweatshirt and jeans. my hips and upper thighs have been freezing as have my ears. We usually walk for about 45 min so being cold for that long isnt much fun.

crl
01-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Do you have long underwear you can layer under the pants?

And a hat to pull down over your ears?

Catherine

pinkmomagain
01-19-2012, 09:05 AM
I would definitely scout for a long down coat to cover the hips/upper legs. Maybe you'll find a good deal right now. I walk an hour every morning and that does help. Hats, hoods, ear muffs for the head and ears should help too.

wellyes
01-19-2012, 09:18 AM
I'd either get flannel lined jeans from ll bean or pick up a good pair of ski pants - they are well insulated. You could wear the same pair everyday without having to wash them for a good while. Sierra trading post has quality brands cheap and there are additional % off coupons.

cvanbrunt
01-19-2012, 09:23 AM
I wear workout tights/leggings underneath my jeans.

alexsmommy
01-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Layers are key for me. I freeze and if I know I have to be outside for logn periods of time I go for layers.

mackmama
01-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I would wear cords or wool pants. Jeans - even with long underwear - just aren't comfortable in really cold weather imo. I'd get a wool hat with flannel-lined ear flaps from REI.

lizzywednesday
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM
When I trained for my first two-day breast cancer walk (in 2004), I used to layer pantyhose under running tights in the bitter cold days of January. I can't face more than a mile or two in jeans, personally, or my thighs chafe.

I bought a new coat (with a hood) from Land's End - I think it was the Squall Coat - a size larger than I needed at the time so I could add layers on top.

I wore a thin pair of performance socks layered under a thicker pair of SmartWool running socks.

Consider base layers of silk, wool or microfiber/wicking fabric. CuddlDuds is a good brand that's readily available; you can also try Land's End's silk thermal underwear - it adds just enough of a base layer to keep out the wind, but not so much that you won't be able to pull a pair of jeans or yoga pants over the top.

Hope this helps!